• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Temple and wearing leather

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Namaste everyone,

This is something that has been in my mind for a while now, but I'd like to know what you think:

Should one avoid going to mandir if one is wearing leather shoes and/or a leather belt? If so, does this also include vegetarian leather, or is this is a modern inevitability in the west?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Many people just go. Personally, I draw a vague line. I have a hemp wallet, and there are stores that sell vegan clothing, or denim belts. I believe with more people purchasing these, the availablity will rise, and the price go down.

My only exception is work boots. leather seems to be the toughest material around for that. So its not just temple. The whole world is a temple, after all.

But very traditionally speaking, a devotee wouldn't wear leather. In India, especially in the south, where it is always warm, people do far less. So some of it has to do with climate.

Shuddhasattva

Namaste

As one should bathe before going to the mandir, this also afford the opportunity to wear an outfit that does not include the products of acts considered sinful.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like the idea of wearing leather either, but there is virtually no one who doesn't leave leather shoes at the shoe rack, wear a leather belt, or carry a leather pocketbook. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite in not eating beef but wearing leather. This may be a cop-out, but in this age of kali yuga I think we can only do the best we can do. It's not a perfect world, though I wish it were.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I used to think that way too. But then I realised since when does other peoples' behaviour excuse mine. Non-leather products just aren't that hard to find. If I was younger now, and fit for a labor intensive job, I'd order some vegan boots even. Hope this doesn't violate the rules ... http://www.veganessentials.com/

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I would personally avoid wearing leather but I wouldn't bother about what other people think if you are wearing fake leather. If anyone asks, you can just tell them that it's fake.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to think that way too. But then I realised since when does other peoples' behaviour excuse mine.

Point taken. You know, "if Johnny jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Considering that sometimes I dress for work and the odd funeral or wedding, I have leather shoes. Not to mention the belts. But as I'm dropping weight, it will be easy enough to replace them with hemp. But I don't know which is worse... using what I already have, or throwing them away, making the cow's life all the more in vain. :shrug:

Shuddhasattva

Point taken. You know, "if Johnny jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Considering that sometimes I dress for work and the odd funeral or wedding, I have leather shoes. Not to mention the belts. But as I'm dropping weight, it will be easy enough to replace them with hemp. But I don't know which is worse... using what I already have, or throwing them away, making the cow's life all the more in vain. :shrug:

Namaste

What about giving them to someone who will use them, and doesn't have the same moral code?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a good idea and a possibility. :yes:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
When I go to the Temple, I try to avoid leather altogether. I even made a duck-tape wallet to help ensure this.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you seen the fabric sports wallets that velcro closed? I've had a couple over the years for when I'd bike ride. I would take everything out and just carry some cash, my debit card, driver's license and emergency contact. I think I'll get another one. Any sporting goods store has them.

Wannabe Yogi

I try not to buy leather but if someone gave me leather shoes I would not reject them. My Hiking boots have a little leather in them.

Maya3

A woman wore a fur hat at the Ashram last winter. I was kind of stunned, but I don´t think she had a clue what she was doing.

A lot of people come to the Ashram and they don´t even know we read Hindu scriptures, they think they are Buddhist.

I try to never wear leather, but it does happen with belts and shoes, though I usually shop for cheap shoes, so it´s probably not real leather.

Maya