• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voter ID laws

We Never Know

No Slack
Once again you missed the point. People will take your money if not protected. No one has proven that there is significant voter fraud. No one is taking anyone else's vote. At least not in any significant numbers. How did you not understand this?
Did you go to college? Did you have to have a student ID? Why?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But it does happen even if its few. More secure is the key.
No. Once again, would you take a medicine that is more likely to kill you than the disease? That is what this law does. It prevents far more people from voting than there have been shown to be cases of voter fraud.

ID when someone registers, yes, that is a reasonable request. But for the poor having an ID at all times can be a problem. I have known people on the lower end of the spectrum and was shocked at how many of them had lost a wallet with their ID in it. Losing an ID was fairly common. To justify this law significant voter fraud needs to be demonstrated. It is a "cure" without a disease.

We Never Know

No Slack
I could if I cared to. If it has not been it already has been proven.

By the way, if I prove that this bill hurts those on the lower end of the economic spectrum will you agree that it is a bad law? If you do then I will find the evidence for you. If not then you are probably just looking for an excuse to believe in a bad law that you should know is discr
No. Once again, would you take a medicine that is more likely to kill you than the disease? That is what this law does. It prevents far more people from voting than there have been shown to be cases of voter fraud.

ID when someone registers, yes, that is a reasonable request. But for the poor having an ID at all times can be a problem. I have known people on the lower end of the spectrum and was shocked at how many of them had lost a wallet with their ID in it. Losing an ID was fairly common. To justify this law significant voter fraud needs to be demonstrated. It is a "cure" without a disease.
To vote you have to register. To register you have to have any ID. Is that hard to understand.

We Never Know

No Slack

By the way, if I prove that this bill hurts those on the lower end of the economic spectrum will you agree that it is a bad law? If you do then I will find the evidence for you. If not then you are probably just looking for an excuse to believe in a bad law that you should know is discriminatory.

"I could if I cared to". No support makes your point and argument void and null.

By the way, if I prove that this bill hurts those on the lower end of the economic spectrum will you agree that it is a bad law? If you do then I will find the evidence for you. If not then you are probably just looking for an excuse to believe in a bad law that you should know is discriminatory.

I would agree assuming it is from an unbiased source. But in some ways I see this as no different than Dems trying to buy votes with stimulus packages or cancelling loan debt.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To vote you have to register. To register you have to have any ID. Is that hard to understand.
Since you do not understand that appears to be the case.

Yes, to register to vote, often a once in a lifetime event for people and ID should be required. Once registered why demand an ID? ID's get lost. Wallets get stolen. The poor have a much more difficult time getting ID's than the average person. This bill discriminates against the poor unreasonably.

We Never Know

No Slack

We aren't talking about medicine or death. Talk about a red herring.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would agree assuming it is from an unbiased source. But in some ways I see this as no different than Dems trying to buy votes with stimulus packages or cancelling loan debt.
What would you qualify as an "unbiased source"?

I do have problems with cancelling student debt. There should not be a get out of jail free card for debt that one agreed to. People would have to need to prove that they could not pay that debt to even be considered getting relief if I had my way. I think most can but they put a low priority on that debt.

We Never Know

No Slack
Since you do not understand that appears to be the case.

Yes, to register to vote, often a once in a lifetime event for people and ID should be required. Once registered why demand an ID? ID's get lost. Wallets get stolen. The poor have a much more difficult time getting ID's than the average person. This bill discriminates against the poor unreasonably.

Then like I said in post #58 which you must have missed.

"Maybe the fix should be a picture on voter ID cards. You have to present an ID to register to vote and get a voter ID card so why not add a picture to the voter ID card. Problem solved.

Edit. Also this way if you lose it, show up in person and get another one."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then like I said in post #58 which you must have missed.

"Maybe the fix should be a picture on voter ID cards. You have to present an ID to register to vote and get a voter ID card so why not add a picture to the voter ID card. Problem solved.

Edit. Also this way if you lose it, show up in person and get another one."

Wait a second, are you suggesting that they keep a picture on file for voters? If so then why the need for an ID in the first place? But if they agreed to your system and provided a new voter ID that they based on a picture that they could take while the person voted I would be all for it. I may not have fully understood your suggestion.

If they could keep a picture on file and replace lost ID's at no cost, again voting is right so one has to have a right to the needs to identify oneself, then I am all for it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I keep forgetting you think you are right and its everyone else that is wrong.
You know that is not the case. Try again. Far far too often you have been wrong.

By the way, your idea would work, with the conditions that I gave. The problem is that there are no provisions for this in that law. So we are still left with an immoral law that will likely be overturned in court.

We Never Know

No Slack
Wait a second, are you suggesting that they keep a picture on file for voters? If so then why the need for an ID in the first place? But if they agreed to your system and provided a new voter ID that they based on a picture that they could take while the person voted I would be all for it. I may not have fully understood your suggestion.

If they could keep a picture on file and replace lost ID's at no cost, again voting is right so one has to have a right to the needs to identify oneself, then I am all for it.
Its like this....
John Doe takes his ID to go register to vote. While there they should take his picture and put it on his voter ID card they issue him. From then on out all John Doe needs to vote is his voter ID card. But alas if he should happen to lose his voter ID card, its on file with his picture and they can just simply issue him another one. Problem solved.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Its like this....
John Doe takes his ID to go register to vote. While there they should take his picture and put it on his voter ID card they issue him. From then on out all John Doe needs to vote is his voter ID card. But alas if he should happen to lose his voter ID card, its on file with his picture and they can just simply issue him another one.

I would accept that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But I need to note we are discussing the current bill. No such provision is in it. If it was about voter security you would think that the Republicans would have no problem with this measure. The ID problem has to be solved first and then enforcing it needs to come later.

We Never Know

No Slack
But I need to note we are discussing the current bill. No such provision is in it. If it was about voter security you would think that the Republicans would have no problem with this measure. The ID problem has to be solved first and then enforcing it needs to come later.
See my last post.