• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warp Drive =\= FTL

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
New Warp Drive Research Dashes Faster-Than-Light Travel Dreams—but Reveals Stranger Possibilities

"If Bobrick and Martire are right, then a warp drive is just like any other object in motion. It would be subject to the universal speed limit enforced by general relativity after all, and it would need some kind of conventional propulsion system to make it accelerate.

The news gets worse. Many kinds of warp drive can only modify the spacetime inside in a certain way: by slowing down the clock of the passenger in exactly the way that makes a trip into deep space a problem.

Bobrick and Martire do show that some warp drives could travel faster than light, but only if they are created already traveling at that speed—which is no help for any ordinary human hoping for a bit of interstellar tourism."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I wouldn't claim it's a hard no. It's theoretically been worked out, albeit there are some issues with current models (especially in regards to a lack of the energy necessary to do this).
And this article keeps bringing up the now-falsified part of General Relativity that going faster than light isn't possible, but it has been observed and documented.
This Is How Physicists Trick Particles Into Going Faster Than Light
Particles Found to Travel Faster Than Speed of Light

Yes, but getting something with ample mass beyond that threshold, I think is what they are implying is impossible. But I could be wrong.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And this article keeps bringing up the now-falsified part of General Relativity that going faster than light isn't possible, but it has been observed and documented.
This Is How Physicists Trick Particles Into Going Faster Than Light
Particles Found to Travel Faster Than Speed of Light
Nope.
The Gran Sasso experiment had a (well known, it was all over the news in the day) measurement error and the first article doesn't describe particles faster than c. (And that is what we mean by "FTL".)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope.
The Gran Sasso experiment had a (well known, it was all over the news in the day) measurement error and the first article doesn't describe particles faster than c. (And that is what we mean by "FTL".)
Are really trying to explain what FTL means to me?
And as you didn't seem to read the articles, the second mentions two studies. Of course it also mentions some issues, but at least try to be more accurate in representing stuff when attempting a rebuttal, as well as refraining from explaining something to someone who obviously knows what it is.
At least one other experiment has seen a similar effect before...

Heyo

Veteran Member
Are really trying to explain what FTL means to me?
It seemed necessary as you posted an article that mixed up the concept of FTL with the speed of light in a medium.
Do we agree that that article is not about FTL?
And as you didn't seem to read the articles,
Yep. As soon as I saw Gran Sasso, I knew someone was not up to date with current experiments.
the second mentions two studies. Of course it also mentions some issues, but at least try to be more accurate in representing stuff when attempting a rebuttal,
Why should I? I just needed to be more accurate in my representation than the post I was refuting,
There is no current, experimental evidence of anything massive travelling faster than light through space. Do we agree?
as well as refraining from explaining something to someone who obviously knows what it is.
It wasn't so obvious to me. And besides from that, I was also explaining it to everyone who might have been mislead by your post into thinking that we have evidence that FTL might be possible.
We don't even have a theoretical possibility within known physics. Agree to that also?