• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah Mormons

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Since almost all of the Latter-day Saints who post on RF live outside of Utah, I'd be curious as to what your perception of Utah Mormons is. I've heard you guys don't like us much. :D So, speak up and tell me how we came by our awful reputation.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Since almost all of the Latter-day Saints who post on RF live outside of Utah, I'd be curious as to what your perception of Utah Mormons is. I've heard you guys don't like us much. :D So, speak up and tell me how we came by our awful reputation.
I actually lived there for 6-7 years. I think it's about 10% of the population in Utah that makes us think that way. Unfortunatley, people who meet Utah Mormons meet that 10% most of that time.

They are very judgemental of anyone who doesn't live outside of Zion, they think they are better then everyone else, there are lots of things that I noticed when I lived. I was an outsider the whole time, because I moved from outside of Utah.

jonny

Katzpur said:
I was born in Utah and lived here until I was 8. I've lived here again for about three years, so I've spent over 1/3 of my life in Utah. I am proud to not consider myself a Utah Mormon. :D

Why don't I like Utah Mormons? I think it can be summed up in a few words - self-righteous, holier than thou, hypocrites, close-minded, and ignorant. I don't think that every Mormon who lives in Utah falls into this category, but this is the stereotype I have of them.

I also think it's a lot easier to be a member of the church and live the gospel outside of Utah. Remember the hypocrite thing? It's a lot easier to tell one of your friends who is not LDS that you don't drink because of your religion than it is to tell one of your friends who is LDS.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Katzpur said:
I lived in Utah for 15 years, but Im not exactly sure if Im a Utah Mormon because I never started seriously studying and going to church (although I did go in Utah) till a couple years after I moved to TN. Although I never saw a lot of the stuff people say about Utah mormons. And Im proud to be a Utahn.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
Why don't I like Utah Mormons? I think it can be summed up in a few words - self-righteous, holier than thou, hypocrites, close-minded, and ignorant. I don't think that every Mormon who lives in Utah falls into this category, but this is the stereotype I have of them.
Jeesh! I hope not! I think your stereotype is probably pretty stereotypical. :D Now, just look at all the pressure you've put on me!

I think that it's not so much a holier-than-thou attitude as an attitude of "Well, my ancestors came across the plains. So there!" Like who your ancestors were makes you somebody special. There's a lot of respect and admiration for our pioneer heritage, and sometimes that translates into an "old wealth" mentality. But since more than 2/3 of the Church's membership is now comprised of first-generation converts, I think it's kind of a matter of time before than kind of superior attitude dies out entirely.

I also think it's a lot easier to be a member of the church and live the gospel outside of Utah. Remember the hypocrite thing? It's a lot easier to tell one of your friends who is not LDS that you don't drink because of your religion than it is to tell one of your friends who is LDS.
I agree totally, and I haven't even ever lived outside of Utah. I always wanted to raise my kids out-of-state, because I felt that it would give them a better appreciation for what the Church has to offer them. Also, I think that outside of Utah, if you were to invite a new neighbor over for a barbeque, he'd think, "Oh, how nice!" In Utah, if you were to do that, your motives would immediately be suspect. Sometimes here in Utah, it's really hard to win. I also think that Mormon bashing is actually more prevalent here in Utah than it is in a lot of areas. Since the population of Salt Lake is roughly 50% LDS, you have a real "Us versus Them" mentality. Everything tends to be divided along denominational lines, even things that really shouldn't be. Outside of Utah -- as you mentioned in your example -- you can live the Word of Wisdom and be considered to be a good example of someone who lives his religion. Here, you're just one of those "uptight, stuffed shirt Mormons who doesn't know how to have any fun."

jonny

Katzpur said:
Jeesh! I hope not! I think your stereotype is probably pretty stereotypical. :D Now, just look at all the pressure you've put on me!
I think that there are few who fit the stereotype I mentioned, but when I talk about "Utah Mormons" that's what I'm talking about.

Katzpur said:
I think that it's not so much a holier-than-thou attitude as an attitude of "Well, my ancestors came across the plains. So there!" Like who your ancestors were makes you somebody special. There's a lot of respect and admiration for our pioneer heritage, and sometimes that translates into an "old wealth" mentality. But since more than 2/3 of the Church's membership is now comprised of first-generation converts, I think it's kind of a matter of time before than kind of superior attitude dies out entirely.
Wait... My ancestors coming across the plains doesn't make me better than everyone else?!? I've been lied to my entire life!!! :eek:

My ancestors did come across the plains, but they got out of here pretty quickly. Most of them ended up in Wyoming and Idaho and spread out from there. My family tends to come to Utah for important milestones (marriage, school, etc) and then move on until they retire. :D

I am proud to be a 10th-generation Mormon, but I don't think it makes me better than anyone else who is a member of the church. I think everyone should have some pride in their roots.

Katzpur said:
I agree totally, and I haven't even ever lived outside of Utah. I always wanted to raise my kids out-of-state, because I felt that it would give them a better appreciation for what the Church has to offer them. Also, I think that outside of Utah, if you were to invite a new neighbor over for a barbeque, he'd think, "Oh, how nice!" In Utah, if you were to do that, your motives would immediately be suspect. Sometimes here in Utah, it's really hard to win. I also think that Mormon bashing is actually more prevalent here in Utah than it is in a lot of areas. Since the population of Salt Lake is roughly 50% LDS, you have a real "Us versus Them" mentality. Everything tends to be divided along denominational lines, even things that really shouldn't be. Outside of Utah -- as you mentioned in your example -- you can live the Word of Wisdom and be considered to be a good example of someone who lives his religion. Here, you're just one of those "uptight, stuffed shirt Mormons who doesn't know how to have any fun."
When I first got here the "us vs. them" stuff drove me nuts! I actually quit reading the local papers because I couldn't stand it. I love living here and would love to raise my family here, but the one thing that I can't stand is religion being infused into every single aspect of society. You cannot escape it. I enjoyed growing up in a place where your religion didn't matter. People respected you for who you were and that was it. This is the same reason why I would NEVER live in the Bible Belt. I've heard too many horror stories from Mormons who grew up there. I like it the way it is in Washington and Oregon.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
Wait... My ancestors coming across the plains doesn't make me better than everyone else?!? I've been lied to my entire life!!! :eek:
Maybe I ought to qualify my remarks. Yes, as long as they were in Edward Bunker's handcart company, you're among the elite. :D

jonny

Katzpur said:
Maybe I ought to qualify my remarks. Yes, as long as they were in Edward Bunker's handcart company, you're among the elite. :D
Phew. My faith crumbled for a moment. It's been restored!!!

DeepShadow

White Crow
A variation on what's been said before, courtesy of one of my Utah-dwellling missionary companions:

Outside of Utah, you can tell your kids that because they are LDS they have certain standards that others don't have. When people at school pressure them to get drunk at parties, they remember their standards and it helps them stay strong.

In Utah, being LDS is so commonplace that the people who are doing the pressuring are LDS or are at least extremely familiar with the standards. Staying strong is a little harder when you see these who got drunk bless the sacrament on Sunday.

Not to say that Utah Mormons are all hypocrites; it's strictly a matter of demographics. The higher numbers of LDS in the Utah communities means there are more rebels who can find each other this way. This may partly explain the reputation for hypocrisy.

Another explanation is that in Utah it's culturally appropriate to be LDS, and people who would choose to leave the church in other areas often stay because of the social influences. They become "Jack Mormons," remaining in the church only in name.

SoyLeche

meh...
While I do currently live outside of Utah, it has only been for the last year and a half. I consider myself a Utahn, and I don't think that will ever change. I really don't see much difference between "Utah Mormons" and non-Utah Mormons. I think people have been told that there is a difference, so when they go to Utah they look for it. Usually, when you are looking for something like that, you'll find it. Another idea is that since there is a much higher concentration of Mormons in Utah, there is a larger number of the type of people that fit the stereotype, even if there isn't all that much difference in the percentages. What I mean is, let's say there were 10,000 mormons in Utah and 100 in Virgina, just as an example. If even 1% of all Mormons fit the stereotype of "Utah Mormons", then that would mean that there are 100 in Utah and 1 in Virgina. Virginia overall has a higher population that Utah, so the 1 person gets burried. The 100 in Utah can get together and make the world think that all of the Mormons in Utah are like them.

Anyway, like I said, I haven't seen much difference in attitudes. That could just be because I grew up in it so being a Mormon in Utah is what comes natural to me. I know that I want to go back to Utah to raise my family. We'll see if that happens.

Aqualung

Tasty
Katzpur said:
Yeah, you guys are horrible! Pretty much about 93% or so of all our sermons/lessons/etc are about how much you guys suck. We are constantly encouraged not to go to utah, or even to associate with utah mormons (which is about a third of my ward). In fact, there was talk of us just taking out the utah mormons and shooting them all to keep our ward "pure" of their aweful taint.

Seriously, though, I haven't heard anything about utah mormons. Take that as you will, considering I also haven't been around for long.

Lorraine

Utah Mormons are fine, I just wouldn't want to live there. From my experience, there are some strange members in many areas. My brother lives in Utah, but he was strange before he moved there(LOL). Southern Alberta is a little like Utah, since there is such a high concentration of members.

Lorraine