• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus the Messiah?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Well Muslims belief that Jesus(pbuh) is the Messiah however we do not belief he carried out that role in the past but will do so in the future.

That is an interesting concept that I have not heard before.
I can not see why it should not be true.

TheSonOfAdam

The messiah was going to be a descendant of David.
I believe he will come back and fight against the antichrist.
I don't believe in mahdi and that sort of stuff, jesus will come back insha Allah

F0uad

Wow I am not.

If I had not heard that in 78 years (it is certainly not taught as a possibility in the Anglican church) Then I suspect few here have heard of it.

Few Christians study Islamic teachings anyway.

Its also more reasonable if you think about it a Messiah according biblical scriptures does not die by the hands of men.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Its also more reasonable if you think about it a Messiah according biblical scriptures does not die by the hands of men.

actually yes he does.

The prophet Isaiah foretold that the Messiah would be killed by his own people. God would allow this death to occur because the role of the Messiah was to give his life in exchange for the lives of men.... by giving his lifeblood, he paid the cost of divine justice in behalf of all mankind to give us a way out of death.

Isaiah 53:1 Who has put faith in the thing heard by us? And as for the arm of Jehovah, to whom has it been revealed? 2 And he will come up like a twig before one, and like a root out of waterless land. No stately form does he have, nor any splendor; and when we shall see him, there is not the appearance so that we should desire him. 3 He was despised and was avoided by men, a man meant for pains and for having acquaintance with sickness. And there was as if the concealing of one’s face from us. He was despised, and we held him as of no account. 4 Truly our sicknesses were what he himself carried; and as for our pains, he bore them. But we ourselves accounted him as plagued, stricken by God and afflicted. 5 But he was being pierced for our transgression; he was being crushed for our errors. The chastisement meant for our peace was upon him, and because of his wounds there has been a healing for us. 6 Like sheep we have all of us wandered about; it was each one to his own way that we have turned; and Jehovah himself has caused the error of us all to meet up with that one. 7 He was hard pressed, and he was letting himself be afflicted; yet he would not open his mouth. He was being brought just like a sheep to the slaughtering; and like a ewe that before her shearers has become mute, he also would not open his mouth. 8 Because of restraint and of judgment he was taken away; and who will concern himself even with [the details of] his generation? For he was severed from the land of the living ones. Because of the transgression of my people he had the stroke. 9 And he will make his burial place even with the wicked ones, and with the rich class in his death, despite the fact that he had done no violence and there was no deception in his mouth. 10 But Jehovah himself took delight in crushing him; he made him sick. If you will set his soul as a guilt offering, he will see his offspring, he will prolong [his] days, and in his hand what is the delight of Jehovah will succeed. 11 Because of the trouble of his soul he will see, he will be satisfied. By means of his knowledge the righteous one, my servant, will bring a righteous standing to many people; and their errors he himself will bear. 12 For that reason I shall deal him a portion among the many, and it will be with the mighty ones that he will apportion the spoil, due to the fact that he poured out his soul to the very death, and it was with the transgressors that he was counted in; and he himself carried the very sin of many people, and for the transgressors he proceeded to interpose.

Flankerl

But then again this chapter(and not the only one) is about the return from the Babylonian Exile to Israel and of course Cyrus.

Oh wait you are reading Jesus into it.

Nevermind.

InChrist

Free4ever
The circumstances of Jesus' life fulfilled prophecies given hundreds of years before which no one could attempt to control or deliberately fulfill. Just a few are below:

Messiah was to be born at Bethlehem: Micah 5:1
Messiah would be from the tribe of Judah: Genesis 49:10
Messiah would present himself by riding on a donkey: Zechariah 9:9
Messiah would be tortured to death: Psalm 22
Messiah would arrive before the destruction of the Second Temple: Daniel 9:24-27
Messiah's life would match a particular description, including suffering, silence at his arrest and trial, death and burial in a rich man's tomb, and resurrection: Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Agnostic75

InChrist said:
The circumstances of Jesus' life fulfilled prophecies given hundreds of years before which no one could attempt to control or deliberately fulfill. Just a few are below:

Messiah was to be born at Bethlehem: Micah 5:1
Messiah would be from the tribe of Judah: Genesis 49:10
Messiah would present himself by riding on a donkey: Zechariah 9:9
Messiah would be tortured to death: Psalm 22
Messiah would arrive before the destruction of the Second Temple: Daniel 9:24-27
Messiah's life would match a particular description, including suffering, silence at his arrest and trial, death and burial in a rich man's tomb, and resurrection: Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Regarding the claim that the Messiah was to be born at Bethlehem, what proof can you provide that Jesus was born in Bethlehem? A mere claim in the New Testament that Jesus was born in Bethlehem will not do.

Please be advised that there are not any existing first or second century New Testament manuscripts that say that Jesus was born in Bethlehem. All that we have are copies of copies of manuscripts that were written centuries after the supposed facts. In fact, there are very few first century New Testament manuscripts about anything.

It would obviously be easy to fulfill the prophecy about the donkey by saying that it happened even if it didn't.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The circumstances of Jesus' life fulfilled prophecies given hundreds of years before which no one could attempt to control or deliberately fulfill.

The other possibility, of course, is that the Jesus story was redacted to conform to, for example, the 22nd Psalm.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Present your arguments in a Scriptural format, in this thread, for or against

According to Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh he is not; according to Christian interpretation of the Old Testament he is. Never the twain shall meet.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
What "side"? This thread isn't about refuting Judaism, stop insulting me.

Not trying to, sorry. But you placed this thread in the debate section so I assumed you were looking for a debate? Who would you be debating if not Jews? Or do you not believe that Jesus is the Messiah according to Scripture? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not trying to, sorry. But you placed this thread in the debate section so I assumed you were looking for a debate? Who would you be debating if not Jews? Or do you not believe that Jesus is the Messiah according to Scripture? Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

I don't get your statement, anyone can debate this topic.

InChrist

Free4ever
According to Jewish interpretation of the Tanakh he is not; according to Christian interpretation of the Old Testament he is. Never the twain shall meet.

That's not true at all as the lives of many Jewish people who have trusted Christ as their Messiah attest that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments meet perfectly.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
That's not true at all as the lives of many Jewish people who have trusted Christ as their Messiah attest that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments meet perfectly.

I'm talking about the pov of the Jewish religion. Not what individual Jews who have become Christians might say.