• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VIDEO: Tribe's first contact with other Humans.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I found this while browsing YouTube. An oldie, but a goldie - we studied this video during my Ph.D years:

Bear in mind that this tribe has never seen another group of human beings, let alone a white one.

Things to note:

• Use of iconography for status (read feathers).

• Nose piercings.

• Weaponry (Axes) and primitive bow/arrow type affairs.

The purpose of my particular study was that of convergent behaviour. Noting how humans that are not even aware of the existence of other humans, can manifest behaviours prevalent all around the world (piercings, tattoos, iconography, weaponry). The study focused on environmental factors that cause convergent behaviour (in a bid to question the ideas of 'human nature').

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
It's also an interesting study of how they change their beliefs based on experience/evidence. Unlike us in the 'developed' world, they don't seem to cling rigidly to belief systems and, as a result of their environment, prefer to change their views based on experience.

Laika

Premium Member
it would be fascinating to know how they see us through their eyes. They would see all the things we miss because we take them for granted.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Bear in mind that this tribe has never seen another group of human beings, let alone a white one.
I didn't hear of this, and I don't know how true it would be either way. I've watched the programme before but I didn't hear it state that they have never encountered another group of humans throughout their existence. Instead, I heard him mention about the purpose of the expedition being when to take malaria pills - issued by the Papuan government, which would indicate this is not the case.

In addition, I think it would be far too difficult for a tribe, short of living on an isolated island or through deliberate, conscious isolation, to have never encountered another group of human beings. Even the Sentinelese tribe have had some encounters with humans throughout their history, usually not ending well for the non-Sentinelese.

In addition, I did a bit of quick reading on Wiki and came across this, which would indicate this is probably not the case:

"The Angu or Änga people, also called Kukukuku (pronounced "cookah-cookah") or Toulambi by neighbouring tribes, are a small and previously violent group speaking a number of related languages[1] and living mainly in the high, mountainous region of south-western Morobe, a province of Papua New Guinea. Even though they are a short people, often less than 5 foot, they were once feared for their violent raids on more peaceful villages living in lower valleys.[2]"

- Angu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you direct me to where it is stated that they have never encountered another group of humans, please?

It's also an interesting study of how they change their beliefs based on experience/evidence. Unlike us in the 'developed' world, they don't seem to cling rigidly to belief systems and, as a result of their environment, prefer to change their views based on experience.
What do you mean?

One of the things that strikes me as interesting from the film is that they don't begin to suddenly worship or whatever the pale-skinned white man with modern technology. Kind of points against 'ancient aliens worshipped as gods', at least to me. They're shocked, at first, as these people are white like ghosts would be, and they have strange things they've never seen which initially make them nervous, but afterwards, meh. A healthy-but-cautious interest. Nobody sees them prostrating or worshipping them.

The video reminds me of the tribe who encountered white people before who immediately began holding their heads, because there was a belief in the tribe that when they encountered white people the sky would fall on their heads. I can't remember if it's in this video or not though.

Jumi

They had heard from another tribe that there are people who could help them. Before this filiming they were an uncontacted tribe.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I didn't hear of this, and I don't know how true it would be either way. I've watched the programme before but I didn't hear it state that they have never encountered another group of humans throughout their existence.

I got that bit wrong. Go easy on me, it's been decades since I saw it.

What do you mean?

One of the things that strikes me as interesting from the film is that they don't begin to suddenly worship or whatever the pale-skinned white man with modern technology. Kind of points against 'ancient aliens worshipped as gods', at least to me. They're shocked, at first, as these people are white like ghosts would be, and they have strange things they've never seen which initially make them nervous, but afterwards, meh. A healthy-but-cautious interest. Nobody sees them prostrating or worshipping them.

The video reminds me of the tribe who encountered white people before who immediately began holding their heads, because there was a belief in the tribe that when they encountered white people the sky would fall on their heads. I can't remember if it's in this video or not though.

They thought of white men as 'The Living Dead.' A belief that suddenly changed when they actually made contact with one. They didn't seem to argue about the ideas surrounding the belief like we do. Once they were able to disprove the basis behind their belief, they abandoned it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I got that bit wrong. Go easy on me, it's been decades since I saw it.
Ah, okay. Not to worry. A fairly easy mistake to make. :)

They thought of white men as 'The Living Dead.' A belief that suddenly changed when they actually made contact with one. They didn't seem to argue about the ideas surrounding the belief like we do. Once they were able to disprove the basis behind their belief, they abandoned it.
Ah, I see. True enough. Although, to be fair to them, there is the question of if they even believed in the existence of white people at the time, anyway. I think it'd be a little more difficult to keep a belief in something like that than something a bit more, well, metaphysically abstract or a huge part of their identity. (I'm ignoring that there is question about the authenticity of the video, as well.)

I think it'd be more like, say, the duck-billed platypus. When first discovered, many thought it was a hoax. I imagine when they were shown to be real, people just said something like 'well I'll be'.

I wonder how the tribe is doing, now.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I wonder how the tribe is doing, now.

Probably not as well as they were doing before they were contacted.

What always bugs me is that 'missionaries' of various religions always seem very quick to jump on these tribes and change their ways/beliefs, etc. Very disrespectful if you ask me.

Jumi

Just like you feared Quatermass. In the country of superstitious beliefs and little background in the modern world, the words of missionaries have been taken literally and without the context of the modern world. Let no witch live seems to be the order of the day there now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just like you feared Quatermass. In the country of superstitious beliefs and little background in the modern world, the words of missionaries have been taken literally and without the context of the modern world. Let no witch live seems to be the order of the day there now.
There are many cultures that have a believe that is approximately the same to thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, no Christian missionary contact needed.