• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are what we eat

krsnaraja

There happens to be a Wiki article about it, lol. It's a Filipino invention, and then carried into the Caribbean where it became popular. :D

Banana ketchup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

450px-Banana_ketchup.jpg

Wow! My favorite ketchup & when mixed with hot chili sauce & soy sauce. & a fried chicken dipped with this combination is so yummy to eat.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Cows & goats don`t have canine teeth so they eat grass or leaves. Their stomachs are geared for that. Animals with canine teeth eat meat. Their stomachs are geared for that. When Krishna said he accepts a leaf or flower maybe because he lost his canine teeth but Christ did not that`s why he came out with Matthew 15:11.

Again, just because we have canine teeth doesn´t mean we have to eat like dogs.

We were born with frontal lobs bigger than any other species and a capacity of compassion unseen to them too. So what about we use that and avoid feeding on suffering?

darkstar

Again, just because we have canine teeth doesn´t mean we have to eat like dogs.

We were born with frontal lobs bigger than any other species and a capacity of compassion unseen to them too. So what about we use that and avoid feeding on suffering?

While I see the merit in that argument there are flaws as well. There have been many studies about plants. They show that plants have fear responses and pain responses. It shows that there is something there, not just an inanimate object.

This line of thinking has also started a movement of people that call themselves fruitarians. They eat nothing but fruit in an attempt to not cause suffering to animals OR plants. A noble idea, but not the healthiest way to survive. Some people do great on this diet, but people with health problems, even undiscovered ones, will have a hard time.

So as I said, I see where you're coming from. But that doesn't mean that since I eat meat that I'm a heartless savage. I disagree with many of the policies (or lack of them) concerning the livestock and slaughterhouse rules and regulations.
Also hunting for me is a very spiritual thing. Prayers given to the fallen prey and thanks given to its sacrifice.

Also note that I find myself to be a part of nature. If I were killed and eaten by an animal, it would suck. But that animal needs to eat as much as I do. I wouldn't be happy obviously, but would not have any ill will toward the animal.

krsnaraja

While I see the merit in that argument there are flaws as well. There have been many studies about plants. They show that plants have fear responses and pain responses. It shows that there is something there, not just an inanimate object.

This line of thinking has also started a movement of people that call themselves fruitarians. They eat nothing but fruit in an attempt to not cause suffering to animals OR plants. A noble idea, but not the healthiest way to survive. Some people do great on this diet, but people with health problems, even undiscovered ones, will have a hard time.

So as I said, I see where you're coming from. But that doesn't mean that since I eat meat that I'm a heartless savage. I disagree with many of the policies (or lack of them) concerning the livestock and slaughterhouse rules and regulations.
Also hunting for me is a very spiritual thing. Prayers given to the fallen prey and thanks given to its sacrifice.

Also note that I find myself to be a part of nature. If I were killed and eaten by an animal, it would suck. But that animal needs to eat as much as I do. I wouldn't be happy obviously, but would not have any ill will toward the animal.

Lord Rama in the book Ramayana hunted animals. Did it mean he hunted deer, wild boar, etc just for fun? & did not eat their roast flesh & skin?. Tell this to Madhuri, Sage Tree, & Gaura Priya. They practice Hinduism & Buddhism.

krsnaraja

Huh? What do you mean by that?

darkstar

Huh? What do you mean by that?

I mean that ethically I see nothing wrong with the eating of meat. By that way of thinking though, if I were to become prey and unable to fight off said predator I would not be angry at the predator for doing what it naturally does to survive.

I think most people view themselves as being above or at least seperated from nature. I do not, and know many who also have the same views as I do.

I do however feel that people should know where their meat comes from, how the animals are treated, and that one should give thanks to the spirit of the animal for the sacrifice made.

krsnaraja

I mean that ethically I see nothing wrong with the eating of meat. By that way of thinking though, if I were to become prey and unable to fight off said predator I would not be angry at the predator for doing what it naturally does to survive.

I think most people view themselves as being above or at least seperated from nature. I do not, and know many who also have the same views as I do.

I do however feel that people should know where their meat comes from, how the animals are treated, and that one should give thanks to the spirit of the animal for the sacrifice made.

You can offer your food before you eat if it`s meat to Lord Siva. & he will accept it.

krsnaraja

I`m having for breakfast, scrambled egg, chicken hotdog, dried fish, & grilled pork reheated. With coffee. No fruits on the table. Of course, rice.