• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Mother Teresa a sadist?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

-Mother Teresa

any conflicting evidence?

caminante

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. Mother Teresa

i don't know if you understand what she meant. but i believe that she was trying to say that we should try to be more humble, that the poor have the chance to seek a spiritual life instead of a materialist one.
I would also agree that the world would be better if we could be "money poor", and spiritualy rich.

She advocated the suffering of poor putting the dying in houses with no medical treatment to suffer like Christ did. She advocated suffering to bring you closer to God instead of elivating suffering to promote God's mercy.

You see, Mother Teresa believes that poverty and suffering are "gifts" from God. And the sisters in her order, The Missionaries of Charity, are taught that suffering makes God very happy. Mother Teresa once recounted, with a bright smile, how she had told a terminally ill cancer patient, who was suffering from unbearable pain, that, "You are suffering like Christ on the cross. So Jesus must be kissing you." Now, get that. According to Mother Teresa, Jesus, who, remember, is a moral ideal in her religion, expresses his "love" through tormenting the sick and the dying, while his father - God - gets his kicks from watching their suffering. This is pure sadism. And, unfortunately for the poor, Mother Teresa was ruthlessly intent on making God a very happy deity.'

caminante

i want to know first, what is your reason to disacredite with such anxiety and hatefullness, people that, even if they were "sadist and racist", have change the world as no other.

A sadist is a person who enjoys suffering, who rejoices with the suffering of other people. Perhaps, if she told to the poor and sick people that their condition was going to be rewarded, that will give some hope to them that although they suffer a lot on this world, there is someone who is waiting for them.

I would like that you speak with your own words, i want you to tell me just what you think about this woman that sacrificed her entire life to the poor; how many people has the strenght to do what she did?

what is your need for creating debate on discrediting some one else's life?

im only looking for the truth. discrediting is only a side note. knowing the truth allows you to get a deeper picture. do you agree? im trying to expose the under belly of deified people.

sure she promised that there was a God, but she didnt teach of the mercy of that God that died so we shouldn't have to suffer if at all possible. A man that preached compassion. I think she was a radical that was wrongly construed in history and I don't know of anything the world over has benefited or changed because of Mother Teresa please tell me.

caminante

how is it relevant for you what mother teresa did on finding what is good and what is truth?

we should base our understanding of truth on what we live, on what we suffer, not on what other people did, or did not.

Booko

Deviled Hen
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
im only looking for the truth. discrediting is only a side note. knowing the truth allows you to get a deeper picture. do you agree? im trying to expose the under belly of deified people.

You may have deified these people. I have not.

And truth is something to be sought with all humility and sincerity.

You will not find it by first throwing feces on the subject you wish to understand.

All you will do is make the subject harder to approach for a good examination.

You may have deified these people. I have not.

And truth is something to be sought with all humility and sincerity.

You will not find it by first throwing feces on the subject you wish to understand.

All you will do is make the subject harder to approach for a good examination.

I have never deified her, the catholic church did

I have approached this with sincerity, without humility because I do not stand down to lies.

That statement is purley defensive. Throwing feces implies I am slandering I am not. I am stating facts.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I agree with Booko...

Come to us when you have brought running water to any city in India or have fed thousands and we will compare your apparent compassion by your words.

Check out http://www.ewtn.com/motherteresa/life.htm
Article said:
It was on the train to Darjeeling that she received her second call -- "the call within the call". Mother Teresa recalled later, "I was to leave the convent and work with the poor, living among them. It was an order. I knew where I belonged but I did not know how to get there."

Yeah. She was a real hun. Praying on the masses by feeding them. The nerve of some people: feeding the poor like that. Must be some sort of meglomaniac.

BTW, English was not her native language. Let's judge you on something you said in Serbian.

Booko

Deviled Hen
NetDoc said:
I agree with Booko...

Come to us when you have brought running water to any city in India or have fed thousands and we will compare your apparent compassion by your words.

Check out http://www.ewtn.com/motherteresa/life.htm

Yeah. She was a real hun. Praying on the masses by feeding them. The nerve of some people: feeding the poor like that. Must be some sort of meglomaniac.

BTW, English was not her native language. Let's judge you on something you said in Serbian.
[/size][/font]

Thanks, NetDoc.

You do seem to be reading my mind awfully well today. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
I have never deified her, the catholic church did

NetDoc already responded to the rest of it.

Just a small point, to save Victor the bother of correcting this.

The RCC made her a saint. That is *not* deifying her.

Well thank you for the enlightenment NetDoc. I am not above admitting im wrong. I just didn't see anything that anyone else posted or showed me that was convincing. Frankly no evidence was given.

I stand correct on the word deified I meant mass adored. Mass worshipped for her deeds.

Just so there is no confusion.

Worship:

• adoration or devotion comparable to religious homage, shown toward a person or principle : Krushchev threw the worship of Stalin overboard.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Here's a little more information for everyone, once again from Wikipedia.

Controversy and critics

Christopher Hitchens and Aroup Chatterjee

Christopher Hitchens is a British-born journalist now living in Washington, D.C.. He described Mother Teresa's organization as a cult which promoted suffering and did not help those in need. In Hitchens' interpretation, Mother Teresa's own words on poverty proved that "her intention was not to help people." He quoted Mother Teresa's words at a 1981 press conference in which she was asked: "Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."
Hitchens further alleged that Mother Teresa lied to donors about what their contributions were to be used for. Donors, he says, were told that the money went to aid and the construction of healthcare facilities in India and elsewhere. Evidence points to it instead being spent largely on missionary work and that Mother Teresa was actually the controller of some of the funds. No hospitals were ever built. In 1994, Hitchens published an article in The Nation entitled "The Ghoul of Calcutta".
Hitchens, with British journalist Tariq Ali, co-produced a television documentary for the UK's Channel 4 called Hell's Angel, which was based on Aroup Chatterjee's work. Although he has never disputed the documentary's conclusions, Chatterjee criticized what he called the "sensationalist" approach of the film. The next year Hitchens published The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice, which contained much of the same content, though with more references.
Dr. Aroup Chatterjee is the author of "Mother Teresa: The Final Verdict" (2003). Dr. Chatterjee maintains that the public image of Mother Teresa as a helper of the poor, the sick, and the dying was misleading and overstated; the number of people who are served by even the largest of the homes is not nearly as large as westerners are led to believe. [1]
Chatterjee alleged that many operations of the order engage in no absolutely charitable activity at all, but instead use their funds for missionary work. He stated, for example, that none of the eight facilities that the Missionaries of Charity run in Papua New Guinea have residents living there; their sole use is converting people to Catholicism. Some defenders of the order argue that missionary activity — already declared in the name of the order — was a central part of Mother Teresa's calling. [2] In an open letter to Mother Teresa [3] Chatterjee asked for clarification. In the letter, he quotes her as having given numbers of 57,000 helped at a single facility, 250,000 helped at another, thousands helped daily at another. He is most highly critical of the informality of the numbers she uses. [4] According to a Stern magazine report about Mother Teresa, the Protestant-aligned Assembly of God charity serves 18,000 meals daily in Calcutta, many more than all the Missionaries of Charity's homes combined.
Chatterjee has stated that although he was responsible for Christopher Hitchens becoming involved with this cause, he is critical of Hitchens for what Chatterjee refers to as Hitchens' "sensationalist" approach and regrets Hitchens' involvement because he undermines the cause of making the truth known. [5]
Chatterjee contends that families of the residents of its homes were not allowed to visit their loved ones and that, among India's charitable organizations, Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity is the only one which refuses to release a public financial account. Hitchens asserts, "I would say it was a certainty that millions of people died because of her work, and millions more were made poorer, stupider, more sick, more diseased, more fearful, and more ignorant".

Susan Shields

Susan Shields is a former member of Mother Teresa's order who is now critical of her, especially regarding the following of monastic tradition and vows of poverty and obedience to the Catholic church. Shields also questions whether being poor is the best way to help other poor, and if redemptive suffering is really conducive in helping them. Having been in Mother Teresa's order for ten years, she states that large transactions of cash occurred; most were deposited in the Vatican Bank. Shields claims she has no knowledge how this money was used, but believes Mother Teresa did a disservice to the poor and unsuspecting nuns in the order. [6]

Criticism for baptisms

In addition to these primary critics Mother Teresa has garnered criticism for her encouragement of sacramental baptisms being performed on the dying (a majority of which were Hindus and Muslims) into the Catholic faith. These were done without regard to the individuals' religion. In a speech at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego, California in January, 1992, she said, "Something very beautiful... not one has died without receiving the special ticket for St. Peter, as we call it. We call baptism 'a ticket for St. Peter.' We ask the person, do you want a blessing by which your sins will be forgiven and you receive God? They have never refused. So 29,000 have died in that one house [in Kalighat] from the time we began in 1952."

Criticism of medical care provided

In 1991, Dr. Robin Fox, then editor of the British medical journal The Lancet, visited the Home for Dying Destitute in Calcutta and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients; people who could otherwise survive their ordeals would be at a heightened risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.
Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong analgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. Fox also wrote that needles were rinsed with warm water, which left them inadequately sterilized, and the facility did not isolate patients with tuberculosis.
There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Continued.

Attitude toward political leaders

Mother Teresa made some public statements regarding political leaders that have produced controversy. After Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's suspension of civil liberties in 1975, Mother Teresa said: "People are happier. There are more jobs. There are no strikes." These approving comments were seen as a result of the friendship between Teresa and the Congress Party. These comments were criticized even in Catholic media. (Chatterjee, p. 276). In 1981 she made a trip to Haiti to accept an honor from Jean-Claude Duvalier, who was notorious as a repressive kleptocrat, and praised the Duvalier family as friends of Haiti's poor. In 1989, she travelled to Albania and laid a wreath at the grave of Enver Hoxha, the small nation's Cold War-era leader who had outlawed religion and sometimes brutally repressed religious liberty.
Mother Teresa, who viewed abortion as a form of genocide, met with former president Bill Clinton, who is pro-choice, and criticized him for not supporting a ban on abortion, but encouraged him to seek peaceful solutions to problems. [7]

The Catholic Church's official analysis of criticisms

In the process of examining Teresa's suitability for beatification and canonization, the Roman Curia pored over a great deal of documentation of published and unpublished criticisms against her life and work. Documents and interviews were scoured and debated. Vatican officials say Hitchens' allegations have been investigated by the agency charged with such matters, the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, and they found no obstacle to Mother Teresa's canonization.

She did many tremedous things, but she is a human being...

I don't think I would villify her for mistakes- she did far far far more than most people have combined...

Scuba Pete

You see...

Her Country was heaven: what happens here on earth politically is inconsequential to the spiritual happenings. It's really hard for those who are SOOOO political to understand someone who is apolitical. Just as hard as it is for an atheist to figure out a theist.

II Peter 3:11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. NIV

One of my favorite hymns;

This World is not my Home...
      • This world is not my home, I'm just passing through.
        My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.
        The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
        And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
        • Chorus
          O Lord you know I have no friend like you
          If Heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?
        They're all expecting me and that's one thing I know.
        My Savior pardoned me and now I onward go.
        I know He'll take me through, though I am weak and poor.
        • Chorus
        Just up in Glory Land we'll live eternally.
        The Saints on every hand are shouting victory.
        Their song of sweetest praise drifts back from Heaven's shore
        • Chorus

I don't understand though how that information is entirely political as it is spirtual. I'm kind of in the middle right now which is a place I don't like to be. I think I have all the information I can get. Unless theres more?

Scuba Pete

It's all about motivation.

Yours is political.

Hers is spiritual.

There is no way for you to understand why she says what she does until you immerse yourself into the spiritual side.

I guess I'll conclude with the fact that no matter how I feel about her understanding of the words of Jesus. It was up to her to do what she thought was "right". Just like its up to all of the human race to decide what is "right"