• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updates of the persecution of Baha'is in Iran

Adib

Lover of World Religions
Date set for seven Baha'i leaders' next court session

GENEVA — Iranian authorities have notified the lawyers of seven imprisoned Baha'i leaders that the next session of their trial will be held on 7 February, the Baha'i International Community learned today.

At their first court appearance, held 12 January in Tehran, the charges were read to the seven, who categorically denied the accusations.

"While we know little about what actually took place inside the court, we can now say for certain that these seven innocent Baha'is stood up and firmly rejected all of the charges against them," said Diane Ala'i of the Baha'i International Community.

"We can also say that, based on the international outcry that accompanied the first session of their trial, the world is watching this proceeding closely and that the Iranian government will be held accountable for any injustices," she said.

The charges against the seven, according to accounts in government-sponsored news media, were: espionage, "propaganda activities against the Islamic order," the establishment of an "illegal administration," cooperation with Israel, sending secret documents outside the country, acting against the security of the country, and "corruption on earth."

The seven defendants are Mrs. Fariba Kamalabadi, Mr. Jamaloddin Khanjani, Mr. Afif Naeimi, Mr. Saeid Rezaie, Mrs. Mahvash Sabet, Mr. Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Mr. Vahid Tizfahm.

All but one of the group were arrested on 14 May 2008 at their homes in Tehran. Mrs. Sabet was arrested on 5 March 2008 while in Mashhad. They have been held in Tehran's Evin prison ever since, spending their first year there without formal charges or any access to lawyers.

Date set for seven Baha'i leaders' next court session

arthra

Baha'i
In Sari, four women, three of them sisters, were arrested in mid-December by officers from the Ministry of Intelligence. By mid-January all four had been released but only after each of them posted 50 millian tumans – about US$50,000 – in bail.

The number of Baha’is in detention varies as new people are arrested but others released after posting cash, property deeds, or business licenses as collateral.
The deposit required for temporary release from custody is often exorbitant.

Several cases in Shiraz this year have involved bail as high as the equivalent of $150,000 in property deeds. A woman in Semnan who was arrested during the summer and released two weeks later was required to post bail in the amount of 100 million tumans – approximately $100,000. In a number of instances in other towns, the collateral has amounted to the equivalent of $70,000.

As of 19 January, the cases of at least 238 Baha’is were still active with authorities. These include individuals in prison, those who have been released pending trial, those who have appealed their verdicts, those awaiting notification to begin serving prison sentences, and a few who are serving periods of internal exile. Thousands more have been questioned, threatened, or deprived of pensions, livelihood, or education.

Source:

http://news.bahai.org/human-rights/iran/iran-update/#bahaisinprison

Boethiah

Penguin
I am following this as closely as possible. I pray that Baha'is in Iran achieve rights that they, as humans, deserve.

arthra

Baha'i
Bahá'í World News Service - Bahá’í International Community

The Committee of Human Rights Reporters has published these photographs and identified the individuals as among the 10 Baha’is, including two married couples, arrested on 3 January.

Detention of ten Baha’is leads to fears for other prisoners

27 January 2010
NEW YORK — </SPAN>Concern is growing over the lack of information about the status of 10 Baha'is who were arrested earlier this month in Iran.
In addition to worry about their safety, there are fears that charges against these 10 will be used to create false evidence in court against the seven Baha'i leaders who have been held since 2008 and whose trial is set to resume on 7 February.
"Our concern is that in the absence of any evidence against the seven leaders, the authorities may be attempting to build a case by perhaps forcing these newly arrested Baha'is to 'confess' that they were involved in organizing December's Ashura demonstrations under orders from their 'leadership'," said Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations.
"Any such claim would be absurd, given that the seven leaders have been in prison for the last two years," she said.
Since their arrest on 3 January, statements have been made in Iranian state-sanctioned media that the 10 possessed arms and ammunition in their homes as part of an anti-government plot related to the December demonstrations.
The 10 have virtually disappeared into Iran's detention system, said Ms. Dugal.
While it is not known whether any of these 10 were in fact present at the Ashura demonstrations, any suggestion that they were central to the organization of these events or that they possessed arms to be used against the government is completely without foundation, she said.
"In the three weeks since these Baha'is were detained, their families have had no contact with them, aside from a brief telephone message to one family member on 11 January."
While families have been unable to contact the 10, it has been learned that they have been transferred recently to Gohardasht prison in Karaj.
"A cell mate of some of the Baha'i prisoners was recently released, and this individual informed the families of this transfer," said Ms. Dugal. "We don't know exactly what this means, but we do know that families tried to bring clothes and money to the prisoners. The money was accepted by authorities in Karaj, but not the clothing."
The 10 Baha'is who were arrested on 3 January are Mrs. Leva Khanjani, granddaughter of Jamaloddin Khanjani, one of the seven Baha'i leaders, and her husband, Mr. Babak Mobasher; Mr. Artin Ghazanfari and his wife, Mrs. Jinous Sobhani, former secretary of Nobel laureate and human rights attorney Shirin Ebadi; Mr. Mehran Rowhani and Mr. Farid Rowhani, who are brothers; Mr Payam Fanaian; Mr. Nikav Hoveydaie; and Mr. Ebrahim Shadmehr and his son, Mr. Zavosh Shadmehr.
On 12 January, the formal arraignment of the seven leaders was held in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran.
According to accounts in government-sponsored news media, the seven have been charged with: espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, the establishment of an illegal administration, cooperation with Israel, sending secret documents outside the country, acting against the security of the country, and corruption on earth.
In court, the defendants explicitly denied all of these charges.
Ms. Dugal said the judge has reportedly indicated that the next session of the trial on 7 February will be open and the families will be permitted to attend. The first court appearance was closed to the public.
The seven "leaders" are Mrs. Fariba Kamalabadi, Mr. Jamaloddin Khanjani, Mr. Afif Naeimi, Mr. Saeid Rezaie, Mrs. Mahvash Sabet, Mr. Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Mr. Vahid Tizfahm.
This group of seven and the 10 Baha'is arrested on 3 January are among hundreds of Baha'is who have been detained in the ongoing persecution of Baha'is - a systematic campaign that has increased in severity in the last few years.

arthra

Baha'i
NEW YORK, 31 January (BWNS) – The Baha'i International Community has issued a statement condemning the trial of 16 individuals in Iran yesterday as a "violation of all internationally accepted standards of legal due process."

The statement highlights the lack of proper legal representation for the defendants and the use of unreliable "confessions" in the trial. One of the 16 on trial is a Baha'i.

"The use of coerced 'confessions' and the denial of adequate legal representation reflect the Iranian authorities' growing assault on human rights," said Bani Dugal, principal representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations.

The complete statement follows:

The trial yesterday of 16 individuals in Iran, apparently accused of participating in the Ashura demonstrations on 27 December, stands in violation of all internationally accepted standards of legal due process.

While facts are unavailable to the Baha'i International Community concerning 15 of the defendants in the court proceedings, it can confirm that one individual – identified only as "P.F." in government reports – is a Baha'i.

The show trials in the aftermath of the June 2009 presidential election, at which defendants have been forced to read statements incriminating themselves, have completely discredited "confessions," such as the one purportedly made by "P.F.," both inside and outside of Iran. It is well known that such confessions are obtained while prisoners are under extreme duress, often after being exposed to such appalling tactics as food and sleep deprivation, fake executions, threats against their families, and worse. Rather than accepting responsibility for the turmoil in the country, the Iranian government organizes such show trials in order to lay the blame on innocent citizens and others.

While it is claimed that the court proceedings are open, not even the families of the defendants are notified of the trial of their loved ones.

The person identified as P.F., along with nine other Baha'is who were arrested on 3 January in Tehran, has not been able to contact his family, has been denied access to a lawyer, and was not allowed to choose his own legal representation. The government-appointed lawyer who acted on behalf of P.F. did nothing more than to accept the "confession" of his client and make a pro forma request for leniency.

The Iranian government is well aware that it is a fundamental principle of the Baha'i Faith that its followers strictly refrain from involvement in any partisan political activity, whether local, national, or international. Consequently, the arrest of ten Baha'is on 3 January, a full week after the Ashura demonstrations, and the claims that Baha'is were behind the recent anti-government turmoil have come as a complete surprise to the Baha'i community. These fabricated accusations clearly appear to be not so much about some Baha'is participating in the Ashura demonstrations. They point instead to a scenario which has been concocted by the authorities to justify placing further restrictions on the activities of the Baha'i community. This is but the most recent tactic in the ongoing systematic campaign of persecution that seeks to eliminate the Baha'i community as a viable entity in that country.

We call on governments and fair-minded people throughout the world to join us and raise their voice to protest against the blatant violations of human rights in Iran, of which yesterday's trial is only the most recent example.

For the Baha’i World News Service home page, go to:
http://news.bahai.org

arthra

Baha'i
The second "trial" of the seven Baha'is called the "Yaran" or friends occurred today and the results so far apppear ambiguous.. It was again a closed hearing.. No relatives were allowed to see their family members or admitted to the court room. The Baha'is are still imprisoned but for how long no body knows.. Also the charges are heavy ones in Iran which could carry execution.

The "Yaran" was an appointive body set up to deal with the affairs of the 300,000 Baha'i minority in Iran .. as the Baha'is are not allowed to have normal elective Baha'i Institutions..such as Local Spiirtual Assemblies or a National Spiritual Assembly. At first the government approved of the arrangement as a convenience to them but later they imprisoned the seven Baha'is without trial for the twenty months in the Evin Prison in Teheran..

http://blog.amnestyusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/evin.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39852000/jpg/_39852007_evin_p...

Here is the story:

Baha'i leaders make second court appearance

GENEVA, 7 February (BWNS) – Seven imprisoned Baha'i leaders appeared in court today in Iran for a second session of their trial.

The session was once again closed, and family members were not permitted in the courtroom, the Baha'i International Community has learned.

The hearing, which lasted just over one hour, does not seem to have gone beyond procedural issues. No date was given for any future sessions.

The seven were arrested nearly two years ago and have been held in Tehran's Evin prison since that time, spending the first year there without formal charges or access to lawyers.

After several postponements, their trial officially began on 12 January, when the seven were arraigned in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran.

That session was also closed to the public, but accounts in government-sponsored news media said the defendants were formally charged with espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, the establishment of an illegal administration, cooperation with Israel, sending secret documents outside the country, acting against the security of the country, and corruption on earth.

All the charges have been categorically denied. The defendants are Mrs. Fariba Kamalabadi, Mr. Jamaloddin Khanjani, Mr. Afif Naeimi, Mr. Saeid Rezaie, Mrs. Mahvash Sabet, Mr. Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Mr. Vahid Tizfahm.

arthra

Baha'i
Calls for action as Iranian Baha'i leaders enter third year in prison

NEW YORK, 10 May (BWNS) – As seven Baha'i leaders in Iran enter their third year of imprisonment, new details about the harsh conditions of their incarceration have emerged, renewing calls for their immediate release.

The prisoners are Mrs. Fariba Kamalabadi, Mr. Jamaloddin Khanjani, Mr. Afif Naeimi, Mr. Saeid Rezaie, Mrs. Mahvash Sabet, Mr. Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Mr. Vahid Tizfahm.

"These innocent Baha'is have now been locked up for two full years in Tehran's notorious Evin prison, under conditions which clearly violate international standards," said Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations. "We call on the Iranian authorities to release them now, and ask the international community to join us in this plea. The dictates of justice demand no less."

The prisoners, former members of an informal group known as the Yaran, or "Friends," used to attend to the spiritual and social needs of the several hundred thousand Baha'is of Iran. They have been held in Evin prison since they were arrested in 2008 – six of them on 14 May and one of them two months earlier.

No court hearing was held until 12 January this year when they appeared in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court. Charges including espionage, propaganda activities and "corruption on earth" were all denied. Further appearances took place on 7 February and 12 April.

"In the three trial sessions that have so far taken place, no evidence has been provided whatsoever of wrongdoing – making it all the more obvious that the prisoners are being held only because of their religious belief," said Ms. Dugal.

"If their freedom is not immediately granted, at the very least they should be released on bail. Steps should be taken to ensure that their trial is expedited and conducted fairly, in accordance with international standards," she said.

Severe prison conditions

Friday marks the second anniversary of the group's imprisonment, and details continue to emerge about the severe conditions under which they are being held. It is known, for example, that the two women and five men are confined to two cells which are so small that they restrict adequate movement or rest.

"They have neither beds nor bedding," said Ms. Dugal.

The place has a rancid smell, and they are permitted to have fresh air for only two hours each week. They have a light that if turned off during the day makes it impossible for them to see anything.

"Contact with their loved ones is restricted to one 10-minute telephone call a week, or visits which are mostly conducted through a glass barrier," Ms. Dugal said.

"Such inhumane conditions show no regard for the principles outlined in international agreements for the treatment of prisoners, which provide that no one may be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment," she said.

"The prisoners' own requests for modest improvements to their conditions remain unaddressed, and as a consequence their health is suffering.

"These people are innocent, and there is no reason they should be made to suffer like this," she said.

According to the journalist Roxana Saberi – who shared a cell for three weeks with two of the Baha'i prisoners – the women are confined in a small space. "They roll up a blanket to use as a pillow," she said. "The floor is cement and covered with only a thin, brown carpet, and prisoners often get backaches and bruises from sleeping on it. ... When I was with them, we were allowed into a walled-in cement yard four days a week for 20 to 30 minutes."

International action

The Universal House of Justice – the head of the Baha'i Faith – has called for the worldwide Baha'i community to host special prayer meetings across the globe this Friday, to remember the Baha'is of Iran and all their compatriots who are similarly subject to oppression.

"It grieves our hearts to contemplate the passing of yet another year in which the seven former members of the Yaran remain imprisoned on baseless charges for which the authorities have no evidence whatsoever," the House of Justice has written.

The second anniversary, they say, calls to mind the "multifarious forms of oppression" being faced by Iran's Baha'i community, including "interrogations, summary arrests and imprisonment, deprivation of the means to a livelihood, wanton destruction of property, and the denial of education to Baha'i students."

A collective gesture of solidarity with the imprisoned Baha'i leaders has also been called for by the human rights network United4Iran. They are asking sympathizers worldwide to replicate the dimensions of the cells in Evin prison, and document themselves confined to the space. Photographs and video clips will be then shared on the Internet to bring the international community's attention to the ongoing arbitrary imprisonment being endured by the seven.

Details about the United4Iran campaign can be found here:
http://united4iran.com/2010/05/may-14th-2010-2-years-since-the-arbitrary-arrests-of-the-7-baha’i/

For a longer version of the story that includes more details about Evin prison, go to:
Calls for action as Iranian Baha&#039;i leaders enter third year in prison

For the Baha'i World News Service home page, go to:
Bahá'í World News Service - Bahá'í International Community

arthra

Baha'i
During her time in Iran's Evin prison, journalist Roxana Saberi met a number of fellow women prisoners who gave her strength and inspiration as she faced the interrogations of her keepers and the harsh conditions of the jail itself.
Among these were the two women Baha'i leaders, Fariba Kamalabadi and Mahvash Sabet, with whom Ms. Saberi shared a cell for about three weeks in early 2009.
"Fariba and Mahvash were two of the women prisoners I met in Evin who inspired me the most," said Ms. Saberi in a recent interview. "They showed me what it means to be selfless, to care more about community and beliefs than about oneself."
Ms. Saberi's description of the conditions facing the two Baha'i women offers considerable insight into what it is like to be unjustly incarcerated in Iran today &#8211; a situation experienced not only by Baha'is, but by hundreds if not thousands among the journalists, women's activists, and human rights defenders who are currently held in Iran.
According to Ms. Saberi, the two Baha'i women are confined in a small cell, with two little, metal-covered windows and no beds.
"They must sleep on blankets," said Ms.Saberi. "They have no pillows, either. They roll up a blanket to use as a pillow. They use their chadors as a bed sheet.
"The floor is cement and covered with only a thin, brown carpet, and prisoners often get backaches and bruises from sleeping on it.
"The bathroom is down the hall, and prisoners must get permission to use it," she said.
Exercise periods were also limited. "When I was with them, we were allowed into a walled-in cement yard four days a week for 20 to 30 minutes," she said. "We were allowed to take a shower and wash our clothes by hand on the other three days of the week."
Before she joined them, the two had for a time each been kept in solitary confinement, and they had no access to outside news or books &#8211; save for the Qur'an and a few Islamic prayer books.
"When I was with Mahvash and Fariba, they tried to keep a routine of reading those books that are allowed in prison, watching the state-run TV news, exercising in place in the cell, and praying," Ms. Saberi said.
"I believe they always kept in mind the fact that their behavior in prison could have consequences for the wider Baha'i community. They seemed to feel this was both a responsibility but also a blessing, something that gave them strength to carry on," she said.

Comments from Ms. Saberi adapted from an interview in One Country, the newsletter of the Baha'i International Community, Volume 20, Issue 3.

For more on Roxana Saberi read:

http://www.roxanasaberi.com/

arthra

Baha'i
To emphasize the report above I am re-posting the sections relating to the conditions of the imprisoned Baha'is:

"They have neither beds nor bedding," said Ms. Dugal.

The place has a rancid smell, and they are permitted to have fresh air for only two hours each week.

They have a light that if turned off during the day makes it impossible for them to see anything.

"Contact with their loved ones is restricted to one 10-minute telephone call a week, or visits which are mostly conducted through a glass barrier," Ms. Dugal said.

"Such inhumane conditions show no regard for the principles outlined in international agreements for the treatment of prisoners, which provide that no one may be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment," she said.

"The prisoners' own requests for modest improvements to their conditions remain unaddressed, and as a consequence their health is suffering.

"These people are innocent, and there is no reason they should be made to suffer like this," she said.

According to the journalist Roxana Saberi &#8211; who shared a cell for three weeks with two of the Baha'i prisoners &#8211; the women are confined in a small space. "They roll up a blanket to use as a pillow," she said. "The floor is cement and covered with only a thin, brown carpet, and prisoners often get backaches and bruises from sleeping on it. ... When I was with them, we were allowed into a walled-in cement yard four days a week for 20 to 30 minutes."

Compare these conditions noted above with what you know about most conditions in prisons and consider that these Baha'is have not been convicted of any crime by a Court..

arthra

Baha'i
Fourth court date for imprisoned Iranian Baha'i leaders set for 12 June

GENEVA, 1 June (BWNS) – The seven Baha'i leaders imprisoned for more than two years in Iran are scheduled to make their fourth court appearance on Saturday 12 June, the Baha'i International Community has learned.

The date coincides with the first anniversary of last year's contested presidential election in Iran, as well as a global day of action aimed at calling attention to human rights abuses in the country.

The trial of the seven began on 12 January after they had been incarcerated without charge in Tehran's Evin prison for 20 months.

At the first hearing, held in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran, the Baha'is categorically denied charges of espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, and "corruption on earth," among other allegations.

A second appearance on 7 February was concerned mainly with procedural issues.

The third session on 12 April, which was purportedly a closed hearing, was adjourned after the seven – with the agreement of their attorneys – refused to be party to the proceedings because of the presence of non-judicial personnel.

"To have spectators, including a film crew, in a supposedly closed hearing while denying entry to the defendants' families was unacceptable," said Diane Ala'i, Baha'i representative to the United Nations in Geneva. "There would be no objection if the trial were to be open and conducted in accordance with international standards."

"In the court sessions held so far, no evidence of wrongdoing has been presented. As their lawyers have confirmed, they are completely innocent and are solely being persecuted for their religious belief," said Ms. Ala'i.

"The Iranian government should know that its actions against these innocent citizens are under scrutiny throughout the world," she said.

"Once again we call for their immediate release. Failing that, the seven should – at the very least – be released on bail pending a fair trial."

The seven defendants are Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm. Before their imprisonment, they attended to the spiritual and social needs of Iran's Baha'i community, which numbers more than 300,000. Mrs. Sabet was arrested on 5 March 2008 and the others on 14 May 2008.

There are currently some 38 Baha'is in detention in various cities in Iran.

To read the article online, go to:
Fourth court date for imprisoned Baha’i leaders set for 12 June

arthra

Baha'i
Ongoing trial of Iran's Baha'i leaders highlighted on global day of action

BRUSSELS, Belgium, 13 June (BWNS) - On a global day of action highlighting human rights abuses in Iran, the European Union and the Prime Minister of Canada issued strong statements calling for Iran to respect international law.

In a declaration made on behalf of the European Union, its High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Baroness Catherine Ashton, said, "We call on Iran to respect fair trial rights as enshrined in article 14 of the ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights). Discrimination against religious and ethnic minorities and women are other areas of concern."

"We are disturbed by serious reports of ill-treatment and torture of those detained and imprisoned as well as allegations of forced confessions," the EU declaration said. "The EU will be closely monitoring the ongoing trial of Baha'i leaders in this regard."

"We take this opportunity to reassure the people of Iran that they have not been forgotten: the EU will continue to speak out and to call on the Iranian authorities to respect the rights of their citizens in accordance with the international obligations to which they have committed under the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights and other human rights treaties," the statement concluded.

The EU declaration was issued on Saturday, 12 June - the same day that the seven Baha'i leaders returned to court in Tehran for the start of the fourth session of their trial, which continues today.

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada

The Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, also urged Iran to respect the rights of its Baha'i community and "cease persecuting it, discriminating against it and detaining its members."

"We note the trial of the seven leaders of the Baha'i community was to take place today," said Mr. Harper in a statement marking the one year anniversary of Iran's 2009 presidential election, "and we call on the Iranian regime to ensure that due process is respected."

"Iran has made absolutely no progress in the last year toward addressing the legitimate aspirations of its people. In fact, its regime has been even more repressive. Iran's continued, blatant disregard for the rights of its citizens must end," he said.

Calling upon Iran to uphold its human rights commitments, the Prime Minister urged the Iranian government "to respect diverse social and political groups and their freedom of expression, and to engage these groups in a constructive dialogue that will serve to strengthen the rich fabric of the Iranian nation."

United Kingdom appeal

In London, the government of the United Kingdom also issued a statement saying, "This trial comes at a time when we are remembering the human rights abuses surrounding the elections in Iran a year ago."

"I call on the Iranian Government to ensure, without delay, that the rights of these individuals are fully protected," said the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign Office, Alistair Burt on Friday, 11 June, "that they are given due legal process, including being released on bail and given a fair and transparent trial, in accordance with international standards."

The minister also called on the Iranian government "to cease the harassment of, and to also respect the rights, of many members of minority groups who continue to face arrest and lengthy prison sentences, often on vaguely worded charges of acting against national security."

Worldwide day of action

In more than 80 cities around the world, people took to the streets yesterday to call for an end to human rights abuses in Iran. In South Africa, buses are carrying images of Iranian prisoners of conscience as part of the campaign, organised by human rights group United4Iran.

"This is not about party-politics or calls for punitive action," said one campaigner in Johannesburg, "this is a principled call to respect the human rights of every person."

In Berlin, Germany, a group erected a replica prison cell at the city's historic Brandenburg Gate. A display depicting the seven Baha'i leaders read, "Ideals cannot be locked up. But people with ideals can be. In Iran, these people need your help."

"For more than two years the seven Baha'i leaders have been under arrest without justification," said a supporter. "They are imprisoned only because they are Baha'is. Today it is the Baha'is. Tomorrow it could happen to the Sunnis, Jews, Christians or other minorities."

"I hope we are sending a powerful signal of solidarity to the people in Iran," said another. "The Iranian people should know that our thoughts are with them."

In Brazil, campaigners carrying masks depicting Iran's seven Baha'i leaders gathered in front of the Brazilian National Congress last Wednesday to call for their release.

Congressman Mr. Luiz Couto - a former President of the Commission of Human Rights and Minorities - told the gathering that a person's faith is an intrinsic human right, necessary for the development of an individual and his contribution to society.

Referring to the situation of the Baha'is in Iran at a Plenary Session of Brazil's Chamber of Deputies, another congressman, Deputy Paulo Delgado, said that human rights policies in the democratic world are "inescapable and do not admit exceptions." Mr. Delgado expressed his hope that the international community realizes that the "anguish and suffering of a religious minority" is something that "can happen to any of us."

To view this article and photographs, go to:
Ongoing trial of Iran&#039;s Baha&#039;i leaders highlighted on global day of action

arthra

Baha'i
Trial of seven Iranian Baha'i leaders appears to have ended

NEW YORK, 14 June (BWNS) – The trial of seven Baha'i leaders imprisoned for more than two years in Iran seems to have come to a conclusion after three days of successive court hearings.

The seven appeared in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran on the morning of Saturday, 12 June and returned to Evin Prison shortly after noon.

The Court was reconvened the next day, as well as this morning.

"We can confirm that a court session was held today in Tehran," said Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations, "and it seems from what we have heard that the trial itself has now concluded. But we have no further information at this time."

The defendants are Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm.

Before their imprisonment, they attended to the spiritual and social needs of Iran's Baha'i community, which numbers more than 300,000. They have been held in Evin prison since they were arrested in 2008 – six of them on 14 May and one of them two months earlier.

Their trial began on 12 January this year after they had been incarcerated without charge in Evin prison for 20 months. At the first hearing, the seven categorically denied charges of espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, and "corruption on earth," among other allegations.

A second appearance on 7 February was concerned mainly with procedural issues. The third session on 12 April, which was purportedly a closed hearing, was adjourned after the seven – with the agreement of their attorneys – refused to be party to the proceedings because of the presence of nonjudicial personnel.

To view this article and a photograph, go to:
Trial of seven Iranian Baha&#039;i leaders appears to have ended

http://news.bahai.org/

Boethiah

Penguin
I am unsure of how the Iranian legal system works, but I have done a research into the trial and the situation they face. Given the Iranian constitution and the reason they're there, it is highly they will receive a not guilty sentencing for the "crimes" they've committed. It now seems like a matter of how severe the sentencing will be. It also depends on how much pressure international forces put on Iran.

arthra

Baha'i
780_00_screencaps%20(Small).jpg

Homes demolished in campaign to drive Baha'is out of Iranian village

GENEVA, 28 June (BWNS) &#8211; Homes belonging to some 50 Baha'i families in a remote village in northern Iran have been demolished as part of a long-running campaign to expel them from the region.

The action occurred in Ivel, Mazandaran, when inhabitants &#8211; incited by elements inimical to the Baha'i community &#8211; blocked normal access to the village, while allowing trucks and at least four front-end loaders to begin leveling the houses.

Amateur video, shot on mobile telephones and posted by Iranian human rights activists on the Internet, showed what appeared to be several buildings reduced to rubble as well as fiercely burning fires.

The demolitions are the latest development in an ongoing, officially-sanctioned program in the area which has targeted every activity of the Baha'is.

"They're being forbidden to associate with Muslims, or even offer service to their friends and neighbours," said Diane Ala'i, representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations in Geneva.

"Even the smallest acts of good will &#8211; such as taking flowers to someone who's sick in hospital or donating gifts to an orphanage &#8211; these are being seen as actions against the regime."

Most of the Baha'i homes in Ivel have been unoccupied since their residents fled after previous incidents of violence or as a result of official displacement. In 2007, for example, six of their houses were torched.

"Baha'is have lived in this area for more than 100 years and it once had a large community," said Ms. Ala'i. "But in 1983, a few years after the Iranian revolution, at least 30 families from this and neighboring villages were put on buses and expelled.

"Since then, they have tried to seek legal redress to no avail, while returning in the summer to harvest their crops," she said.

The day after the demolitions took place, a Baha'i man who visited the site with his family to harvest his produce was beaten and insulted by other residents. In the past, those who are trying to drive the Baha'is out have set upon them when they tried to enter the neighborhood to rebuild or renovate their properties.

Persistent government attacks on Baha'is in all the mass media &#8211; along with inaction by local officials to protect them &#8211; have continued to incite hatred against the Baha'is in the region and throughout Iran, said Ms. Alai.

"This latest action shows the degree to which the authorities have completely failed to live up to their responsibilities to protect the Baha'is and their religious freedom," she said.

Members of the Baha'i community have made repeated complaints both before and after the latest incident to local government officials, including to the provincial governor in Sari. In every case, knowledge of the demolitions or the motive behind them was denied.

While reports about the latest action began appearing on various Persian-language websites on Friday, the Baha'i International Community was only able to confirm details of the incident today. Latest reports indicate that 90 percent of the Baha'i homes have now been demolished.

To read this article online and view the photographs, go to:
Homes demolished in campaign to drive Baha'is out of Iranian village

Bahá'Ã* World News Service - Bahá'Ã* International Community

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
The Baha'is of Ivel: Undaunted Spirit

GENEVA, 11 July (BWNS) – Following the demolition of Baha'i homes in the Iranian village of Ivel – reported last week – there is another story that must also be told: that of sympathetic villagers who have commiserated with their Baha'i neighbors over the injustices they have been forced to endure.

It is also the story of an undaunted spirit and a commitment to social good that continues to enable the Baha'is to transcend their prolonged persecution and be active participants in the social and economic development of their village.

Service and persecution

In its earliest days, Ivel was the summer residence for sheep farmers from the surrounding region of Mazandaran. There have been Baha'is in the village for more than a century and a half. Indeed, since the years immediately following the establishment of their Faith in mid-19th century Iran, the Baha'is have comprised about half of Ivel's total population. All the while, they have lived side by side with their Muslim neighbors in comparative harmony.

Unfortunately, however, outside elements strongly inimical to the Faith have periodically sought to stir up the local population against the Baha'i community, resulting in intermittent persecution – ranging from life-threatening to less harsh forms of harassment.

In 1941, for example, lives were imperiled when gangs from outside roused local citizens to attack the Baha'is. The Baha'is were arrested, severely beaten and subjected to extortion; their houses and belongings were plundered. Finally, they were banished to a village seven kilometers away. When the situation eased some months later, the Baha'is returned to their homes and farms.

The lengths to which those holding enmity towards the Baha'is would go are perhaps best summed up in an incident that occurred in the mid-1950s when a member of the newly-established "Hojjatieh" society arrived in Ivel. Hojjatieh – a semi-clandestine traditionalist Shia organization – was founded on the premise that the most immediate threat to Islam was the "heresy" of the Baha'i Faith, which had to be eliminated.

When this individual proved unsuccessful in his attempts to drive a wedge between the Muslims and the Baha'is, he endeavoured to prevent their cows from grazing in the same pasture, on the basis that the Baha'i cows were "unclean".

For a few days, the cattle belonging to the Baha'is were confined to their barns while those of the Muslims went to graze. The Baha'is repeatedly referred the matter to the village head, appealing for compassion to be shown to the animals. Consequently, a decision was made to have the cows enter the pasture from opposite sides, so as to respect the decree. This did not accord with the natural instincts of the livestock, who continued to graze together.

Contribution to social progress

Throughout the years, notwithstanding the efforts to repress them, the Baha'is have actively contributed to the betterment of life in their village. In addition to the role they played in the area's agriculture, they established a school at which local children, regardless of their religion, were educated. By 1946, when the Iranian government had begun to organize rural schools and assumed responsibility for the one in the village, Ivel's school extended to six elementary level classes in which some 120 pupils from Ivel and seven other nearby villages were receiving general education.

In 1961, in another example of service to their community, the Baha'is completed a bath house for use by the villagers, which included modifications to the local reservoir and the introduction of modernizations to improve the facility's levels of hygiene and the general health of the people.

Escalation of attacks

Following Iran's Islamic revolution in 1979, the situation for Baha'is in Ivel deteriorated. Land was confiscated and attempts to regain it proved unsuccessful. Baha'is were denied access to health clinics and other institutions that they themselves had helped establish. Muslim children were encouraged by their teacher to harm their Baha'i classmates. When parents protested, the teacher found other means to persecute his Baha'i pupils, including failing them in their exams.

In June 1983, the Baha'is were forced out of their homes and transported by bus to the nearest major city, Sari. When they arrived, the authorities made them go back. Returning to Ivel, they were locked into a local mosque. More than 130 of them – including children and the elderly – were held captive for three days without food and water. When pressure to make them recant their faith failed, they were allowed to return home. However, that same night, they were attacked by villagers. A few were taken off by the mob, others were injured, and more were forced to hide in a nearby forest.

Since that time, many of the Ivel Baha'is have resided nearby and return to the village only in the summer to plant and harvest their crops and tend to their properties. According to Natoli Derakhshan, a Baha'i from Ivel who was interviewed recently by the Persian-language Radio Farda, "Each time or each year when they wanted to go there they had to obtain permits from the Justice Administration to be allowed to stay in their own homes for two or three days."

In the past three years, the Baha'i International Community has monitored an increase in efforts to put pressure on the Baha'is of Ivel to leave the region altogether. "Their empty homes have been burned, Baha'is have been subjected to verbal and physical attacks, and the 100-year old Baha'i cemetery was confiscated and sold for conversion into residential property," said Diane Ala'i, representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations in Geneva.

"Numerous complaints have been filed at all levels but, in general, the Baha'is are only met with indifference. The authorities say that there's little they can do in the face of the opposition Baha'is face from the local residents," she said. "In every case, knowledge of the demolitions or the motive behind them was denied by local government officials."

"What we are witnessing in Ivel, and the surrounding region of Mazandaran, is part of a wider campaign to humiliate and dishearten all the Baha'is and prevent them from practicing their faith in any way whatsoever," said Ms. Ala'i. "The government has certainly demonstrated thus far that if it is not behind it, it is either unwilling to stop it or incapable of doing so."

In recent weeks when Mr. Derakhshan heard stories about the imminent destruction of the Baha'i homes in the village, he went with other Baha'is to various officials to find out if the rumors were true. "We were told not to worry and that there was not such a possibility; we believed them," he told Radio Farda.

"We do not know and cannot say that it was ordered by someone," he said. "All we know is that unfortunately everything has been completely destroyed."

Local and international support

There are, however, many villagers in Ivel who are deeply troubled by these developments. In an interview with the Rooz Online website, Mr. Derakhshan paid tribute to those who have expressed dismay and concern at the ill-treatment of their Baha'i neighbors: "These days many of our Muslim folks sat together with us with tearful eyes, and apologized to us, and held our hands! We are thankful to them all."

The news from Ivel has also received widespread attention from further afield – in the world's news media and online news services, including a host of Persian language outlets.

Among the English language reports, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty ran a story on 29 June with the headline, "Baha'i Houses Demolished In Iran". It also carried video of the incident which had been obtained by Human Rights Activists of Iran.

On 29 June, the National Review Online published an article under the headline "Regime Razes Bahai Homes in Iran."

A feature on the BBC website, titled "Iran's Bahai community fear rise in persecution", began: "First there are the images of wooden beams on fire. Then buildings come into view, some without windows and doors, others reduced to rubble. The shaky mobile phone footage posted on YouTube by Iranian human rights activists shows scenes of destruction filmed secretly from inside a car...The reports from Ivel residents say that by June 22, almost 50 houses belonging to Bahais had been flattened."

"Several of these websites have offered places for comments by readers," said Ms. Alai. "After enduring so much persecution for so long, we are certain that the Baha'is of Ivel appreciate the support of people from all over the world – including many sympathetic Iranian citizens – who have taken the time to express their outrage over this latest incident."

To read the article online and view photographs, go to:
The Baha&#039;is of Ivel: Undaunted spirit

arthra

Baha'i
Detention extended for seven Iranian Baha'i leaders

GENEVA, 5 August (BWNS) – The imprisonment of seven Baha'i leaders in Iran has been extended for a further two months, the Baha'i International Community has learned.

The trial of the seven concluded on 14 June. No verdict has yet been given.

"These innocent Baha'is have now been held for more than two years under a series of successive orders for their 'temporary' detention, which by law must not exceed two months," said Diane Ala'i, representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations in Geneva.

On 24 July, two days after the most recent two-month prison term concluded, the defense attorneys for the seven once again issued a formal request that the prisoners be released on bail, as permitted under Iranian law.

Since then, the judge presiding over the case has told the prisoners that their detention had once again been extended for two months.

The attorneys have now submitted a written objection to the extension, said Ms. Alai.

"There is no legal basis whatsoever to refuse the request that the defendants be released on bail," she said.

The seven prisoners are Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm. They categorically deny charges of espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, and "corruption on earth," among other allegations.

Before their incarceration, the seven attended to the spiritual and social needs of Iran's Baha'i community, which numbers more than 300,000. They have been held in Tehran's notorious Evin prison since they were arrested in 2008 - six of them on 14 May and one of them two months earlier.

Their trial consisted of six brief court appearances which began on 12 January after they had been imprisoned without charge for 20 months, during which time they were allowed barely one hour's access to their legal counsel.

"That these people – held purely for their religious beliefs – have now entered the third year of their so-called 'temporary' incarceration under such inhumane conditions constitutes a deplorable violation of their human rights," said Ms. Ala'i.

"The Iranian government must know that its actions are under close international scrutiny and that it is held wholly responsible for this terrible injustice," she said "Once again, we call upon the authorities in Iran to take immediate action to release them."

To read this article online and view a photograph, go to:
Detention extended for seven Iranian Baha&#039;i leaders

arthra

Baha'i
Iran sentences Baha'i aide to Nobel laureate to 2 years in jail

By the CNN Wire staff

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Jinous Sobhani worked as a secretary to Shirin Ebadi's human rights center
  • She was arrested with other Baha'is after anti-government protests
  • Baha'i representatives say the accusations are false