• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was he one of them

Yukon

I ask you for comment. Was this man a Nazi? Should he be the considered by Roman catholics to be infallible and God's messenger on earth. Please read on and comment with an open mind:

Joseph Ratzinger joined the Hitler Youth in 1941 when, according to him and his supporters, it became compulsory for all German boys. Millions of Germans were in a position similar to that of Joseph Ratzinger and his family, so why spend so much time focusing on him? Because he is no longer merely Joseph Ratzinger, or even a Catholic Cardinal — he is now Pope Benedict XVI. Un like None of the other Germans who joined the Hitler Youth, were part of the military in Nazi Germany, lived near a concentration camp, and watched Jews being rounded up for death camps has ever become pope.

Joseph Ratzinger was a member of an anti-aircraft unit protecting a BMW factory that used slave labor from the Dachau concentration camp to make aircraft engines, but he was drafted into the military and didn’t have any choice in the matter. In fact, Ratzinger also says that he never fired a shot and never participated in any combat. Later he was transferred to a unit in Hungary where he set up tank traps and watched as Jews were rounded up for transport to death camps.

Yukon

Abuser,
You attempt at sarcastic comment leads me to believe you are incapable of rational debate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I ask you for comment. Was this man a Nazi? Should he be the considered by Roman catholics to be infallible and God's messenger on earth. Please read on and comment with an open mind:

Joseph Ratzinger joined the Hitler Youth in 1941 when, according to him and his supporters, it became compulsory for all German boys.
Not just according to "him and his supporters"; according to history.

In fact, Ratzinger didn't want to join the Hitler Youth and rarely (never?) went to meetings. Since they allowed exemptions from Hitler Youth attendance for certain religious functions, he made an arrangement with a local priest who would sign the forms excusing him. They did this despite a fair risk to both of them if they were found out.

Also, I think it's worth noting that Ratzinger's cousin, who had Down Syndrome, was killed as part of the Nazi's eugenics campaign.

Joseph Ratzinger was a member of an anti-aircraft unit protecting a BMW factory that used slave labor from the Dachau concentration camp to make aircraft engines, but he was drafted into the military and didn’t have any choice in the matter. In fact, Ratzinger also says that he never fired a shot and never participated in any combat. Later he was transferred to a unit in Hungary where he set up tank traps and watched as Jews were rounded up for transport to death camps.
What's your source for this?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
BTW - the short, straightforward answer to the question "was Joseph Ratzinger a Nazi?" is no. He was never a member of the Nazi party.

Yukon

How do you know he was never a member of the party....becuase he says so? I doubt there were many people at the end of WWII who would admit to being Party members or even admit to supporting the German government of the day which was legally elected by the German and was led by Adolph Hitler.

No. In May of 1945 there were very, very few Nazis - everyone hated Hitler.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Abuser,
You attempt at sarcastic comment leads me to believe you are incapable of rational debate.
I'm curious here; your standards for 'capable of rational debate' seem to be whether or not someone agrees with you, based on some other threads.

Could you elaborate on those standards, please?

Jontehs

Premium Member
How do you know he was never a member of the party....becuase he says so? I doubt there were many people at the end of WWII who would admit to being Party members or even admit to supporting the German government of the day which was legally elected by the German and was led by Adolph Hitler.

No. In May of 1945 there were very, very few Nazis - everyone hated Hitler.
And how do you know what he was a member then ?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As he was in the hitler Youth movement he would have been rather young to be a party member. but I suppose it could be possible.
As all young people were in the youth movement It can hardly be held againt them, and if you wanted to get on, you had to join the party.

Flankerl

Awesome logic OP.

So he gets 14 and has to join the HJ therefore he is a fan of nazism?
Also do you realise that he never voted for the NSDAP? Because you know... he was a bit young.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Awesome logic OP.

So he gets 14 and has to join the HJ therefore he is a fan of nazism?
Also do you realise that he never voted for the NSDAP? Because you know... he was a bit young.
I think that is the key, he was too young.

The problem with the idea that the OP is purporting is that it is a conspiracy theory. It is nearly impossible to prove incorrect to those who actually want to accept the idea. The reason being that the evidence does not really matter. What matters is the idea that they want to keep.

Of course Ratzinger wasn't a Nazi. And really, there is no reason to even bring up such an idea. All one has to do is look at his age, and the one should be able to logically assume that he was not.

If one wants to have a problem with Ratzinger, there are various reasons to, such as he is quite conservative and authoritarian. Those are ideas that can be supported. Him being Nazi? Well, it is almost as supportable as George Bush being the leader of the Black Panthers.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Joseph Ratzinger joined the Hitler Youth in 1941 when, according to him and his supporters, it became compulsory for all German boys. Millions of Germans were in a position similar to that of Joseph Ratzinger and his family, so why spend so much time focusing on him? Because he is no longer merely Joseph Ratzinger, or even a Catholic Cardinal — he is now Pope Benedict XVI. Un like None of the other Germans who joined the Hitler Youth, were part of the military in Nazi Germany, lived near a concentration camp, and watched Jews being rounded up for death camps has ever become pope.

Whoever said one had to be perfect in order to be called by God? Eve was a temptress, Rahab was a prostitute, Jacob was a thief, David was an adulterer. God has always called the worst sorts of people. It lifts up the concept of grace over condemnation.