• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Values

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Hmmm.....this last month (whew! thank goodness I have been so good lately;) ) Probably friendship and love. I have also been on a spiritual quest, wherever that might fit.

robtex

Veteran Member
Dadball said:
Look at the last month of your life, what would an outsider consider your values are?:cool:

Most people think my values are just fine. I wanted to make a point though about this question. It is a very Christian way of thinking. Always worrying about what your neigbors are gonna think, what God is gonna think and what Jesus is gonna think. I don't want to say that what others think does not matter because they do but, I think one should accept responsiblty for ones own morals and values without needing big brother's or others prescene to motivate them but by their own intrinsic motivation. I would say for me, that it does not matter if God is watching or not or what my neigbors know or not...my motivation for my moral and value choices are not held in check for fear of what others think but instead are what I personally feel is acceptable and right on a daily basis. "What an outsider considers your moral values are" comes across as a spin on original sin.

Dadball

robtex said:
Most people think my values are just fine. I wanted to make a point though about this question. It is a very Christian way of thinking. Always worrying about what your neigbors are gonna think, what God is gonna think and what Jesus is gonna think. I don't want to say that what others think does not matter because they do but, I think one should accept responsiblty for ones own morals and values without needing big brother's or others prescene to motivate them but by their own intrinsic motivation. I would say for me, that it does not matter if God is watching or not or what my neigbors know or not...my motivation for my moral and value choices are not held in check for fear of what others think but instead are what I personally feel is acceptable and right on a daily basis. "What an outsider considers your moral values are" comes across as a spin on original sin.
This is not a "Christian" thing. Christians don't have the corner on values. It is a question that should promote self evalutation. Am I living my values? Do my deeds match my values?

robtex

Veteran Member
Dadball said:
This is not a "Christian" thing. Christians don't have the corner on values. It is a question that should promote self evalutation. Am I living my values? Do my deeds match my values?

If you need an outsider to keep your values in check than even if your values are strong your motivations are weak.

Pah

Uber all member
Dadball said:
... It is a question that should promote self evalutation. Am I living my values? Do my deeds match my values?

For me, that is a better question. And for me, the answer is that I have no guilt so my actions and my values are in concert.

Bob

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Dadball said:
I think like any human being i fall short of what i expect for myself but the point is i get back up and keep reaching. Yaakov's ladder and all that (and for everyone that's in this week's Torah portion!:jiggy: )