• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wearing Ajrak

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Recently, I was looking at Ajrak shawls on Etsy and I found one that looks really nice. I am thinking about ordering it for myself, but before I decide to, I need some answers from those of you who know Indian/South Asian clothing.

Considering that the block print on Ajrak garments is inspired by Islamic architecture, would wearing Ajrak indicate that the wearer has a Muslim identity? I imagine that if any Sindhi Hindus, or any other Hindus for that matter, wear Ajrak, they do it to express their Sindhi identity or show an admiration for Sindhi culture. Do Sindhi Hindus wear Ajrak?

Lastly, what is the significance of wearing a shawl or dupatta on one shoulder?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Recently, I was looking at Ajrak shawls on Etsy and I found one that looks really nice. I am thinking about ordering it for myself, but before I decide to, I need some answers from those of you who know Indian/South Asian clothing.

Considering that the block print on Ajrak garments is inspired by Islamic architecture, would wearing Ajrak indicate that the wearer has a Muslim identity? I imagine that if any Sindhi Hindus, or any other Hindus for that matter, wear Ajrak, they do it to express their Sindhi identity or show an admiration for Sindhi culture. Do Sindhi Hindus wear Ajrak?

Lastly, what is the significance of wearing a shawl or dupatta on one shoulder?
There is nothing particularly Islamic in Ajrak shawls. They are beautiful designs. It will be the same in nearby Indian lands of Kutch, Saurashtra and Rajasthan. One cannot brand these as 'Sindhi'. Hindus will not have any hesitation to have them.

You see, it all began with a piece of cloth on the shoulder to wipe sweat in Indian heat (Gamcha or gamucha (also gamocha (ga=body, mocha=wipe). It was used as an upper-body garment (Adivasa, vastrantara, uttariya). It could be used a a head-covering in presence of elders, against sun, or while praying. It could also be rolled into a bun and kept on head when carrying heavy articles. It could be wrapped around the body in winter. One could even spread it on ground and lie down upon it. It was a multi-faceted garment. Later when people got rich it became a shawl on the shoulder, cotton, silk, wool or Pashmina (animal-hair fibre forming the downy undercoat of the Changthangi goat., with prints, and embroidery using mirrors, silver or gold thread - Zari, Kimkhwab.

indian-railways-railway-coolies-india-rail-porters-coolies.jpg

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
There is nothing particularly Islamic in Ajrak shawls. They are beautiful designs. It will be the same in nearby Indian lands of Kutch, Saurashtra and Rajasthan. One cannot brand these as 'Sindhi'. Hindus will not have any hesitation to have them.

Thank you for the clarification, Aup. This is good to know. :) Indeed, the designs are beautiful.

You see, it all began with a piece of cloth on the shoulder to wipe sweat in Indian heat (Gamcha or gamucha (also gamocha (ga=body, mocha=wipe). It was used as an upper-body garment (Adivasa or vastrantara). It could be used a a head-covering in presence of elders, against sun, or while praying. It could also be rolled into a bun and kept on head when carrying heavy articles. It could be wrapped around the body in winter. It was a multi-faceted garment. Later when people got rich it became a shawl on the shoulder, cotton, silk, wool or Pashmina, with prints, and embroidery using mirrors, silver or gold threa

It's amazing how so many things that I assume have some special significance or symbolism turn out to be practical actually.

Thank you for another informative and helpful reply.