• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Watership down" 70's violent cartoon

Would you show this to your young child?

• Total voters

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You want violence? Here (skip to minute 1:00 for the action):

WARNING:
The above clip is violent and graphic, and could be offensive to some viewers.
There's a difference here. Japanese animation(anime) isn't seen as a childrens' thing. It's much more broad regarding age range and such.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, but it is a cartoon (drawings come to life) and I as a kid was so into it :)

Yeah but kids watch and often like the movie Alien despite it being rated M (or R depending where you are from.) Nietzsche is right. Anime in Japan isn't confined to Western ideals. Ie either a children's medium or an overtly gross out adult medium. It encompasses teenagers, adults, children, family friendly and everything in between. Studio Ghibli is the most well known children's market and sometimes they make movies strictly for teenagers and older audiences. Not every anime is aimed or intended for children.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Not every cartoon is aimed or intended for children as well. Riddick animated movies, Dead Space animated movies, and even some WB Bros. cartoons like some of their latest movies are some examples; all Western made (check out Justice League: War and Flashpoint). There are some others I forgot their names too.

I remember when the movie Watership Down was released, it was rated as parental guidance so the question is? what age is your child or children and how well you know your child to be able to accompany him, her or them to watch a movie like this?

gnomon

[/QUOTE]

Watership Down, as a film, puts every recent Oscar nominated Best Picture film to shame in my opinion.

Never mind the extensive animation work on this film but there is the underlying story as well as the dialogue in this film as well that put's Oscar nominated crap like "Gravity" to utter shame.

The contexts of this film in terms of family and dealing with death are immense.

Yes, they may be too much for some children but only for pre-school children.

That so many in the West find this film to be too much for grade school children speaks more about the infantile nature of parenthood in the modern world rather than the capability of young humans to understand important concepts such as life and eath.

edit: I'm am completely satisfied that Watership Down is now considered a Criterion Classic. Of course, given some absolute nonsense that has made it into that category I feel the committee has redeemed itself by including this absolute animated gem into it's library.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'd be more concerned about my child seeing actual violence and gore than fictional violence and gore. Since frequenting sites like Ogrish and Best Gore since my mid teens and seeing real murder, torture, suicide, executions, warfare, graphic accidents, extreme animal cruelty, mangled, rotting and bloated corpses, etc., I must say that I find fictional violence to be rather tame and laughable, for the most part. The only fictional violence that I find somewhat disturbing now is in extreme exploitation movies like Men Behind the Sun, Jörg Buttgereit films and Autumn Underground, but that's because they're about as realistic as movies get (Autumn Underground is basically an extremely graphic simulated snuff film, for example).

Last edited: