• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Yahweh stretching the truth when he said that the punishment for the original sin was death?

Placid Atheist

If, as descendents of Adam and Eve, we too are held accountable for the original sin, we too were doomed to death, yes!, but!! If I believe that Jesus then came as the saviour Messiah and atoned for the original sin through the shedding of his blood, I will be saved! Yes!........So why do we still die?
Also
As an Atheist, Christians often tell me I will spend eternity being tortured in the fires of hell; but wouldn’t that insinuate that I too will live forever? Wouldn’t my punishment for not believing in Jesus’ atonement for the original sin be the ‘punishment’ for the original sin, death? When did the punishment change from death to eternal torture in hell?

Tristesse

The change happened in the new testament, you know that book that people claim is the "good book" I've never found anything particularly good about that book. The old testament never talked about a hell, but it sure did have some atrocious things to say in there. The bible is filled with so many inconsistencies it's better to not even think about it. I mean you have people in the bible living to be almost 1000 years old, I don't see how you could reach any other conclusion, but fairy tale. To me the bible seems to be nothing more than a collection of writings by many people trying to make sense of the world around them. And the more we progress and learn about the world in which we live, the less we actually have a need for a "god" to explain anything.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Spiritual death...everybody still dies physically. (Oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death?) that's a good question...

My bible insinuates that unsaved people eventually end up as little red maggots!

muggin*giggles

I don't think people look at it the way they're supposed to. If Jesus saved us from our sin, sin then should no longer exsist. We should return to the state of transcendence, the state adam and eve were in prior to the sin. Where there is no right and wrong, not good and evil, no opposites. Just humanity, and bliss in everything we do.

We can go back to this state of mind, we need only realize the truth of our own spirituality, in that giving into human nature is not a sin.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
As an Atheist, Christians often tell me I will spend eternity being tortured in the fires of hell; but wouldn’t that insinuate that I too will live forever? Wouldn’t my punishment for not believing in Jesus’ atonement for the original sin be the ‘punishment’ for the original sin, death? When did the punishment change from death to eternal torture in hell?

The threat of an eternity in hell is a much more effective tool for manipulating people.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
I don't think people look at it the way they're supposed to. If Jesus saved us from our sin, sin then should no longer exsist. We should return to the state of transcendence, the state adam and eve were in prior to the sin. Where there is no right and wrong, not good and evil, no opposites. Just humanity, and bliss in everything we do.

We can go back to this state of mind, we need only realize the truth of our own spirituality, in that giving into human nature is not a sin.

Spiritually yes, we no longer sin, but physically I'm still a sinner. Look in Romans where Paul talks about the "Old man & New man"

Giving into human nature is a sin - Rom. 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
They spiritually died the moment they ate the fruit... they physically began dieing when they were removed from the garden...

I will still physically die, because I do not have access to the garden, but I am no longer spiritually dead...

I tend to believe that we all end up in God's love... and that how we react to it determines our experience...