• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices

Unedited

So, today I finally confessed to a friend of mine that I’m schizophrenic. And he replied, “Awesome! So do the voices tell you to do s***? I wish I could hear voices.”

:banghead3

What is wrong with our society? When did it become "cool" to be psychotic?

Or maybe I just need new friends.

Yeah, that's probably it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unedited said:
So, today I finally confessed to a friend of mine that I’m schizophrenic. And he replied, “Awesome! So do the voices tell you to do s***? I wish I could hear voices.”

:banghead3

What is wrong with our society? When did it become "cool" to be psychotic?

Or maybe I just need new friends.

Yeah, that's probably it.
It is a little difficult to say anything positive about your friend; perhaps it was a knee-jerk reaction, because he didn't quite know how to deal with what you had just told him. At the best , he was insensitive, at the worst he was just being plain ignorant.

I wish I could say something positive to you about the condition - other than there is medication to keep you 'stable' - having met quite a few schizophrenics, and having got to know them, I feel for you; it is quite a frightening form of psychosis. However, as I am sure you will have been told, it is a condition that can be managed - but that takes quite some effort. If I may, I would like to say some prayers for you; I am only sorry that that is all I have to offer - apart from 'an ear' if you feel the need for one.:eek:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Many people don't believe that schizophrenia is an illness .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-psychiatry

Some even figure that such things as Shamanic journeys are a form of schizophrenia . So it all depends upon how one views it , and how serious it is . BTW I have often wondered if I am schizophrenic ?

To be diagnosed as having schizophrenia, a person must display:

• A) Characteristic symptoms: Two or more of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a one-month period (or less, if successfully treated)
    • delusions
    • hallucinations
    • disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence). See thought disorder.
    • grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
    • negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening (lack or decline in emotional response), alogia (lack or decline in speech), or avolition (lack or decline in motivation).
Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of hearing voices.
  • B) Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care, are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset.
  • C) Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least six months. This six-month period must include at least one month of symptoms (or less, if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A.

timpeters

Sadly, among many teenagers, psychosis really is considered cool. There's been an ideal of "tragically scarred in a romantic and artistic way" spread through teenage culture, you know, through music like My Chemical Romance and the Kills I think, and other general works of pop art. It sounds kind of wierd to say since there are no words yet developed to explain the bizarre, degenerate values of modern youth. I guess you could say it's an emo thing...coolness through romanticized tragedy. That's the problem with hipsterism....it's an attempt to have one's life emulate art. There's a really good part in the book "Island" by Aldous Huxley about this, where it's basically stated that by turning one's life into a manipulation of symbols and not actual experience you make your life empty and meaningless.

Basically, Unedited, he wasn't try to insult you in any way. He really did think that it was cool to be schizophrenic.

Unedited

Thank you all for your concern. I wasn’t so much mad at my friend (I know he’s an idiot), and I was diagnosed a long time ago, but just concerned with the growing trend. I read an article the other day about how some teens have begun cutting themselves because they view it as cool. I can understand those who go around acting all sad and depressed (In my opinion, just being a teen gives you the right to be depressed) but I worry when people are being hurt over these things. A few years ago, a guy at my school committed suicide, and suddenly everyone was talking about him, so another guy decided he’d attempt suicide because he thought it’d make him more popular.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Unedited said:
(In my opinion, just being a teen gives you the right to be depressed)

Amen! Boy, am I ever glad that part of my life is in the past! Be strong. It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders in spite of everything. I know a guy who is schizophrenic and as long as he's on his meds, you'd never know it. Your friend just needs to grow up. Fortunately, not everyone you share this with will be so stupid and insensitive.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
It sounds like you are really dealing with a lot. I know at your age, most kids feel immortal. Then all of a sudden, you are faced with mortality. It's hard to know young people who died for reasons we do not understand.

All I can say is that you are not alone. Every high school in the US has stories of students who don't live to graduate. And their are others who are facing the same medical condition. Hang in there seems so cliche'ish, but I don't know what else to say.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , slicing one's self isn't good . Hearing voices is another matter , as I see it . Doesn't matter where those voices may be coming from , it is up for you to decide if you listen or not . I know that it isn't that simple at times . All that I'm trying to say here is that we all don't fit into some mode that was designed by people who wanted us all to do so .

Unedited , if you are not a danger to yourself , or others , then you are ahead of many so called sane people { who ever and what ever they may be } . :) Don't worry about it , enjoy life .

That was not said well . I do not mean that you are insane . :) In fact , you appear much more sane then most . And that was what I was trying to say .

I will shut up now and try to pull that foot from my mouth ....