• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War, when is it nessecary?

Ori

Angel slayer
Or is it even nessecary?
Where do you draw the line?
Fighting only begets revenge, which is why the world is in the state it is in now.

Fluffy

A fool
War is never necessary. However, I will not begrudge a nation which decides to defend itself against another nation which does not understand this concept.

I especially dislike war for policing's sake although, again, coming to another nation's defence, is a different matter.

So I guess I draw my line at the zero tolerance mark.

Revenge, in itself, is totally unnecessary and is nearly as bad as the fighting in the first place, in my opinion. Its just the way you said it was as if the fighting was an adequate excuse for such vengence.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
orichalcum said:
Or is it even nessecary?
Where do you draw the line?
Fighting only begets revenge, which is why the world is in the state it is in now.
We had a similar thread - I think I remember it being 'Is killing ever justified, and if so, why' To which, if I remember rightly, the concensus was that no killing is justifiable; sadly, on occasions, it is a necessary evil.

One example - Hitler's invasion of Poland, and the start of the persecution of Jews, and others.:(

Linus

I believe war is sometimes necessary, but it is highly unfortunate and extremely sad when it comes to such an extreme.

Ormiston

I think war is necessary when all other options have been exhausted. I don't pretend to know the parameters of such things, but I do know that war will always exist among humans. How? Can you eliminate fear? Can you eliminate man's desire for power? Perhaps the only exception would be a world unified under one army in which no other armies exist that would dare make themselves public. Doesn't seem possible due to our racial diversity though.

Pah

Uber all member
Linus said:
I can give one: World War II
Only in the perpestive of the eyes of the Allies. It was totally not required for the Axis in territorial expansion and they started it.

Linus

pah said:
Only in the perpestive of the eyes of the Allies. It was totally not required for the Axis in territorial expansion and they started it.
You are correct.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Linus said:
I can give one: World War II
I'd say you are 100% correct. World War II resulted in millions of deaths, but it was necessary to combat the pure evil represented by Adolf Hitler. I shudder to think what would have happened to the world if America had not entered WWII. War is hell, war is never pretty, but in that case it was definitely necessary.

War is never necessary. You say WWII was necessary, but I ask you this: Was it necessary for Hitler to start a war? The war lies in Nazi Germany's action, not in the act of self-defense.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
NothingIsNot said:
...Was it necessary for Hitler to start a war?...
In his mind, yes. Do I agree with him, NO! WWII was self-defense for England, France, and Russia, but it was not for America. Are you suggesting that it was not necessary for America to enter WWII?

Pah

Uber all member
There is no question that America did not enter the WWII as a defender. There were acts of war time agression against the United States by 2 ot the Axis powers, Germany and Japan.

But I would consider Iraq and Afganistan to be not required.

Linus

NothingIsNot said:
Was it necessary for Hitler to start a war?
No. But then again, it wasn't really a war until he was challenged. At that point it became a war, and one tht was necessary. In my opinion, that is.

Fluffy

A fool
No. But then again, it wasn't really a war until he was challenged. At that point it became a war, and one tht was necessary. In my opinion, that is.
So you are saying the Polish just sat on their hands as they were decimated on both sides? Agreed the war escalated when the allies joined in but it was a defensive action. War was already happening. And Hitler was challenged LONG before Britain or France became involved.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
WWII was self-defense for England, France, and Russia, but it was not for America.
What would you call it then? If counter-attacking from a surprise attack that nearly wiped out an entire naval base and nearly the entire fleet station there, then what is it? Revenge yes, but the war against Japan was also a self-defense from more attacks.