• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What annoys you?

CDRaider

So this morning I have little to no patients with the students. Yeah, I just can't stand them and just want to send them all home and say come back when you are intelligent. Come back when you can SPELL THE UNIVERSITIES NAME!!!!! Seriously, I got letters from students that spell the name of the university wrong. And then people will call in won't know their daughter/sons information and of course the last name is Smith so there is 5000.

Yeah so that has prompted me to wonder.... what annoys you?

CDRaider

Well its Wright State University but people I SWEAR!

I've seen Write, right, wight, and the WORST was rite state. ARGH!

I just am so impatient with them on the phone today I dunno if I'm going to have my job by the end of the day.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I get annoyed when a guy makes whistling or other "calling" noises to me...when they make vulgar comments about my body parts (even though I dress decently)...when they openly flirt with me even if my boyfriend is with me or even if my parents are with me. GRRRR! Do some of them think that ladies like that or are they trying to be annoying on purpose? Hey I'm not male bashing, I'm just saying that this is what annoys me and I know all guys are not like that. Thank God my boyfriend restored my faith in guys.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CDRaider said:
So this morning I have little to no patients with the students. Yeah, I just can't stand them and just want to send them all home and say come back when you are intelligent. Come back when you can SPELL THE UNIVERSITIES NAME!!!!! Seriously, I got letters from students that spell the name of the university wrong. And then people will call in won't know their daughter/sons information and of course the last name is Smith so there is 5000.

I don't mean to be harsh and I understand that you're worked up about this, but criticisms of other people's spelling and grammar are always more effective if your own spelling and grammar are up to scratch. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a pedant about this sort of thing and you've committed several of the errors that really annoy me, to answer your question honestly. Sorry.

James

CDRaider

Oh I am more than aware that I do not have the best grammar and spelling, but the spelling of the universities name is kinda key to your admission into the university. The reason I don't pay attention to my spelling and stuff on here is because I'm engaged in friendly conversation and not professional. But the point was not the spelling, but the idea that it is the universities name.

Now I can understand spelling Colonel Glenn wrong. Thats always funny but that is understandable.

I have better examples but unless you know something about the university it doesn't make too much sense.

I think I'm just grumpy this morning! lol, so don't take any offense to me. I am acutally refraining from participating in some of the debate threads but I am kinda b***** this morning!

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CDRaider said:
Oh I am more than aware that I do not have the best grammar and spelling, but the spelling of the universities name is kinda key to your admission into the university. The reason I don't pay attention to my spelling and stuff on here is because I'm engaged in friendly conversation and not professional. But the point was not the spelling, but the idea that it is the universities name.

Now I can understand spelling Colonel Glenn wrong. Thats always funny but that is understandable.

I have better examples but unless you know something about the university it doesn't make too much sense.

I think I'm just grumpy this morning! lol, so don't take any offense to me. I am acutally refraining from participating in some of the debate threads but I am kinda b***** this morning!

Don't worry about it. We all get like that sometimes and it's good to vent. I was dubious about whether or not to post that, actually. I didn't want to offend you, but you did ask and, as Michel could attest because we've discussed this before, I really do get annoyed by things like confusing plurals and possessives. I don't usually take any notice of it here, of course, but when I see the same errors being made by people who should know better (like the literally hundreds of times I've seen it on the BBC) it really does get my goat.

Personally, I think it's displaced anger over a whole summer being forced to learn to spell and use grammar correctly by my mother (who is an English teacher). I think subconsciously I'm thinking 'I had to flipping well learn, so why can't they?' But maybe that's just over-analysing my pedantry.

James

RevOxley_501

James, it is evident that you havent read the first rule of forum ranting: There shall be no care as to how poorly you spell or grammarize during a forum rant

really, pay attention to the RULES

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
And she JUST got bludgeoned to death! :O

But I kinda sorta agree with James. You are writing the "possessive" for university using the rules for making it plural. IE, it the university's name (not universities name).

Correct spelling is not an indication of intelligence, but the mark of a focused writer. It always embarrasses me when someone else plays the "spelling trump card". There are SO many things which can affect (not effect) one's ability to spell. State of mind (such as your own), trying to do too much, a lack of focus and many, many other things can thwart even the best of spellers. Ad in the casual atmosphere that the internet spreads into ALL things, and we can look like an utter moron!

An over reaction to outside stimuli indicates inner stresses. Maybe some time of reflection, removing some of the stressors or even a hot cup of tea is in order? Be happy, you ARE on the best side of the grass and that's a great start.

CDRaider

Ha ha ha, oh its alright. I didn't take offense really. In all truthfulness I'm not upset at you. :) I know you didn't mean any harm by it.

The only reason I know that is because JMoum is a GRAMMAR NAZI!!! He is so ocd about his spelling and grammar that I don't capitalize my i most of the time and he goes crazy. The boy even types http://www. everytime... never fails. You can tell when he is made or upset or on caffine becaue his spelling is off. That is the only time he does that.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
CDRaider said:
The boy even types http://www.

That's not being a grammar Nazi, that's just pedantry pure and simple. There is no earthly reason why you need to add the http to a web address. I'm both a pedant and a software developer and the thought would never even cross my mind. It's just not in any way necessary.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
RevOxley_501 said:
my comment just got ignored

it was priceless?!?

I didn't ignore it. I just couldn't think what I could say apart from 'Grammarize isn't a word', but I thought that I'd already made enough criticisms for one day and didn't want you to turn on me.

James

CDRaider

NetDoc said:
And she JUST got bludgeoned to death! :O

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! *whines*

I really wanted to play!!!!!!!! Sighs... i really was so excited. Sighs, I guess thats what I get for winning the first one I played!

RevOxley_501

JamesThePersian said:
I didn't ignore it. I just couldn't think what I could say apart from 'Grammarize isn't a word', but I thought that I'd already made enough criticisms for one day and didn't want you to turn on me.

James

cross apply my original post

Kay

Towards the Sun
CDRaider said:

When Bush pronounces his favorite WMD - "nu-cu-lar." :149: I've never heard him say it correctly. Not once.

CDRaider

Neosnoia said:
When Bush pronounces his favorite WMD - "nu-cu-lar." :149: I've never heard him say it correctly. Not once.

Lol, Al Gore was talking about how he and his sister were brought up knowing "that men and women are equal, if not more so."

:spit: <-----Thats what i did when i heard him say that