• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart/Big Business : Your views

Bishka

Veteran Member
Since I consider myself a liberal more then a conservative, is it okay if I peek my head in here. I'm sure eveyrone saw the heated "Wal-Mart" discussion thread the past two days. And I did admit I've lost my cool about it, but are your thoughts on Wal-Mart, do you buy there? And do you see the 'internet' as being run by big businesses (as stated in post #111 on the Walmart thread)? Why do you boycott the companies you do? Basically this is a dicussion big businesses and what they are doing to America. :)

jimbob

The Celt
since i havn't actually participated in any of the other big business genre topics, i'm not sure what's going on.

my personal feelings are neutral. i don't have a problem with Wal-Mart. America is all about people succeeding in something they do, yet when someone succeeds, and succeeds on such a grand level as the dude in charge of wal-mart (don't know his name), we get mad at them. seems like a double-standard to me.

Bishka

Veteran Member
since i havn't actually participated in any of the other big business genre topics, i'm not sure what's going on.

my personal feelings are neutral. i don't have a problem with Wal-Mart. America is all about people succeeding in something they do, yet when someone succeeds, and succeeds on such a grand level as the dude in charge of wal-mart (don't know his name), we get mad at them. seems like a double-standard to me.

:) Are you a liberal?

jimbob

The Celt
liberals have their misconceptions. conservatives have their misconceptions. i'm neither. i just calls it like i sees it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
liberals have their misconceptions. conservatives have their misconceptions. i'm neither. i just calls it like i sees it.

Just curious, because it was posted in the Liberal Only section, not saying that you can't post, but that is who I directed it at. I'm curious to actually see if there are any liberals here that shop at Wal-Mart or support big businesses.

jimbob

The Celt
oh sorry. i didn't notice i was in teh liberals only section...*looks around* wait. how the hell did i end up in here? don' t i have to be like, in the liberal club or something?

jimbob

The Celt
......cool! i can see the conservative forum too! or should i only be able to see one? cause if so, (attention admin) i choose the conservative forum. looks they have more interesting stuff going on over there.

nutshell

Beck, define liberal for the purposes of this thread. I consider myself liberal in many ways, but I doubt you want me here.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I shy away from Walmart as much as possible. I suppose the reason is cultural: Walmart is beginning to feel like a subculture here in Maine (and possible elsewhere considering how many times I've heard it spoken of in country songs). It's a culture I simply don't relate to--anymore.

I also am against Walmart selling fish for pets. It grates against my moral center. I remember going through the pet section and seeing all those Betas cooped up in tiny, plastic packages; most of them dying or dead. (Despite popular belief, Betas need lots of room for exercise!)

I am against big businesses in general, mostly do to ecological concerns. I prefer shopping at small town stores. I will pick the local bakery over Dunkin' Donuts any day. Not only are the prices better, the food and coffee is better! Natural food stores--while expensive--are often much friendlier, homey, and less sterile.

There is also something about big business that seems to stifle creativity. Everything's so mainstream and built on flashy fluff and meaningless jargon. The best example is the recording industry. When an underground movement begins to take hold (blues, punk, rap, grunge), it is quickly incorporated into the industry where profit--rather than creativity--drives the music.

lunamoth

Will to love
You know, this is the second time Becky has attempted to discuss this issue which concerns her, and it's the second time the thread has been high-jacked by off-topic and snide remarks. I think it's pretty clear what Becky's question is and I'm also sure that most adults would recognize why she put this question in the liberal forum, especially since some of you were involved in her other thread on this topic.

Frankly I think a couple of people here owe Becky an apology, and if they can't bring themselves to do this at least perhaps they could stop attacking her threads.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Since I consider myself a liberal more then a conservative, is it okay if I peek my head in here. I'm sure eveyrone saw the heated "Wal-Mart" discussion thread the past two days. And I did admit I've lost my cool about it, but are your thoughts on Wal-Mart, do you buy there? And do you see the 'internet' as being run by big businesses (as stated in post #111 on the Walmart thread)? Why do you boycott the companies you do? Basically this is a dicussion big businesses and what they are doing to America. :)

Firstly, I don't know about America. But I am a Liberal (for an ex conservative that was quite a move).

I don't like monopolies, because they are bad for the public; also. I have noticed that with supermarkets, they are intent on only one element - profit.

Taking the equivalent here to your Wal-Mart, I don't like them, but I have to admit that I used them when we were short of money, at the start of our marriage.

Now I can afford to pander to my morals, I steer clear of "Big business".

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of the way they bully their way into communities and the way they treat their employees. I shop at Target instead, who in my mind has better merchandise and comparable prices.

constantine

the Great
wal mart preys on the poor and uneducated by reselling them the same crap over and over and over again... got to go to wal mart now. l need a new frying pan.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I also am against Walmart selling fish for pets. It grates against my moral center. I remember going through the pet section and seeing all those Betas cooped up in tiny, plastic packages; most of them dying or dead. (Despite popular belief, Betas need lots of room for exercise!)

That happen at our Walmart as well. They just sit there in these tiny containers, and it's pathetic. It's always bothered me that they did that; a ocuple of years ago I bought a Beta from Walmart in those little cups.One of the fins was damaged when I bought it, and it didn't last longer then three months. (Totally off the subject, but just letting you know that I agree!)

Bishka

Veteran Member
wal mart preys on the poor and uneducated by reselling them the same crap over and over and over again... got to go to wal mart now. l need a new frying pan.

Oh, I agree; but I'm not going to shop their again, because most of their merchandise is shoddy work. There are a few things that are non-Walmart brand that I am okay with and that has lasted quite awhile, but nearloy 80% of the items I have bought there, have broken or fallen apart within three months.