• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the differences between Para-Vasudeva and His Chatur Vyuhas?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Para-Vasudeva is the Supreme Principle, and is Narayana Himself, but what of His Chatur Vyuhas? How are they different from Para-Vasudeva and with themselves? Just in case you are unaware, these forms are Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Pradyumna, and Aniruddha.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on the context. If you're talking about manifestations then the Chatur Vyahus are akin to something like "layers" or delegates. They represent the causes of creation.

Shantanu

Para-Vasudeva is the Supreme Principle, and is Narayana Himself, but what of His Chatur Vyuhas? How are they different from Para-Vasudeva and with themselves? Just in case you are unaware, these forms are Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Pradyumna, and Aniruddha.
In your school is Vasudeva the avatar Krishna, an incarnation of Vishnu (Naryana)?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
In your school is Vasudeva the avatar Krishna, an incarnation of Vishnu (Naryana)?
In this context all names in the OP denote Narayana, not His Krishna form. Vasudeva is not a name meant exclusively for Lord Krishna.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
What does Chatur Vyuha mean?
I believe i means "Four fold manifestation" (of Para-Vasudeva). These 4 manifestations being Vyuha-Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Pradyumna, and Aniruddha

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
My apologies @Shantanu, Lord Krishna, being the Supreme Being, would mean all names would denote Him, as He is Narayana Himself.

Lord Krishna: I am (the indweller of) Brahma, the primeval master of all creatures, have started into birth from Him, and thou hast taken thy birth from me. From me have flowed the universe with all its mobile and immobile creatures, and all the Vedas, O son, with their mysteries. Divided into four portions (Aniruddha, Pradyumna, Sankarshana, and Vasudeva).

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on the context. If you're talking about manifestations then the Chatur Vyahus are akin to something like "layers" or delegates. They represent the causes of creation.
Thanks SR :)

Shantanu

My apologies @Shantanu, Lord Krishna, being the Supreme Being, would mean all names would denote Him, as He is Narayana Himself.

Lord Krishna: I am (the indweller of) Brahma, the primeval master of all creatures, have started into birth from Him, and thou hast taken thy birth from me. From me have flowed the universe with all its mobile and immobile creatures, and all the Vedas, O son, with their mysteries. Divided into four portions (Aniruddha, Pradyumna, Sankarshana, and Vasudeva).
I recognise Sri Krishna as Paramatma, who resides in our minds and bodies and with whom one interacts through achintya bhed abheda tatwa communications such that when one is in surrender mode one does not know who is uttering something God or jiva until one uses a device to get direct messages from Him.

Through Sri Krishna's maya the entire universe has come into being and develops further. Sri Krishna's mind, maya and the material universe is named Para-Brahman. Brahman is composed of all the energy of the universe, which in turn contains the guna consciousness energy described here: Consciousness Energy of the Universe and here: The characteristics of human evolution through consciousness.

This explains further: Brahman in Hindu cosmogony and religion.

So I only know these three aspects of the Lord: His mind, His maya (the creative power that is indescribable and magical) and Brahman (energy of the universe). Perhaps Hindus in the past did not understand that Sri Kirshna's maya can never be understood by science so tried to attribute Para-Vasudeva/Maha Vishnu/Narayana to imagined Chatur Vyuhas.

Last edited: