• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vedanta Philosophy: Where exactly are our samskaras stored?

Red_Drag0n

As per the vedanata school of philosophy, chitta or the subconscious mind is the store house of all samskaras or impressions.
Now in an advaita article, it was mentioned that it's the causal body where all our samskaras and vasanas are stored in seed form.

Is this causal body / karana sharira part of the subconscious mind (chitta)? Thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As per the vedanata school of philosophy, chitta or the subconscious mind is the store house of all samskaras or impressions.
Now in an advaita article, it was mentioned that it's the causal body where all our samskaras and vasanas are stored in seed form.

Is this causal body / karana sharira part of the subconscious mind (chitta)? Thanks.

Schools will vary on it. I think. In my school, the causal body is the body of the soul, or soul body, and continues on from lifetime to lifetime, until final merger. The subconscious mind is the mind that develops from experiences in this lifetime, in other words, our memory mind, with all the ramifications of that.

The samskaras, from all lifetimes, are stored in seed form, under and around the sahaswara chakra, and a few are released each lifetime to grow, and to be worked out. Often called seed karmas. The area odf mind here is the superconscious mind, or the mind of the soul.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Samskaras, how the child is raised in the family and its impressions that linger on, education, experiences, religious beliefs, all stored in memory, subconscious mind. That is all that I believe in, being such an ignorant person. ;)

Red_Drag0n

Do you know what gives rise to the latent samskaras? Some say it's our vasanas or desires that makes the latent samskaras to manifest.
But what about if there's no desire in the first place and all of a sudden a random thought from our subconsciousness, flashes in our conscious mind.

Like for example, a person is walking on the beach or reading a newspaper in his house , and all of a sudden the tune of a song that he listened few years back flashes in his mind, (the memory of that song flashes in his mind). But there was no desire or thought related to this song in his mind in the first place. He was rather busy in some other work. Then what could have triggered the stored samskara of a past experience to rise?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you know what gives rise to the latent samskaras? Some say it's our vasanas or desires that makes the latent samskaras to manifest.
But what about if there's no desire in the first place and all of a sudden a random thought from our subconsciousness, flashes in our conscious mind.

Like for example, a person is walking on the beach or reading a newspaper in his house , and all of a sudden the tune of a song that he listened few years back flashes in his mind, (the memory of that song flashes in his mind). But there was no desire or thought related to this song in his mind in the first place. He was rather busy in some other work. Then what could have triggered the stored samskara of a past experience to rise?

Lots of reasons I suppose. Perhaps something similar in the conditions triggers it. A certain smell, a certain colour, that was the same as the first time. The subconscious remembers the entire experience, what brought it on, etc. Another possibility is it's not your thoughts. Really sensitive people will pick up on someone else's thoughts. The indicator is the total randomness of it.

Sometime the spiritual side will trigger it because that side (superconscious) knows you're ready to work it out. In my sampradya we do a tantra called vasana daha tantra, which helps clear the mind of any emotion attached to such things, hence 'emptying' the subconscious so other parts can be more accessible.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you know what gives rise to the latent samskaras?
I would say evolution. :D That is why tortoises and crabs rush towards sea and the new-born of vertebrates search for the boobs.

Like for example, a person is walking on the beach or reading a newspaper in his house , and all of a sudden the tune of a song that he listened few years back flashes in his mind, (the memory of that song flashes in his mind).
Our excellent memory system, refined and re-refined for some 700 million years (that is when science says brain structure made a beginning). These thoughts spring from old memories.

Red_Drag0n

Thanks Vinayaka.

@Aup, i was expecting mostly a non-scientific explanation. But thanks anyway.

Last edited: