• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Went to my first UU service today

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, I finally did it. I went to that Unitarian Universalist church down the street today. Mostly out of curiousity, but also with a bit of hopefullness. The UU's seem to be a group of people who think about things that I also want to think about, whether it be personal development or global awareness.

Admittedly, I also miss the community that goes along with being a part of a church, something I haven't had since leaving Christianity.

It was a fun service-- about the healing power of humor. Not very deep, and a bit hippy-ish, but it certainly left me in a great mood for the rest of the day. Very happy that I went. I hope to be able to go back again at some time (I'm generally out of town on weekends.)

Anyway, just wanted you all to know that I thinkfeel that you guys are doing it right.

applewuud

Thanks for checking it out. Keep in mind that since UU services don't always follow a pattern, and since sometimes different people run the service, it can be very different from week to week.

Who was the worship leader yesterday? A minister, or a layperson?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Thanks for checking it out. Keep in mind that since UU services don't always follow a pattern, and since sometimes different people run the service, it can be very different from week to week.

Who was the worship leader yesterday? A minister, or a layperson?

JonathanCid said:
Services can also vary from congregation to congregation; some are more formal, some less so.
Yes, that is what they said too. The previous service, apparently, was a Methodist preacher with UU sympathies; his sermon was a bit more traditional. The one I attended was an older couple who play Yooper folk music, so their "sermon' (the word sounds too harsh to describe it) heavily incoorporated humourous music and jokes, since that was the topic and those were their skills.

I had been periodically stalking their website, and a while back they had done a lecture series on a humanitarian crises somewhere. I like the mix.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Well, I finally did it. I went to that Unitarian Universalist church down the street today. Mostly out of curiousity, but also with a bit of hopefullness. The UU's seem to be a group of people who think about things that I also want to think about, whether it be personal development or global awareness.

Admittedly, I also miss the community that goes along with being a part of a church, something I haven't had since leaving Christianity.

It was a fun service-- about the healing power of humor. Not very deep, and a bit hippy-ish, but it certainly left me in a great mood for the rest of the day. Very happy that I went. I hope to be able to go back again at some time (I'm generally out of town on weekends.)

Anyway, just wanted you all to know that I thinkfeel that you guys are doing it right.

Good for you! I'm hoping to attend my first UU service next month. Like you, I left Christianity and I desire to be part of some kind of community that shares my values.