• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wet Land

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Rock of ages heat this kettle
sing again that stone aged metal
break with me one biscuit dry
let me, too, eternal sigh

to share the sinew-ed stew of strain
about one table share one pain
as waves surround its rocky shores
wet land where endeth all of wars

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. Perhaps I should try and figure out what it means now that I have written it. Somebody might ask, and it would be embarrassing not to know.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am assigned to do work in the kitchen today. If I have an affirmative from you I will post you my analysis of the first part. I have not done the second part yet. Please let me know if you do want it whether it should be here or private message.

Let everyone know that I cannot say I know what it means but so far I am enjoying my opinion of it, which I will be glad to share.

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
You're welcome to an analysis of any of my poems, because its a public forum. A literature professor years ago explained to me that the meaning of poetic words points out in all directions, so the words can mean different things. With prose you want the words to point in towards a specific meaning. A really good poem will say lots of things with few words, but good prose is very clear. The trick to poetry is carving meanings away that are unwanted, and the trick to prose is probably being original while saying the same thing. (Try writing a poem that says something meaningful without it being sexual in any way. Its not always easy!) My poems are high-school stuff, because I haven't read lots of poems. They're nothin' new and are Vogish. My own favorite poems are the same as everybody's: Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, and the one with that line that goes "But I have promises to keep And miles to go before I sleep." I like good lyrics in songs. I enjoyed "By By Miss American Pie," for instance, because I can go lots of directions with the meanings. It would be awesome to get a call from Bob Dylan saying he wants to buy a poem, but hey that's crazy talk.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rock of ages heat this kettle
sing again that stone aged metal
break with me one biscuit dry
let me, too, eternal sigh

to share the sinew-ed stew of strain
about one table share one pain
as waves surround its rocky shores
wet land where endeth all of wars

It sounds pretty with good alliteration.

Here you go. ( I really hope you meant it true that you do not know what it means so that I might not be way, way off) (But it's OK if I am)\\The Rock of Ages is YHWH
"this kettle" is you
The water in the kettle to be heated is the life and we do not want love to cool off like in Matthew 24:12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold
The metal is the kettle again, which is you. And stone age means man's search for God for a long, long time. "Sing" is very good. It means a good heart that does not complain when discipline comes your way.
Break with me a biscuit is communion with the Son. It is dry (no explanation necessary....OK it is necessary Oh brother!) Dry mean we live in very difficult times. The eternal sigh means YHWH always for righteousness first. When people do not listen God must sigh. We should not sigh against Christ's brothers but oh boy sometimes it is really hard not to. James 5:9 NWT says sigh. It is the only translation that says sigh. The others say grumble, complain, grudge, murmur, cry out. It is the same word used that 'Jesus' is said to have done at Mark 7:34.

I do not know if I have more for part two. We shall see.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh! I forgot the title. My first thought was not sexual (let it be noted that you said it first) Here:
Try writing a poem that says something meaningful without it being sexual in any way. Its not always easy!
but my second thought was.
My first thought was a real marsh "Wet Land". We have wet land in Maine that is protected. I shall say it means the flood because the rest is Biblical to me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The second part looks like a reflection of the first part but there you are alone (waves around a rocky shore), or wish to be. It is getting harder and harder to carry your cross but you will carry it until you die because you want never to leave the table of the Lord even when the portions are getting meager (sinew-ed stew of strain).

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Some other interpretations:

You could imagine it is about a steel guitar (the biscuit), with the concert hall as the kettle. The 'Sinewed stew of strain' is the strings of the guitar. A stage is the table, the wet land, and the waves around it are the sound. The Rock of ages is the modern form of music about freedom.

The kettle could be this forum, and the song could be the song of creation. The 'Stone aged metal' could be talking about Bible stories. Eternal sighing could be the testimony of the righteous martyrs, whose blood speaks though they die, and wanting to join them (not in a suicidal way).

England could be the Rock of ages surrounded by waves, the place where WWII ended, which hopefully was the last world war. Kettles are popular there as are dry scones. It is an island crowded with people, straining together in foggy soup, very old with a rich history.

It could be a poem about getting drunk. You've got your kettle, your biscuit, your sigh. There's the table with everyone sharing their pains, and the wet land surrounded by waves is everybody getting a buzz.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They might not work with "one pain" because no two people have the same trouble. And "eternal sigh" must have something to do with the other world. Nothing in this world is eternal.:p

Brickjectivity

System Override
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for your feedback. It really depends upon you and what you think how you view it. There could be other meanings that I cannot think of, because words are like overloaded operators (programming term). As you add meanings a phrase becomes poetic, and as you take meanings away a phrase becomes prose.