• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Some Subtler, More Personal Cultural Practices That You Follow Routinely?

@Debater Slayer

Perhaps you can clarify this. i've read that in islamic culture nobody is permitted to use their left as their predominant hand as it's viewed as the "*** wiping hand" and thus unclean. I'm left-handed, but use my right to clean up in that regard. However, I wash both my hands thoroughly so it should be a moot point.
Or is there more to it than that?

It's not necessarily Islamic culture, but also in places where you traditionally wash your arse after a dump rather than use toilet paper.

You tend not to pass things to others using your left hand (or apologise if you are forced to). It's more a matter of politeness these days than an expectation that they haven't washed their hands. Many people will be trained not to be left handed, but there seem to be a few more left-handed people these days although still far fewer than would be expected.

When I go back to Europe I find myself subconsciously transferring stuff to my right hand before handing it over which probably seems a bit odd at times :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's not necessarily Islamic culture, but also in places where you traditionally wash your arse after a dump rather than use toilet paper.

You tend not to pass things to others using your left hand (or apologise if you are forced to). It's more a matter of politeness these days than an expectation that they haven't washed their hands. Many people will be trained not to be left handed, but there seem to be a few more left-handed people these days although still far fewer than would be expected.

When I go back to Europe I find myself subconsciously transferring stuff to my right hand before handing it over which probably seems a bit odd at times :D

Don't you just love the subconscious? It gets really good at hiding itself from the conscious mind. It takes an insightful observation to catch things like that. A wonderful study, the subconscious. Once upon a time I caught my addiction to the calculator. I had punched in 2 plus 2. That was a mindblower for me. I went .. What????

It's equally fun to observe it in others, but it takes some time, and a keen observation.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken, hand dominance is genetic.

Also, I would never apologize for using my left hand and would disregard any arbitrary, nonsensical customs regarding such.

If I'm not mistaken, hand dominance is genetic.

It is, but children will often be taught to use their other hand.

Also, I would never apologize for using my left hand and would disregard any arbitrary, nonsensical customs regarding such.

Many rules of politeness are arbitrary though. Do you reject politeness in general, or only forms of politeness that don't match your cultural upbringing?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It is, but children will often be taught to use their other hand.
Bad parenting.

Many rules of politeness are arbitrary though. Do you reject politeness in general, or only forms of politeness that don't match your cultural upbringing?
Politeness is about showing respect. From my perspective, expecting me not to use my primary hand over some irrational hang-up is disrespectful toward me.

Bad parenting.

Arguably, although given children can learn to use their weaker hand fairly easily it could also be considered bad parenting to expose a child to a degree of social stigmatisation if you perceived that this was likely to be the consequence of using their left hand (whether it would lead to mild social stigmatisation would depend on the conservativeness of the local culture).

Politeness is about showing respect. From my perspective, expecting me not to use my primary hand over some irrational hang-up is disrespectful toward me.

I'm not sure if this is a misunderstanding.

You can use your left hand in general without being rude. Just when you are interacting with someone else, for example paying in a shop, it is considered impolite. If you need to use your left hand as your other hand is full, you would just acknowledge this as a courtesy.

You would refuse to do something so easy if you went to a country that considers it polite?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Arguably, although given children can learn to use their weaker hand fairly easily it could also be considered bad parenting to expose a child to a degree of social stigmatisation if you perceived that this was likely to be the consequence of using their left hand (whether it would lead to mild social stigmatisation would depend on the conservativeness of the local culture).
This same argument is used by the pro-circumcision crowd in the U.S.

I'm not sure if this is a misunderstanding.
You can use your left hand in general without being rude. Just when you are interacting with someone else, for example paying in a shop, it is considered impolite. If you need to use your left hand as your other hand is full, you would just acknowledge this as a courtesy.
You would refuse to do something so easy if you went to a country that considers it polite?
In some cultures it's impolite for women to have their hair or skin exposed and to be out in public unaccompanied by a male relative.

This same argument is used by the pro-circumcision crowd in the U.S.

Because becoming ambidextrous is such a terrible thing?

In some cultures it's impolite for women to have their hair or skin exposed and to be out in public unaccompanied by a male relative.

Which has nothing to do with the point in question.

Can't say I understand the mindset of people who would go to another country and would prefer to be disrespectful to people there than undergo a very minor inconvenience.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When someone approaches you for a greeting or farewell while you're sitting down, especially if that involves shaking hands or any other form of physical contact, it is generally viewed as impolite not to stand up. This is especially the case when the person approaching you is older than you are.
Unless the company is very familiar grounds even here we'd generally stand here. It's also not unusual here for a guest to wait to sit until invited by the host.
- When someone invites you to have food with them at their place, it is common etiquette not to start eating before they do or at least before they suggest that you do so.
That's often the case here as well.
- When you're at someone's place and you need to go to the toilet, you need to ask them first and not walk around their place without permission. This is especially the case when they have family at home.
Most people here would probably not appreciate someone just wondering around. You generally don't just go here without an established degree of familiarity.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Never “go empty handed”, even for holiday dinners at family’s house.
  • Extend one’s hand first to shake the other person’s, even if the other person is a woman. It used to be that a man never offered his hand first, but that’s passé.
  • Don’t dive right into food when eating at someone’s house. Pretty much the eating and house etiquette @Debater Slayer listed.
  • Always offer a visitor something to drink, even if it’s a glass of water. Be as hospitable as possible.
  • Always stand up to greet someone.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
He's not alone. I've butted heads with supervisors at work who insisted I use my right hand for situations I use my left. He sent another supervisor to talk about, and I heard him saying from a distance "right hand" to get the supervisor on the topic she was supposed to be getting at. My reply to him was "middle fingers."
It is insanely rude--beyond rude, even--to have an issue with how someone does something when it's petty and meaningless in the end. And in my case I demonstrated I was one of the best, so his demanding I switch hands was made all the more inappropriate.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Shaking hands,a good grip and eye contact,if it a limp handshake or they can’t hold eye contact they are deemed untrustworthy.

Always let the lady arrive first which is unusual under most circumstances but if your at Charing Cross but she’s at Waterloo it’s deemed as poor form.

Good manners while eating,nobody wants to see a cement mixer with food in it.

I was raised to be a gentleman,stand until the lady is seated,open doors for her,pull the chair out for her to sit,help put her coat on,fight for her honour and wear a crash helmet when she parks the car,things have changed now for most though.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Can't say I understand the mindset of people who would go to another country and would prefer to be disrespectful to people there than undergo a very minor inconvenience.

In some countries it's customary to defecate in the street. I wouldn't have any interest in visiting.

He's not alone. I've butted heads with supervisors at work who insisted I use my right hand for situations I use my left. He sent another supervisor to talk about, and I heard him saying from a distance "right hand" to get the supervisor on the topic she was supposed to be getting at. My reply to him was "middle fingers."
It is insanely rude--beyond rude, even--to have an issue with how someone does something when it's petty and meaningless in the end. And in my case I demonstrated I was one of the best, so his demanding I switch hands was made all the more inappropriate.

That's in America though so it's a power move rather than being an a normal part of etiquette.

In some countries it's customary to defecate in the street. I wouldn't have any interest in visiting.

What has that got to do with anything? You think people just walk about ****ing in the street in most non-Western countries?

So you wouldn't want to visit countries as different as Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Egypt, India etc. simply because they consider it more polite to pass things with the right hand rather than the left?

Each to their own I suppose...