• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vape or Smoke?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I've been smoking since I was 15, which means I've been smoking for 17 years. A month ago, I started using a PV(Personal Vaporizer) instead of tobacco. My lungs have cleared out, and I don't feel the need to vape(the electronic cigarette version of smoke) as often as I did a month ago. It is cheaper and it tastes much better without the tar, CO, and hundreds of other chemicals added. The Doctors, a television show in the US, has endorsed them as a safer alternative to cigarettes, and I want to see/hear the experiences of others.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I'm curious about this as well.

I've been non smoker for about 9 months now. Though over past 20 years, I've had more years as non-smoker than as a smoker.

Poisonshady313

I'm good friends with someone who sells e-cigs. I've had an opportunity to read the literature and ask her questions.

It certainly is less expensive and much safer than smoking.

But I'm wondering, Yosi, if you're interested in quitting nicotine altogether?

The brand of e-cig I'm familiar with is Nuvo. each cartridge equals one pack. Each pack of cartridges contains five cartridges. At $10 per pack of cartridges, we're talking $2 per equivalent of a pack of cigarettes. Assuming (and of course, I could be wrong) that before e-cigs you were a pack a day smoker, we're talking about $126 you could have saved in addition to the $1,334 you've saved already.

And also consider that nicotine itself isn't a very pleasant drug.

From the wikipedia page on nicotine gum:

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor; it constricts arteries, making it harder for the heart to pump blood through the body. Repeated nicotine exposure contributes to accelerated coronary artery disease, acute cardiac ischemic events, and hypertension. Additionally, studies have shown that nicotine exposure contributes to stroke, peptic ulcer disease, and esophageal reflux. Further, nicotine may cause wounds to heal more slowly and may be associated with reproductive toxicity

We're not talking about smoking... we're talking about nicotine itself.

That's the stuff that causes the anxiety, the nausea, the irritability, the insomnia, etc... associated with the period between fixes.

Nicotine is the addictive part. There is no oral fixation. There is no habit. Otherwise, you'd have to believe that heroin addicts aren't just addicted to heroin, but they're addicted to stabbing themselves with needles.

(Speaking of needles, here's a fun fact: If you took the same amount of nicotine that is found in one cigarette and inject it directly into your bloodstream, it will kill you.)

If you want to end your addiction, there is a way. An easy way. In fact, it's called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

It's very inexpensive (the book is $15 hardcover at any major bookstore, sometimes cheaper if you buy it online).

It doesn't require drugs.

It doesn't take long (As little as 6 hours, depending on how long it takes you to read the whole book).

You'll be able to enjoy becoming nicotine free, permanently, without any cravings or desire to get another nicotine fix.

The author is a man who used to smoke 5 packs per day, discovered how easy and enjoyable quitting is, and has helped millions of smokers quit using his method.

I'll be honest and admit that I have never been a smoker... yet I've read through the book several times, and the smokers I have recommended the book to tell me that the author is absolutely right, and that they've stopped smoking after reading his book, and don't miss it at all. My uncle is a guy who smoked for 40 years, and nobody thought he would ever stop smoking until the day he died. I gave him a copy of the book, and as of today he's been a happy non-smoker for the last year and 9 months. I feel confident in recommending the book, despite myself not having the credibility of being an ex-smoker, because I find it hard to believe that there's anybody on this planet who understands the psychology of smokers and the reality of nicotine addiction better than the author, Alan Carr .

I'd love to tell you more, but only if you're interested. Please let me know.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
PS,
I'm stepping down on nicotine. Also, buying fresh cartridges every time you use one up would prove excessively expensive to me. I buy cartomizers(cartridge+atomizer) as I wear them out. I typically refill the cartomizers about 20X each with e-liquid. Oh, btw, I also sell the stuff. I find the Joye 510-style ecig to be superior to the 401 that the Nuvo uses in both quality and utility.

Poisonshady313

PS,
I'm stepping down on nicotine.

Is your goal to stop altogether? Or just to replace smoking with a healthier, less expensive nicotine intake method?

If it is the latter, then you're doing exactly what you should be doing. It's healthier, less expensive, you might even enjoy the experience better than smoking, as well as the taste.

If your intent is to completely end your dependence on nicotine, the method I recommend is the sort of thing that can be done in less than a day, instead of taking months.

Rakhel

Poisonshady, his goal is to quit the nicotine. the way he is doing it is working for him. he has tried all other methods before taking my hint about e-cigs. He was just initially going to switch to the e-cigs then found that they have different levels of nicotine but still retain the same level of flavor and "throat-hit" he needed.

Poisonshady313

Poisonshady, his goal is to quit the nicotine. the way he is doing it is working for him. he has tried all other methods before taking my hint about e-cigs. He was just initially going to switch to the e-cigs then found that they have different levels of nicotine but still retain the same level of flavor and "throat-hit" he needed.
Does "all other methods" include Allen Carr's Easyway method?

Poisonshady313

I don't know. who is allen carr? and if it's a hypnotist forget it.

It's not a hypnotist.

Allen Carr is a guy who used to smoke 5 packs a day, until he figured out the key to stopping smoking that doesn't require a person to spend another three months feeding their nicotine addiction, that doesn't cause a feeling of deprivation or depression, that makes the process of stopping smoking enjoyable and permanent.

The easiest and most inexpensive way to experience the easyway method is by reading the book ($15). Rather than tell you the reasons why you shouldn't smoke, he tells you the truth about why smokers smoke. He destroys the myths and illusions that smokers have about why they smoke.

Two of the FAQs from the website:

How does it work?

Allen Carr's Easyway works by helping smokers to completely eliminate their desire to smoke. With no desire to smoke, it doesn't take willpower not to do so.
We achieve this by teaching smokers how to dramatically shift their perspective with respect to smoking. From the right perspective, quitting is easy.

What about the terrible physical withdrawal?

The panic feeling that most smokers describe as nicotine withdrawal is nothing to do with nicotine. It is a physical symptom of a psychological process. It occurs when we want to smoke but can't. This conflict creates feelings of deprivation, sacrifice, anxiety and stress. However, with the Easyway method there is no desire to smoke, and therefore no conflict.

I've seen it work. My uncle smoked for about 40 years. Never saw him without a cigarette. Never had a family dinner or social function (i.e. weddings, sweet 16s, etc) where he didn't spend a lot of time outside smoking. House full of ashtrays and lighters. Tried everything he could think of to quit smoking. Tried the gum, the patch, motivational approaches that emphasize willpower, etc... it would stop him smoking for a couple of months, and he'd end up right back where he started. He was by my mother's side (his sister) when she was dying of lung cancer caused by smoking... and that also worked... for only a couple of months. Then my father would start up with "How can you keep doing that when you saw what it did to your sister?" But he just couldn't stop. One day, after having read through the book a couple of times, I recommended it to him. He was very skeptical and not too keen on trying to quit again because the last time he tried he put on a lot of weight very quickly, and that scared him right back into smoking again.

But I purchased him a copy of his own, asked him to read the book with an open mind, and to follow the instructions (i.e. don't try to stop before reaching the end of the book, if at this point in the book you're unsure of something, take this time to re-read a chapter, etc...)

He started reading the first few chapters. He told me it made a lot of sense, and he was hearing a lot of stuff that surprised him a bit, but in the intro chapters where it talks about the success of his method, it sounds like a lot of hype just to sell books. Seemed like he was reading a couple of chapters at a time, which is fine 'cause he's a busy guy... but then when he had a very worrisome smoker's cough, it made him get serious and really pay attention and reach the end of the book.

Since that moment, a year and 8 months ago, he has been a non-smoker. He doesn't have any desire or cravings to smoke whatsoever. He doesn't miss it. There are no longer ashtrays in his house. He didn't put on weight. And he's not afraid to talk about smoking, because there are no triggers in this world that could made him start smoking again. All he did was read the book once. At his own pace, with a cigarette in hand, and when he extinguished his final cigarette, he was done smoking forever.

Here's a video of Allen Carr talking about his method. It's less than 4 minutes, which means it's to the point. I think it's the intro to the DVD. [youtube]ADGHMixrko4[/youtube]
Introduction to Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking - YouTube

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Just wondering, does Vaping have the same "Buzz" as tobacco?

No not thinking of doing either of them.

Rakhel

Judging by what Yosi has said, it depends on the product. Some smokers like that feeling in the back of their throat when the smoke hits it. Some products produce that hit, others don't. Right now, I am playing my violin at yosi because he spent $10 on a product that doesn't "hit" him the way he wants it to, and don't feel he should buy another one until he is almost done with the one he has.

Poisonshady313

BTW, I don't work for Easyway or anything like that. There's nothing in this for me. It just made a serious impact on me, and I want to make it known to people who have a hard time stopping smoking.

If doctors and politicians in this world were serious about wanting to help people to stop smoking, they wouldn't rely on what is commonly known as Nicotine Replacement Therapy. Of course, that term is a load of crap. You're not replacing it... you're giving the person nicotine to get them to quit their addiction to nicotine. The gum, the patch... have something around a 10% success rate. It's not designed to work. It's expensive, you have to buy a three month supply, and you're almost guaranteed to either get addicted to the gum, or go right back to smoking again. So you have to buy the gum again... and rather than spend the rest of your life as a non-smoker, you're spending the rest of your life quitting smoking over and over again. Unless you don't have the money for it, then you just give up trying to quit.

Easyway isn't as heavily advertised as it should be. It spreads by word of mouth. From one ex-smoker to the next. Or, in my case, from one non-smoker to anyone who's willing to listen.

I hope I haven't come across as pushy. I see the number of days Yosi has been vaping, and I think to myself, if his goal is to stop completely, he could have been done in one day, or at most less than a week... rather than two months (and counting).

I just want to help, and I hope you'll look into it.

I don't just recommend this to the heavy smokers... I recommend it to the social smoker, the casual smoker, the e-cig smoker, the people spending too much for NRT... I even recommend it to people who have already quit smoking, but who feel so strongly that they really want another cigarette, and the fact that they can't have it is pure torture. There's something about being able to enjoy becoming a permanent non-smoker, and on top of all the obvious benefits of stopping smoking is the freedom. The freedom experienced by all non-smokers who neither need, want, desire, or crave another nicotine fix.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I fear I may have gone on for too long, and I hope you haven't found this boring.

Rakhel

i don't think anyone thought you were working for easyway. But that's just me.
You found a way that works for one smoker. It may work for another.

I wonder if there is a smokers' club hiding somewhere on this site? As well as a quit-smoking and non-smoking club?

Poisonshady313

i don't think anyone thought you were working for easyway. But that's just me.
Either way, the point I was trying to drive home is that my persistence isn't for any sort of personal gain.
You found a way that works for one smoker. It may work for another.
It has worked for millions of smokers. And will continue to work for countless millions of others. My uncle is just the first person I've personally seen it work for, which is especially significant because of all the other ways he had tried to quit for so many years.

I wonder if there is a smokers' club hiding somewhere on this site? As well as a quit-smoking and non-smoking club?

Not that I'm aware of.