• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War and civilian death !!

I was reading through www.informationclearinghouse.info and I found this quote, I thought to share it with you:

''American strategists have calculated the proportion of civilians killed in this century's major wars. In the First World War 5 per cent of those killed were civilians, in the Second World War 48 per cent, while in a Third World War 90-95 per cent would be civilians: Colin Ward, Anarchy in Action

Sad but true !!

Runt

Uh huh, sure... they will. There is a quote somewhere... goes something like, "History shows that mankind learns nothing from history." If it kept getting worse and worse like that, then we were NOT learning... and we're still out making war and "accidentally" killing innocents today!

True Runt, I agree with you...

Humans on this earth will never be just, that is why we muslims believe in the hereafter ( Life after death ) when God will judge between us.

We should stop war before war finish us off.

Isis

butyou see with all the ignorant ******** who created this war gone we will have the poer and resources to start fresh. a humanity rebot if you will.
i blame america for a lot of this worlds wrongdoings... hello, they're the ones who put sadam hussein in power!!!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think there is a lot of blame and responsibility to go around, but it's when we all stop blaming each other and start trusting and respecting one another, then we can actively work towards peace and stopping all the wars and fighting.

Alaric

Well, I hope that if I were ever drafted to fight some war, that people wouldn't think it was better that I died than someone who was still lucky enough to call themselves a 'civilian' - hell, they often even have the audacity to attach 'innocent' in front of civilian, making the poor saps recruited suddenly 'guilty'!

Runt

But at least people who are drafted are given some training in being able to stay alive in a conflict... civilians do not have that protection.

Alaric

Ha! Do you think it's safer to have training in how to shoot a gun and throw and grenade and end up somewhere like Vietnam, or would you rather take your chances in the suburban jungle? Civilian deaths are caused by bombs (or genocide), and military training ain't gonna do you no good there. Perhaps it's better that men and women in all age groups and social classes were equally represented in the casualty statistics, rather than just an entire generation of young men - then war wouldn't be just another dimension of foreign policy (paraphrased from someone...).

If people are tuly interested in stopping all this trouble then they must realise that human beings are inherently evil. Thats all we have to do. The trouble is most people don't have the bottle to face up to this fact and kid themselves that they are lovely people. If you have the bottle to face up to this reality then thats a good sign. If we keep kidding ourselves then you can just keep carrying on watching the wars go on.

The desire to recieve in order to receive + the desire to control others = A whole lot of pain and misery! www.kabbalah.info for those who fancy taking another route.

I know I keep banging on about this but I haven't heard one person come out and tell me that what I am saying is wrong.

Runt

Nah... I don't think that would work Truthseeker.... I think people would realize that they are inherently evil and decide that BECAUSE they are INHERENTLY evil, there is no point in fighting their nature...then go right on killing...

I know I keep banging on about this but I haven't heard one person come out and tell me that what I am saying is wrong.

It is not so much that you are doing anything wrong.... it is just that you are presenting it as the Only Truth... and most people on here either believe that there is only ONE way to reach God (and that is, of course, THEIR way), or there are MANY ways to reach God (and therefore any form is as valid as another), or there is no point in TRYING to reach God because it is INEVITABLE that you will reach God whether you try or not (my view...I look around me and I see God everywhere, in everything, and it is great!).

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Truthseeker -

I can come out and say you are wrong, but that would only cause you to strengthen your attachment to your argument, and your attachment to being *right*.

Personally, I like to think that human beings inherently contain the potential for the greatest evil and the greatest good. If mankind were only inherently evil, where does our conception of *good* come from, and why do we consider this desirable? If we are only inherently evil, why are the things we term *evil* considered bad or negative? Wouldn't it be more likely that those things would be considered virtues? Since I am a sci-fi nut, I think in terms of some of the postulated alien societies in recent films and TV: the Klingon, Romulan and Ferengi societies from the Star Trek universe, and the Orcs from the Lord of the Rings. Wouldn't human society more resemble one or more of those if all we are is inherently evil and nothing else?

Just my opinions; YMMV.

Alaric

Engyo said:
I think in terms of some of the postulated alien societies in recent films and TV: the Klingon, Romulan and Ferengi societies from the Star Trek universe, and the Orcs from the Lord of the Rings. Wouldn't human society more resemble one or more of those if all we are is inherently evil and nothing else?

I often wonder whether self-aware beings must necessarily behave like humans. Could alternatives like Orcs even be possible? Wouldn't they just hack each other to bits and die off?