• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video clip.. you should watch

Tawn

See how easy it is for someones beliefs to get the better of them... can we be sure that we arent under the same false pretenses? Us Atheists too?

Montalban

Tawn said:
See how easy it is for someones beliefs to get the better of them... can we be sure that we arent under the same false pretenses? Us Atheists too?
Is atheism a belief?

meogi

I don't consider normal forms of atheism to be under any 'false pretenses'... the lack of belief (generally) comes from lack of warrant for such belief. There is no rejection, and therefore no pretense.

That said, I question my lack of belief all the time... would I like to believe? Yes, of course. But that in turn ends up strengthening my belief that it would be unwarranted.

Montalban

meogi said:
I don't consider normal forms of atheism to be under any 'false pretenses'... the lack of belief (generally) comes from lack of warrant for such belief. There is no rejection, and therefore no pretense.

That said, I question my lack of belief all the time... would I like to believe? Yes, of course. But that in turn ends up strengthening my belief that it would be unwarranted.
What do you question about non-belief?

ayani

faith itself is a facinating thing. wonderful clip, Tawn.

surely believing in (or assuming) something that makes us feel good, as the video says, is a strong basis for continuing belief. is there anything wrong with a personally held belief being held on that basis?

Montalban

gracie said:

surely believing in (or assuming) something that makes us feel good, as the video says, is a strong basis for continuing belief. is there anything wrong with a personally held belief being held on that basis?
Depends on if you can feel good at other people's expense.

M

Majikthise

The sheep say's, Baaaaaaahh!

Either that guy is really good or she is unimaginably gullible. :areyoucra
I'll bet he has no problems getting dates.

Montalban

gracie said:
but surely not every belief is held at another's expense... how do you mean?
This is true, but when you said
gracie said:
It seemed to me that you are suggesting that a rule of thumb be only that something feels good. IF something feels good AND is at someone else's expense, I hope you'd factor that in.

Montalban

meogi said:
I always wonder if I should be believe in some supernatural forces... never has it led me to actually do so, however.
What makes you even consider the question about super-natural forces?

What makes you think all the answers lie within the natural? Does this mean you believe science, for instance, can (possibly) answer all life's questions?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
That's the kind of clip that makes me so confused; my intellect tells me it's rigged, my heart wants it to be true.

It wasn't just hypnosis or suggestion - because the girl couldn't see him binding her legs; true, she saw the rest. I think that point more than anything else makes me think it's rigged.:eek:

Tawn

michel said:
It wasn't just hypnosis or suggestion - because the girl couldn't see him binding her legs; true, she saw the rest. I think that point more than anything else makes me think it's rigged.:eek:
This guy has dont TONS of this stuff... he maintains he doesnt use stooges.. and considering the amount of things hes done it seems hard to believe he could keep all those people silent.

To answer your doubts.. although yes the girl cannot see the binding (I spotted that too) it seems somewhat obvious what hes going to do with the doll and the string dont you think?? :confused:

If you want to see more go here:
http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/video/

(particularily I'd like to know if you think this one is a set-up: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/streaming/suggestion.ram )

Tawn

gracie said:

He also said it devalues the idea of truth. Which I agree with. If you are going to pursue beliefs which makes you happy - you should admit to yourself that you are abandoning the search for truth in favour of personal gratification.