• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Military and Rape

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
According to this article on CNN, in the past two years, roughly 26,000 troops have reported "unwanted sexual contact" (up from 19,300 in 2010, +~30%).

The worst part is that this is with only ~24% responding, indicating the number of unreported rapes (or otherwise sexual assaults) could be significant.

What is going on with our military? (Or, "What do you think might be going on with the US military?" for non-Americans)

Is there something about military culture that either attracts people that do this, or that makes it seem more acceptable?

Should we do more to ensure soldiers get consensual sexual contact available to them?

I'm already against the US military's occupation of foreign soil -- at least under the pretenses they're there right now -- but how can we even at least expect those occupied to believe they'll be treated with honor and respect if our military can't even treat itself that way?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Comfort women?"

And when has a country we've occupied ever expected to be treated with honor and respect?

The military's all about force and imposing its will on others, and it's largely made up of disinhibited, hormone-filled young men far from home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Men strong. Men kill other men. Mighty warriors. Mighty warriors, powerful. Women like powerful warriors. No like? Too bad.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
According to this article on CNN, in the past two years, roughly 26,000 troops have reported "unwanted sexual contact" (up from 19,300 in 2010, +~30%).

The worst part is that this is with only ~24% responding, indicating the number of unreported rapes (or otherwise sexual assaults) could be significant.

What is going on with our military? (Or, "What do you think might be going on with the US military?" for non-Americans)

Is there something about military culture that either attracts people that do this, or that makes it seem more acceptable?

Should we do more to ensure soldiers get consensual sexual contact available to them?

I'm already against the US military's occupation of foreign soil -- at least under the pretenses they're there right now -- but how can we even at least expect those occupied to believe they'll be treated with honor and respect if our military can't even treat itself that way?

There's a documentary called "The Invisible War" that explores this very serious problem in our military.

It's an accountability problem. Typically, military members are expected to take care of each other and of their own, and to keep rank and file for the sake of securing its citizens. Issues such as hazing, shooting friendlies by accident, and military rape (which happens to both women AND men) are usually swept under the rug because the scandals threaten to dismantle whatever esprit de corps the entire community has.

Unfortunately, rape continues to be a major problem, and until UCMJ can be checked on by the civilian population to ensure it doesn't place itself above the law, military brass will continue to protect its name and its institution rather than the individuals who are serving their country.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There's a documentary called "The Invisible War" that explores this very serious problem in our military.

It's an accountability problem. Typically, military members are expected to take care of each other and of their own, and to keep rank and file for the sake of securing its citizens. Issues such as hazing, shooting friendlies by accident, and military rape (which happens to both women AND men) are usually swept under the rug because the scandals threaten to dismantle whatever esprit de corps the entire community has.

Unfortunately, rape continues to be a major problem, and until UCMJ can be checked on by the civilian population to ensure it doesn't place itself above the law, military brass will continue to protect its name and its institution rather than the individuals who are serving their country.
I recognize that this mindset is probably behind the military's approach, but I simply can't understand it. Esprit de corps can still be maintained while still addressing this crisis.

On the whole, I bet that the employees of Johnson & Johnson were pretty proud to be associated with their company when it responded to the Tylenol poisoning scandal the way it did. I think a similar approach could work here.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I recognize that this mindset is probably behind the military's approach, but I simply can't understand it. Esprit de corps can still be maintained while still addressing this crisis.

On the whole, I bet that the employees of Johnson & Johnson were pretty proud to be associated with their company when it responded to the Tylenol poisoning scandal the way it did. I think a similar approach could work here.

I think so too. I also think the military suffers as a whole from the delusion that their approach really is the morally sound one, and stronger than directly addressing the problem in a transparent manner. It's as if they really think if soldiers and officers were to be court-martialed and stripped of their medals, their ranks, dishonorably discharged, or jailed, that they would be weakened or vulnerable to an attack from a foreign or domestic front.

I'll admit. It's sadly archaic. We could all learn a lesson from your link, Jeff.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

A great book that I think would be relevant here is "What its Like to go to War" by Karl Marlantes. While he does not talk about rape, he does talk the Jungian concept of the shadow self, and how it effects warriors.

Taking the ideas that Marlantes uses, I would assume that the problem is that people just do not know how to deal with the side of themselves that enjoys violence. When it is allowed to come out, such as in war, if often gets out of control. He explains it much better than this though.

Aquitaine

I don't know first-hand about the US Military's internal affairs, but I do know there is an American documentary called "Invisible War" which deals with the issue.

Personally, I think Rape and other atrocities are the result of sending young indoctrinated people who're taught to kill out into a far territory to "look after" themselves and each other. Sadly, I believe that it may be futile to try and "Police" war in general.

Best solution? Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy. :)

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
This reminds me of a FB page I saw It was called something like "Honor for Military-women", something like that.

I clicked on it thinking it was a salute of some sorts towards women in armed forces as it is pretty new in America. Turned out it was a sexist page full of half naked women and sexist remarks about "spreading legs for promotion".

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
This reminds me of a FB page I saw It was called something like "Honor for Military-women", something like that.

I clicked on it thinking it was a salute of some sorts towards women in armed forces as it is pretty new in America. Turned out it was a sexist page full of half naked women and sexist remarks about "spreading legs for promotion".

:cover:

I just can't fathom this mindset... :shrug:

Some people are just so ignorant.