• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War, when is it nessecary?

Linus

Fluffy said:
So you are saying the Polish just sat on their hands as they were decimated on both sides? Agreed the war escalated when the allies joined in but it was a defensive action. War was already happening. And Hitler was challenged LONG before Britain or France became involved.
Good point. Perhaps we should say that the Allies' involvement in the war was necessary. It needed to happen to stop Hitler. But you are right. It was NOt necessary for Hitler to do what he did.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
So you are saying the Polish just sat on their hands as they were decimated on both sides? Agreed the war escalated when the allies joined in but it was a defensive action. War was already happening. And Hitler was challenged LONG before Britain or France became involved.
Ahem!! don't forget poor old Belgium ! There were far more countries involved;

Participants of World War II Participants in World War II involves all nations who either participated directly or were affected by any of the theatres or events of World War II. Alliances World War II was primarily fought between two large alliances. ...
Axis Powers (signers of the Tripartite Treaty) The Axis Powers is a term for the loose alliance of participants in World War II led by Germany, Italy, and Japan. ... The Tripartite Pact, also called the Three-Power Pact, was signed in Berlin on September 27, 1940 by representatives of Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Japan. ...
Co-signatories of the Tripartite Treaty
Countries that were annexed by, or at war with, Axis Powers before World War II Austria (annexed by Germany, "Anschluss", March 13th, 1938)
Allied Powers (United Nations) Forces

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Pt 2.
Countries that were attacked, occupied, or switched sides during the war
(Most countries below had declared their neutrality before being assaulted. Albania (occupied by Italy April 7th 1939, by Germany September 26th 1943)

Fluffy

A fool
Ah yes sorry Michel I didn't wish to imply that Poland was the only country affected before anyone leapt to their defence. Just that I felt that the war (or the starting of perhaps I should say) was not necessary and our defence of these countries should not be judged as a war in their own right because the war was already there.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I agree, but don't forget that Britain "requested" Hitler to remove his troops from Poland. When he did not do so, Britain declared War on the Germans. There's no getting away from the facts.:)

Fluffy

A fool
I agree, but don't forget that Britain "requested" Hitler to remove his troops from Poland. When he did not do so, Britain declared War on the Germans. There's no getting away from the facts.:)
This is completely true but I would still define such an act as one of defence, just that of another country. The fact that Britain was the one who declared war does not mean that they created the war but merely joined in.

I think I will change my view ever so slightly at this point and instead take the position that STARTING a war is never necessary since I feel this wording is less open to confusion.

Thanks michel, by the way, for all that information, is WWII a subject which interests you?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
"Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, war has never solved anything." - Anonymous

I hate the idea of war. It does serve its purposes though and is necessary as long as there are those who wish to prey on the innocent, or those who hate us so much that they would threaten us and our way of life. Whether you like it or not, there are those in the world who hate you, and wish to kill you, you husband or wife, children, grandchildren, etc., regardless of your politics, simply because you are different from them socially, religiously and politically. As long as these people exist in the world, there will always be a need for the good to war against the evil. I truly wish there was a different way, but right now the only way that I can see to end viciousness like this, is to meet it with violence and irradicate those that threaten freedom. This is when War is necessary.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
This is completely true but I would still define such an act as one of defence, just that of another country. The fact that Britain was the one who declared war does not mean that they created the war but merely joined in.

I think I will change my view ever so slightly at this point and instead take the position that STARTING a war is never necessary since I feel this wording is less open to confusion.

Thanks michel, by the way, for all that information, is WWII a subject which interests you?
Now that I agree with fully; I cannot explain my feelings about the war. It had a profound effect on me, vicariously, through my parent's experiences. My Father was captured twice, Walked from Germany to Spain being a Belgian army officer, by escaping from Belgium to help fight with the allies, had he been captured by the Germans (Which he actually was - twice) AND been recognized as being Belgian, he would have been shot instatly, as a traitor (Germany had occupied Belgium, and therefore the belgian army became part of the German army, by default.

When he decided he could no longer work for the Germans, because he was being asked, as a Civil engineer to booby-trap bridges with explosives for the day the allied troups invaded, he asked his C.O for permission to escape - and was encouraged to do so. When he asked the man how should he get in touch with the resistance, his CO looked at him with total astonishment "But surely you know that your mother is the local resistance leader !". Can you possibly imagine living that type of life ?

Mum was involved in the bombings both in London and Coventry- her family lost everything during the war.

As I say, I have, somehow, a connection to the war; I only hope that I could have been half as brave as both my parents were, had I been through it.:eek:

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
War is ALWAYS NECCESSARY for whatever the reasons maybe. While it is true that some wars are waged with no other purpose than the ego of the leaders (dictatorship) or the government, most wars are very much a neccessity. Sometimes, war is the only thing that can end pain and suffering of others. For example, the terrorists from the Middle East with their fervent belief that Allah in fact wants them to do the audacious acts that they commit and their belief that all who are against them are infidels and their practice of attacking civilian targets must be stopped. To do this, war is often neccessary to get to the bottom of things.

War in order to help police or intervene in a civil affair is another neccessity. Having come from a country which had a dictatorship, I understand the acts of mass murder that often occurs while the whole world is oblivious to the situation until it's too late to do anything. This and seeing Hotel Rhonda convinced me that we should, as a world, do more to police the dictators and other governments all around the world to make sure the innocent do not suffer.

aunggu2002 said:
War is ALWAYS NECCESSARY for whatever the reasons maybe. While it is true that some wars are waged with no other purpose than the ego of the leaders (dictatorship) or the government, most wars are very much a neccessity.
So you're saying even when wars are fought to satisfy the ego of a goverment it is still necessary. If that is incorrect, maybe you should change the first sentence of your post.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I think I'll leave it alone. For whichever war we think is being fought to satisfy the ego of the leaders are strictly in our opinions. There are things that one can only speculate on (mainly because we as civilians sometimes do not fully grasp the significance and all the data pertaining to the situation at hand) and may only seem as if the war is being fought for unneccessary reasons.