• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UUs at Easter: Are We Christian, too?

applewuud

Well, we're coming up on Easter. Most UUs I know see Easter in an allegorical light, with earth-centered UUs seeing it in light of returning spring, Jewish UUs seeing it as a time of cleaning up our act and rededicating ourselves, and UU Christians as a commemoration of an inner spiritual resurrection, not a physical one. It's a time when the question of "are UUs Christians?" seems to come up the most.

Rev. Marlin Lavanhar, the minister of All Souls in Tulsa, in the heart of the bible belt, preached a very interesting sermon on that question on March 23rd. It's a very comprehensive yet understandable historical survey of how Unitarianism was born out of bible criticism:
[youtube]7mNyHAkkq7I[/youtube]
'Are We Christian, Too?' - (Rev. Marlin Lavanhar) - YouTube

I'd encourage you to watch from about 24 minutes to the end (the last six minutes) and come back here and post your reactions. Given this frank exposition of what most UUs really believe, where does that leave the Easter story for you?

Last edited:

applewuud

Again--just the last six minutes of the video are enough. If you don't have any time for the video, that's OK, your thoughts about Easter from a UU perspective would still be appreciated. :help: