• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to transcend your ego

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow ego-maniacs!

I hope you will enjoy this little thread of mine.

I was actually looking at some Zen Buddhist sites when one of my searches tossed up this website - methods to transcend your human ego.

They don't mince words either!

For example -

The first duty of every soul is to release the hold ego-consciousness has upon it. All other spiritual practices are subservient to this one supreme obligation. I address ego-transcendence, therefore, as the first, and indeed the only, challenge on the spiritual path.

Here are a few techniques that will help you in your supremely important efforts to transcend ego-consciousness:

If your curiosity has been aroused at all, you can rad the techniques at this site -

16 Techniques for Ego-Transcendence — Ananda

Enjoy your browsing!

Wishing you all the very best.

Audie

Veteran Member

I was actually looking at some Zen Buddhist sites when one of my searches tossed up this website - methods to transcend your human ego.

For example -

The first duty of every soul is to release the hold ego-consciousness has upon it. All other spiritual practices are subservient to this one supreme obligation. I address ego-transcendence, therefore, as the first, and indeed the only, challenge on the spiritual path.

Here are a few techniques that will help you in your supremely important efforts to transcend ego-consciousness:

If your curiosity has been aroused at all, you can rad the techniques at this site -

Enjoy your browsing!

Why would anyone want to " transcend ego"?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Why would anyone want to " transcend ego"?

Well ... because the ego causes most of the human misery on this planet one way or the other.

But if people like to suffer than they should just keep on doing what they have been doing for thousands of years.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well ... because the ego causes most of the human misery on this planet one way or the other.

But if people like to suffer than they should just keep on doing what they have been doing for thousands of years.

Thats quite the assertion.
What do you mean by your non clinical
use of the word "ego" that its so troublesome?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

For example -

Enjoy your browsing!

It's basically a list of dos and don'ts.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thats quite the assertion.
What do you mean by your non clinical
use of the word "ego" that its so troublesome?

I am hardly the first to recognise all the suffering the human ego causes.

I really wish it were not true but human history is basically a history of ego-pain with very few exceptions.

I am sure most people would not agree that their ego is out of control and causing them to experience suffering. That's the problem. You cannot change anything until you become aware of what the true problem is.

But you did ask what I am referring to in a non clinical sense when I use the word ego.

It's a little like being asked to define love if someone were to ask you. You may know full-well what love is but a definition might be hard to come up with.

Basically your ego is the source of the painful emotions you may be experiencing - such as fear, jealousy, pride, frustration, depression, rage ... the list is a long one!

As with any significant transformation, the first key is becoming aware of why you are suffering. Then techniques like in that article & many others can help you out of your predicament.

The predicament is so common it is regarded as "normal".

I hope I am making some sense just sitting here typing away.

For a further perspective on the human ego try this page -

What Is The Ego? | The Answer May Surprise You | Pathway to Happiness

I hope I have been of some help in trying to answer your questions

All the best!

Audie

Veteran Member
I am hardly the first to recognise all the suffering the human ego causes.

I really wish it were not true but human history is basically a history of ego-pain with very few exceptions.

I am sure most people would not agree that their ego is out of control and causing them to experience suffering. That's the problem. You cannot change anything until you become aware of what the true problem is.

But you did ask what I am referring to in a non clinical sense when I use the word ego.

It's a little like being asked to define love if someone were to ask you. You may know full-well what love is but a definition might be hard to come up with.

Basically your ego is the source of the painful emotions you may be experiencing - such as fear, jealousy, pride, frustration, depression, rage ... the list is a long one!

As with any significant transformation, the first key is becoming aware of why you are suffering. Then techniques like in that article & many others can help you out of your predicament.

The predicament is so common it is regarded as "normal".

I hope I am making some sense just sitting here typing away.

For a further perspective on the human ego try this page -

What Is The Ego? | The Answer May Surprise You | Pathway to Happiness

I hope I have been of some help in trying to answer your questions

All the best!

Good answer, thanks

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Good answer, thanks

You are most welcome.

I really wish I were wrong about the human ego and the suffering it causes. There are countless pieces of advice out there - and some date back thousands of years before modern psychiatry.

I guess we are all slow learners!

Even I have my moments!

:)