• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virgin Mary

Me Myself

Back to my username
Is it doctrine that she never had sex with her husband? If it is, from where do yiu get that? And whatever the source, is there any reason given as to why Mary didnt want to have sex or Joseph didnt want to have sex?

Were any of both asexual?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Thana

Lady
Is it doctrine that she never had sex with her husband? If it is, from where do yiu get that? And whatever the source, is there any reason given as to why Mary didnt want to have sex or Joseph didnt want to have sex?

Were any of both asexual?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

You know Google is pree handy right?

If I can remember correctly, Jesus had brothers and sisters.
So yah, They did it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You know Google is pree handy right?

If I can remember correctly, Jesus had brothers and sisters.
So yah, They did it.

Absolutely, but in this cases I am always really interested on the direct interaction with those that professs the believe.

Also, you are in the catholic DIR, I would be really surprised if they changed their doctrine to say Jesus had brothers and sisters. Then again, maybe I always got that part wrong? :cover:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Thanks for the link, but some things I dont understand very well.

What is a protoevangelium? This is the source that says Mary took some kgind of vote of virginity, right?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Thanks for the link, but some things I dont understand very well.

What is a protoevangelium? This is the source that says Mary took some kgind of vote of virginity, right?

You're welcome.

The Gospel of James is an apocryphal book. It basically says that Mary was intrusted to the Lord by her mother, St. Anne, and so Mary basically lived in the Temple until she was 12 and had to be married off. Joseph was chosen to be her husband by lots cast by the priests. It says that Joseph had children from an earlier marriage. Apparently they included that because various Church Fathers cited that book to explain where Jesus' supposed siblings came from.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I must ask, if it is an apocryphal text, why do they accept it as source? And if they do accept it as source, why is it apocryphal? i am abit confused over this. o_O

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I must ask, if it is an apocryphal text, why do they accept it as source? And if they do accept it as source, why is it apocryphal? i am abit confused over this. o_O

I'm not quite sure but it appears that they didn't see it as an inspired document because apparently it has inaccuracies in it. That doesn't mean that it's not useful. It seems pretty good as a way of learning what some early Christians believed.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm not quite sure but it appears that they didn't see it as an inspired document because apparently it has inaccuracies in it. That doesn't mean that it's not useful. It seems pretty good as a way of learning what some early Christians believed.

Thanks for your replies. :)

I would really want to know if anyone does can help with that. How do they know what they an make doctrine of apocryphal documents and what not?

Is fhe only support for Mary's perpetua, virginity on this apocryphal text?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Thanks for your replies. :)

You're welcome.

I would really want to know if anyone does can help with that. How do they know what they an make doctrine of apocryphal documents and what not?

Catholicism upholds Apostolic Succession which proclaims that the leaders of the Church are empowered by the Holy Spirit to decide such things.

The Canon of the Bible
Canon of Scripture: What criteria did the early Christians use to determine it? | Catholic Answers

They were guided by prayerful discernment by the grace of God to form the canon of Scripture.

Is fhe only support for Mary's perpetua, virginity on this apocryphal text?

Nope.

Biblical Evidence for Catholicism: Biblical Evidence for the Perpetual Virginity of Mary
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=9757
The Witness of the Prophets to the Perpetual Virginity of Mary |Blogs | NCRegister.com

Me Myself

Back to my username
You're welcome.

Catholicism upholds Apostolic Succession which proclaims that the leaders of the Church are empowered by the Holy Spirit to decide such things.

The Canon of the Bible
Canon of Scripture: What criteria did the early Christians use to determine it? | Catholic Answers

They were guided by prayerful discernment by the grace of God to form the canon of Scripture.

Nope.

Biblical Evidence for Catholicism: Biblical Evidence for the Perpetual Virginity of Mary
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=9757
The Witness of the Prophets to the Perpetual Virginity of Mary |Blogs | NCRegister.com

Could you tell me?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Instead of posting me links :cover:

I appreciate the links, but I would also like to read the reasons from you.

Edit: about how they know of her state of perpetual virginity

They explain it better than I can. I'm not too familiar with it right now. I can understand the basic reasoning of the doctrine but I don't know the historical development of it.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Instead of posting me links :cover:

I appreciate the links, but I would also like to read the reasons from you.

Edit: about how they know of her state of perpetual virginity

Same way the Jews knew about the faith; Oral Tradition. The need to document everything is a Protestant innovation and modern presupposition. Both Jews and early Christians alike passed down the faith orally and the need to write it down came later. That doesn't mean they didn't write things down, only that it wasn't the norm. Jews and Christians alike were perfectly at peace with something being handed down to them orally. You read:

2 Thessalonians 2:15
"So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter."

The apostles knew she remained a virgin because they first believed in Christ and her perpetual virginity came easy. Also, there is some cultural dimensions to this in that an older widower often took as their wife a much younger women (Mary) and although bearing children and being intimate was the norm, the need for children for a widower was not as pressing.

Hundreds of years after after the death of Christ, early Christians continued to write about the perpetual virginity before the Bible even existed as we know it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So you relay on it in base that founding fathers commented about it and say they knew it because of oral tradition? That is what you are saying?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
So you relay on it in base that founding fathers commented about it and say they knew it because of oral tradition? That is what you are saying?

Yup.

There are biblical references to it but none that are so perspicous that any laymen's can see it. Short of medical records proving it, what more can one expect?