• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voter ID laws

Alceste

Vagabond
Just for a sense of contrast, when I go to vote, as a Canadian, I show up with ANY of the following: a) a voter registration thingamabob (it comes in the mail), b) picture ID, or c) a neighbour with either a or b who can vouch for my identity. Then I mark my choice on a paper ballot, which is counted by hand.

Sure, lots of people still vote for the wrong guy, as you can plainly see from looking at our prime minister, but I don't see any need to fix what aint broke.

gnomon

Thanks, gnomon!

I've worked for a government myself. I've been one of those public servants who had to organize tens of thousands of employees to comply with the latest whim of this or that lawmaker. Beyond any other consideration, passing a law today that is supposed to be fully implemented next week is an absolutely ridiculous target. There's a process involved.

I would've opposed your viewpoint until my State started demanding extraneous requirements just to simply renew a driver's license. I fail to see the need of a birth certificate for a driver's license. If one has been licensed to drive there should be no need to produce a birth certificate for such a requirement.

When the State decided this there was barely any announcement of such requirements and the news was flooded with stories of backups at government centers of people who were denied a simple renewal because not only did they lack a birth certificate but they didn't have two forms of residency papers, or rather bills, proving their residency in the State.

I feel the law establishing such requirements was the usual anti-immigration nonsense dominated by the Republican platform which holds sway in Georgia.

While my own personal experience in reestablishing myself in this State was problematic prior to this law was actually rather simple I can see how the new requirements are nothing more than a political play by the majority power for needless vote getting.

Alceste

Vagabond
I would've opposed your viewpoint until my State started demanding extraneous requirements just to simply renew a driver's license. I fail to see the need of a birth certificate for a driver's license. If one has been licensed to drive there should be no need to produce a birth certificate for such a requirement.

When the State decided this there was barely any announcement of such requirements and the news was flooded with stories of backups at government centers of people who were denied a simple renewal because not only did they lack a birth certificate but they didn't have two forms of residency papers, or rather bills, proving their residency in the State.

I feel the law establishing such requirements was the usual anti-immigration nonsense dominated by the Republican platform which holds sway in Georgia.

While my own personal experience in reestablishing myself in this State was problematic prior to this law was actually rather simple I can see how the new requirements are nothing more than a political play by the majority power for needless vote getting.

They're a political play by Republicans who have crunched the numbers and concluded that voter suppression in general increases the likelihood of a GOP victory, and that Voter ID laws are the most effective way of suppressing votes in demographics that tend to vote Democrat.

[youtube]EuOT1bRYdK8[/youtube]
Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube

gnomon

This is completely off topic.

In looking at the last post with an embedded video have other Firefox users noticed a strange situation in which Youtube videos become distorted in scrolling with the mouse?

I've noticed this on Youtube and sites which embed Youtube videos. It's getting rather annoying. The video image is distorted or a single link shows up multiple times when scrolling down the page.

Alceste

Vagabond
This is completely off topic.

In looking at the last post with an embedded video have other Firefox users noticed a strange situation in which Youtube videos become distorted in scrolling with the mouse?

I've noticed this on Youtube and sites which embed Youtube videos. It's getting rather annoying. The video image is distorted or a single link shows up multiple times when scrolling down the page.

Mine is working fine.

gnomon

I must be missing a plugin or something. Or maybe it's AMD because I never had this issue with GeForce. Even after a recent AMD and Flash update I'm still seeing this strange phenomenon with youtube embedded links.

I think I'm going crazy.

Alceste

Vagabond
I must be missing a plugin or something. Or maybe it's AMD because I never had this issue with GeForce. Even after a recent AMD and Flash update I'm still seeing this strange phenomenon with youtube embedded links.

I think I'm going crazy.

Ad links or video links?

gnomon

Ad links or video links?

All links.

Even on Youtube itself I noticed a distortion of the video image when scrolling past the video.

I never had this issue with a Geforce video card but now that I have an AMD card I notice this in embedded videos and even on the sites with Flash videos.

I have no problem playing videos but the distortion is really strange. It's also hard to explain as the image of the video seems to shrink when scrolling past and a hyperlink will show as multiple listings while scrolling past a post.

edit: It's merely annoying but doesn't appear to be a serious functional issue.

Alceste

Vagabond
All links.

Even on Youtube itself I noticed a distortion of the video image when scrolling past the video.

I never had this issue with a Geforce video card but now that I have an AMD card I notice this in embedded videos and even on the sites with Flash videos.

I have no problem playing videos but the distortion is really strange. It's also hard to explain as the image of the video seems to shrink when scrolling past and a hyperlink will show as multiple listings while scrolling past a post.

edit: It's merely annoying but doesn't appear to be a serious functional issue.

Ah, well, this is the extent of my expertise -

[youtube]p85xwZ_OLX0[/youtube]
Have you tried turning it off and on again - YouTube

gnomon

Ah, well, this is the extent of my expertise -

[youtube]p85xwZ_OLX0[/youtube]
Have you tried turning it off and on again - YouTube

Always my default. My everyday job is dealing with ereaders and telling customers to turn off and reboot their devices.

I just learned to live with it and wondered how video links seem to have the titles of the video disappearing by merely scrolling the mouse. I have no problem getting the links to run it's just that their appearance is a bit whacky. Even a recent AMD update hasn't changed the issue. It all appeared to happen after a Firefox update and I thought that was an issue with Flash enabled videos with Youtube. Minor annoyance but it has not prevented me from viewing videos.

Might actually be a hardware issue with my Dell desktop which has been superb in all other aspects. Because I'm loathe to use IE and any other browsers I have not confirmed this issue across any other platforms.

Alceste

Vagabond
Always my default. My everyday job is dealing with ereaders and telling customers to turn off and reboot their devices.

I just learned to live with it and wondered how video links seem to have the titles of the video disappearing by merely scrolling the mouse. I have no problem getting the links to run it's just that their appearance is a bit whacky. Even a recent AMD update hasn't changed the issue. It all appeared to happen after a Firefox update and I thought that was an issue with Flash enabled videos with Youtube. Minor annoyance but it has not prevented me from viewing videos.

Might actually be a hardware issue with my Dell desktop which has been superb in all other aspects. Because I'm loathe to use IE and any other browsers I have not confirmed this issue across any other platforms.

Chrome isn't so bad, I find, although it's next to impossible to maintain any privacy. There's no need to resort to IE!

Harmonious

I wanted to try a few more news sources to prove that voter fraud IS a problem that Voter ID can solve.

Secretary of State says voter fraud claims are 'concerning'

Secretary of State says voter fraud claims are 'concerning' | Target 12 | WPRI.com

Dogs, dead people get voter forms from nonprofit

Dogs, dead people get voter forms from nonprofit | Politics | The Seattle Times

Study: 1.8 Million Dead People Still Registered To Vote

https://www.npr.org/2012/02/14/146827471/study-1-8-million-dead-people-still-registered-to-vote

Nonprofit Voter Participation Center sends election registration docs to dogs, dead people

Nonprofit Voter Participation Center sends election registration docs to dogs, dead people - CBS News

If people can register dead people and dogs to vote, the people who do so don't need to show ID can easily say they are who ever they claim to be (besides their own, valid vote) and vote fraudulently. If the Secretary of State says that it is troubling, I wonder why you can't say the same.