• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What About 'Whataboutism'?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would suggest that "whataboutism" or "tu quoque" would only be legitimately criticized and rejected in a court of law, where defendant A is on trial for some sort of criminal offense. If the only issue at hand is defendant A's guilt or innocence, then whataboutism would not be a relevant or valid defense.
Of course "whataboutism" isn't a valid defense in name, but established court precedence is. If A's lawyer can present to the judge that C did the same thing, then C's actions and rulings made in that case do become relevant. Court, I would argue, is the best and strongest application of tu quoque as it helps create uniformity in the application of law and a court case is basically a philosophical debate. Outside of court using it is typically used as a way of basically just trying to change the subject.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Of course "whataboutism" isn't a valid defense in name, but established court precedence is. If A's lawyer can present to the judge that C did the same thing, then C's actions and rulings made in that case do become relevant. Court, I would argue, is the best and strongest application of tu quoque as it helps create uniformity in the application of law and a court case is basically a philosophical debate. Outside of court using it is typically used as a way of basically just trying to change the subject.

no...accusing someone of something you do yourself isn't changing the subject.
It is the double standards situation.

Like when you accuse me of misogyny because you feel superior to me , so you are entitled to do that.
But I cannot accuse you of misandry....because I cannot do what you feel entitled to do.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So which one is it?
That's not the point. You feel entitled to call me a misogynist for what I said... but it's just an arbitrary assumption of yours.

As arbitrary as my assumption. But you are not able to understand this concept because you cannot empathize with your interlocutor...but you feel superior to your interlocutor no matter what you say or they say.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
perfect. You are always right and I'm always wrong.
As you wish, your majesty.
You made an incorrect assumption about my sexual orientation the time you accused me of misandry, and did think that had a part to do with my "misandry." You have excused, downplayed, and dismissed rape (and welcomed it in the world of hypothetically speaking), you have claimed men and women are not capable of being coworkers because the women will distract the men (the same mentality that forces women to cover up with niqabs and burkas). You've said some other things (and I have pointed them out), but those are the ones I remember.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You made an incorrect assumption about my sexual orientation the time you accused me of misandry, and did think that had a part to do with my "misandry." You have excused, downplayed, and dismissed rape (and welcomed it in the world of hypothetically speaking), you have claimed men and women are not capable of being coworkers because the women will distract the men (the same mentality that forces women to cover up with niqabs and burkas). You've said some other things (and I have pointed them out), but those are the ones I remember.

I 've never downplayed rape and there's a private conversation between me and you that proves it.

Btw...with all due respect...SW...you keep going off topic....

you are not able to understand your words may hurt people. I had an autistic boyfriend for 8 harsh months...he would never admit his flaws...he used to accuse me of something he did himself.

He was exactly like you..he was not be able to look within, to do self-criticism and to empathize with the interlocutor.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
you are not able to understand your words may hurt people.
Any time I mention me spewing acid, or raining acid, or any sort of thing like that, it's because I'm very aware of that can go straight for vital organs if someone pushes me hard enough (such as the other day in a thread when I mentioned "jack hammer stabbing-and-electric drill twisting a verbal knife in god's chest" (it was more of a response to a thread than anything)).

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You asked why people think you're a misogynist, and kept on doing the things I pointed out to you.
btw I am not a misogynist.
And I love anyone here...despite misunderstandings and mutual accusations.
I always try to understand the other. Because the word intelligence comes from the Latin word intellego and means to understand