• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Albert Einstein an atheist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that you did not understand his second letter. He merely said that he does not "share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. 4 I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

Perhaps you should learn what an atheist is before claiming that he is not an atheist. Here is a hint, most agnostics are atheists.

Let's look at this from another angle. Just because a person claims to be a theist that does not mean that he is a Christian, do you understand that?

Yes, i do understand that.

Einstein IS an atheist toward the judeo/christian/personal God. Einstein said in that letter that according to the jesuit priest, he is an atheist. Thats because he rejects that kind of God.

But does this make Einstein a full fledged atheist? As in someone who rejects All Gods? No, it dont because einstein has made it clear he does believe in some form of a God. "My God created the laws" and "Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe" as well as the others, i dont feel like gathering and pasting them again, it takes time when i already did it. Plus im doing this on my phone, not the most fun way of typing.

Also theres 2 kinds of agnosticism.

Ones that say they DONT KNOW IF GOD EVEN EXISTS and

Ones that say they dont know this god whom they DO BELIEVE EXISTS. This apears to be the kind einstein was.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Einstein IS an atheist toward the judeo/christian/personal God. Einstein said in that letter that according to the jesuit priest, he is an atheist. Thats because he rejects that kind of God.

But does this make Einstein a full fledged atheist? As in someone who rejects All Gods? No, it dont because einstein has made it clear he does believe in some form of a God. "My God created the laws" and "Everyone who is seriously interested in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe" as well as the others, i dont feel like gathering and pasting them again, it takes time when i already did it. Plus im doing this on my phone, not the most fun way of typing.

Ones that say they dont know this god whom they DO BELIEVE EXISTS. This apears to be the kind einstein was.
You don't seem to understand what an atheist is. Anyone that lacks a belief in god or gods is a "full blown atheist". And there is no valid evidence that supports your last claim. Poetic language does not indicate a belief.

Prometheus85

Wait a minute

I thought u said Albert was a deist?

Now your saying he’s an atheist and agnostic to?
So according to your logic, Albert Einstein is an Atheist, Agnostic and deist.

Quick question. Are purple and blue the same color?

Prometheus85

Atheism, is the absence of belief in the existence of GODS, that includes the Abrahamic God, Zeus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and every other deity from A to Z (and 0-9, !, ", #, $ or any other character, obviously).

It’s seems the way your defining atheism is Tied up with some of the more awkward aspects of defining the term "atheist" is the question of what god, or type of god, is being denied.

Albert Einstein is denying the interventionist God, which most theists hold to exist. When he said “my god created laws” he wasn’t talking about an interventionist god, he was taking about god in a panentheist sense.

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

Albert Einstein

Wait a minute

I thought u said Albert was a deist?

Now your saying he’s an atheist and agnostic to?
So according to your logic, Albert Einstein is an Atheist, Agnostic and deist.

Quick question. Are purple and blue the same color?

If you cared to read in context everything i said you wouldent have misrepresented what im saying.

Atheism, is the absence of belief in the existence of GODS, that includes the Abrahamic God, Zeus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and every other deity from A to Z (and 0-9, !, ", #, $ or any other character, obviously).

It’s seems the way your defining atheism is Tied up with some of the more awkward aspects of defining the term "atheist" is the question of what god, or type of god, is being denied.

Albert Einstein is denying the interventionist God, which most theists hold to exist. When he said “my god created laws” he wasn’t talking about an interventionist god, he was taking about god in a panentheist sense.

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

Albert Einstein

I know for the millionth time einstein was not talking about the interventionist God. Why do you flat out ignor me?

A deist god is a non interventionist God.

One can deny the biblical God (aka, atheism toward the biblical god) yet not deny a deist God(aka. Not be a pure atheist).

You don't seem to understand what an atheist is. Anyone that lacks a belief in god or gods is a "full blown atheist". And there is no valid evidence that supports your last claim. Poetic language does not indicate a belief.

Look, this is not complicated.

Einstein did not believe in the biblical personal god. He DID believe in a deist kind of God.

Prometheus85

If you cared to read in context everything i said you wouldent have misrepresented what im saying.

You already said Einstein is a deist then
You said he’s an atheist (aka not believing in a Christian god)
Then say he’s an agnostic ( aka Ones that say they dont know this god whom they DO BELIEVE EXISTS. This apears to be the kind einstein was.)
According to your logic Einsteins is an, atheist, deist has and agnostic. What am misrepresenting?

Prometheus85

Look, this is not complicated.

Einstein did not believe in the biblical personal god. He DID believe in a deist kind of God.

Now you’re back to saying he believes in a deist god.

What happen to him being an atheist (aka not believing in a judeo Christian god)
And a agnostic (aka Ones that say they dont know this god whom they DO BELIEVE EXISTS. This apears to be the kind einstein was.

You already said Einstein is a deist then
You said he’s an atheist (aka not believing in a Christian god)
Then say he’s an agnostic ( aka Ones that say they dont know this god whom they DO BELIEVE EXISTS. This apears to be the kind einstein was.)
According to your logic Einsteins is an, atheist, deist has and agnostic. What am misrepresenting?

Einstein is a atheist (aka lacks belief) toward the biblical God. Hes an agnostic because he claims he dont KNOW the God he believes in. Hes a deist because he believes a intelligence or spirit or God created the laws.

Now if your representing me to be contradictory, then your misrepresenting me.

Prometheus85

9880BFEA-0E6E-40EA-859E-4D8E155B77B1.jpeg
Einstein is a atheist (aka lacks belief) toward the biblical God. Hes an agnostic because he claims he dont KNOW the God he believes in. Hes a deist because he believes a intelligence or spirit or God created the laws.

So according to your logic Albert Einstein is an atheist, agnostic and deist....

Prometheus85

Be carefu
Be careful how your representing what im saying. Im not contradicting myself. I explained what i meant. If you have an actual counter argument then provide it, but DO NOT create a straw man and knock it down. Got no patience for that.

I’m sorry but these are your words

“Einstein is a atheist (aka lacks belief) toward the biblical God. Hes an agnostic because he claims he dont KNOW the God he believes in. Hes a deist because he believes a intelligence or spirit or God created the laws”

According to your logic Albert Einstein is an atheist, agnostic and deist.

Prometheus85

Be careful how your representing what im saying. Im not contradicting myself. I explained what i meant. If you have an actual counter argument then provide it, but DO NOT create a straw man and knock it down. Got no patience for that.

Listen my friend, it’s not my fault your logic is so bad and faulty.

I’m sorry but these are your words

“Einstein is a atheist (aka lacks belief) toward the biblical God. Hes an agnostic because he claims he dont KNOW the God he believes in. Hes a deist because he believes a intelligence or spirit or God created the laws”

According to your logic Albert Einstein is an atheist, agnostic and deist.

Yes, those are my words, notice my words come with explanations to what i meant when i said he was all three?

Status
Not open for further replies.