• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video game reviews

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
This thread is to post personal reviews of video games.

Feel free to participate!

I grew up with video games, being only 25 years old myself. Currently getting back into gaming, it is such a joyous way to pass time. What a time to be alive.

I am not going to assign numbered grades to any of my reviews, just gonna share my thoughts.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@PoetPhilosopher I am pretty sure you are an avid gamer, right?

I thought you'd might enjoy participating in this thread.

Sure!

I'd like to talk briefly about a few games I played recently...

Mario Wonder, in my opinion, is creative, has good animation, and has a very Mario 3 like feel. The game also has secrets, and more to do after you beat the game (for completionists). My only complaints are the short length (for a quick finish), as well as a confusing and limited online mode (which is still better than not having the mode, however).

My score: 9.7/10

---

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
is a game that adds a bit of voice-acting to the Zelda series, and tries to expand from the Zelda: Breath of the Wild formula, adding new mechanics like the ability to craft things. Unfortunately, I saw the new mechanics as a bit "gimmicky", felt that a bit of the magic of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was lost in this sequel, and saw the game as a game which reuses assets, but in a less magical way than what was done with the reuse of assets in Zelda: Ocarina of Time -------> Zelda: Majora's Mask.

My score: 7.0-8.5 / 10

---

Mario 3D World: Bowser's Fury
is a Mario game with a lot of levels, and is two games in one. In Mario 3D World, your skill is tested as your progress through levels - although, I feel there is balance to the game too in the form of extra power-ups appearing to help you when you get stuck.

In Bowser's Fury, you travel through an open world and ultimately fight Bowser in titanic battles, in a formula that both reminds me of Mario 3D World and Mario 64, and this somewhat bite-sized adventure has a lot of creativity, and leaves you wishing it was a larger game and begging for more.

Mario 3D World: Bowser's Fury (Switch) has both games in one.

My score: 10/10

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
In Sonic Frontiers, you explore large, interesting exotic worlds to collect Chaos Emeralds by means of completing smaller stages you uncover or fishing mini-games, leading up to boss battles where you play as Super Sonic. The boss battles and characterization and storyline are all solid. Unfortunately, Sonic's advancement to open world is not without challenges - the large worlds can also come off empty, shallow, repetitive, and with a lack of characters and events.

My score: 6.0-7.3 / 10

---

Sonic Superstars
is a new 2D Sonic game that tries to be old-school, but seems to have some of the frustrating game design of "old school" games more so than having much of the charm that came with them. Not only did I experience the occasional game-breaking bug as I played through the game, but I soon realized that Sega had released a much better and more complete Sonic game for iPad for free than what Sonic Superstars is - all the while having the nerve to charge me $60 for Sonic Superstars.

My score: 3.0/10

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Recently, I also tried the new Tomb Raider Trilogy for Switch. The graphics are interesting - they don't try to be super realistic, but rather, try to be an expansion on the Playstation 1 graphics. Another great feature is the ability to switch between these "new" graphics, and the "old" graphics of the Playstation 1 where nothing is enhanced. The gameplay itself reminds me of the game Tomb Raider Anniversary, but I'd say the graphics style is different.

The controls to this game aren't perfect and need more work, however.

That being said, I would recommend this game to people who like Tomb Raider games, and also, I might even recommend it to people who liked the old, original XBox - era Star Wars games. The game engine just feels similar.

My score: 6.0-7.5 / 10

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

Batman: Arkham Asylum is a tightly crafted and linear experience.

The story is good. It isn't anything mind blowing, but it certainly isn't boring. Certainly is quite brutal though.

The bread and butter of the game is the combat. If the combat sucked, the game would suck I feel, as that's what you are doing the whole game. But in this game, they absolutely NAILED the hand to hand fighting you do as Batman. First off, it looks super cool. Though your attack is one button and your counter is simply another, there are a variety of different animations for each type of attack. Most importantly, however, you have a lot of fun being a literal human wrecking ball. You might walk into a room and there will be a group of ten inmates ready to kick your butt. But that's ok, you are the Batman, YOU beat them all up instead. Batman has tools at his disposal too. You can use these tools in combat, such as a batarang or (totally non lethal) explosive gel, and really have a fluid and flexible combat style. The enemy variety isn't too complex but it is enough to keep the combat thoroughly engaging all the way to the credits. Sometimes, you have to be stealthy instead of not. These parts are also fun, and you can often choose between stealth and non-stealth.

The weakest parts of the games has to be the several boss battles. You are in Arkham Asylum, where all the super villains are locked up, so there are a lot of interesting antagonists for you to fight throughout. With Scarecrow, for example, what happens in the story and cinematics between Scarecrow and Batman is cool, but the actual boss battles between scarecrow are super lame. It's just platforming sections, and Arkham Asylum isn't played for it's platforming. The rest of the boss battles involve using the batarang on the boss in some way when they make themselves vulnerable, and this will give you a chance to get off some damage. I was disappointed by my second boss battle in the game, until, during the battle, the regular combat (regular bad guys) were thrown into the mix of the boss battle. Then, I realized the boss battles were fun with the regular combat mixed in, as it was an additional level to the excellent combat sections.

Overall, this game was so fun. Specifically, beating a bunch of people up, and doing so tactically (going for the guy with a gun first or something).

If you are a fan of Batman, even a casual one, I say play this game! I look forward to playing the sequels.

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
My tastes are more strategic type games though...might not be quite your thing?
Strategy is my favorite genre actually!!! I'm not that dexterous or speedy or reflexive, I'm a thinker. But I don't have a PC, where a lot of the strategy games are. I am deciding whether I am going to invest in a gaming laptop this year, because I really want to start playing the Total War series again as well as Civilization VI with mods. But I might just invest into pre-ordering the Total War Rome board game instead and be satisfied.

I have a Nintendo Switch currently. Not too many strategy games on there, but I am playing XCOM 2. They also have the Fire Emblem games, but they be pricey. Beat the first XCOM recently, I plan on posting a review here on that one soon.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Strategy is my favorite genre actually!!! I'm not that dexterous or speedy or reflexive, I'm a thinker. But I don't have a PC, where a lot of the strategy games are. I am deciding whether I am going to invest in a gaming laptop this year, because I really want to start playing the Total War series again as well as Civilization VI with mods. But I might just invest into pre-ordering the Total War Rome board game instead and be satisfied.

I have a Nintendo Switch currently. Not too many strategy games on there, but I am playing XCOM 2. They also have the Fire Emblem games, but they be pricey. Beat the first XCOM recently, I plan on posting a review here on that one soon.
Oooh...I'm a big fan of XCOM 2, including the extensions.
Never had a Switch, but I do really like this game (I play it on PC, which has the advantage of mods) but still...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Portal 2 is tops. Half Life series is a close 2nd. Thief 1&2 and Deusx are good. There are, however, a lot of popular games I have not tried. I've barely seen Quake. Haven't tried Duke Nuke'm or Doom or Diablo.

Super Smash Brothers is terrific.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Portal 2 is tops. Half Life series is a close 2nd. Thief 1&2 and Deusx are good. There are, however, a lot of popular games I have not tried. I've barely seen Quake. Haven't tried Duke Nuke'm or Doom or Diablo.

Super Smash Brothers is terrific.
I remember playing Quake and Doom in the retro years along with Duke Nukem. Just wishing to come across a health or ammo pick up before my impending demise.

Those were the days.