• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upanishads VS Bhagavath Gita

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Have you read the Adhyathma Ramayan it was given to Parvati by the lord Shiva. This sacred text is taken from the Brahmanda Purana. This scripture is a dialogue between Lord Shiva and Divine Mother. This book perfectly harmonizes devotion and Advaita Vedanta while telling the story of the Lord Rama.

Is a translation available?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Have you read the Adhyathma Ramayan it was given to Parvati by the lord Shiva. This sacred text is taken from the Brahmanda Purana. The scripture is a dialogue between Lord Shiva and Divine Mother. The Adhyathma Ramayan perfectly harmonizes devotion and Advaita Vedanta while telling the story of the Lord Rama.

I dont even know that name.Thanks for informing.

Is a translation available?

I did not find one on the Internet.Probably there is one commentary by Swami Tapasyananda

I found one the difference between Valmiki Ramayana and Vyasa(Adhyamatha) Ramayana here.

Interestingly in the Valmiki's works(Ramayana and Maha Ramayana) Ram is depicted as a perfect human being or student.The Vyasa Ramayana depicts him as the Lord.

godrealized

Man who Realized God
Anti-religion... numerous half baked theories exist on Internet by so-called preachers of religion and spirituality! Mahavira... the 24th Tirthankara of Jainism rightly said, do not preach until you have become a Mahavira... an enlightened one! Mahavira was perfectly right. Most interpretations of sacred scriptures available world over today are flawed! The reason is apparent!

If a farmer father gives birth to a child and the child grows and becomes president of the nation... then do we ever say one is inferior to other... or the other is superior to one! When mankind was in its nascent stages the wisdom contained in Vedas (also called Hinduism revelations) were initially revealed to some enlightened sages and saints of that era!

During times of Vedas human beings had not yet evolved fully! It was time of rituals... sacrifices! During times of Vedas whatever was contained in Vedas was applicable! But in present times... the modern scientific age we do not further need rituals or sacrifices! Every sacred scripture needs to be interpreted in light of scientific advancements as of date!

As the contents of voluminous Vedas was incomprehensible to masses... with grace of God Almighty... the doctrine of Bhagavad Gita was put forward by Lord Krishna to humanity! Whatever is needed by human beings to reach stage of enlightenment... all is contained in Bhagavad Gita! The sacred Bhagavad Gita is not devoid of any jnana wisdom!

It is as if Lord Krishna put wisdom of Vedas in a grinder and churned out essence in form of Vedanta... Bhagavad Gita! I again repeat... in present times one need not read Vedas to reach God Almighty... gain enlightenment in present life time... reach the stage of Nirvikalpa samadhi... stage of absolute nothingness!

Upanishads primarily are independent treatises from learned sages and saints of that era! Whatever is contained in Upanishads... is also contained in Bhagavad Gita but not vice versa! Whatever the perception of sages... accordingly the scriptural commentary! None of the Upanishads is wrong. But the complete wisdom is contained in Bhagavad Gita only!

Metempsychosis

As the contents of voluminous Vedas was incomprehensible to masses... with grace of God Almighty... the doctrine of Bhagavad Gita was put forward by Lord Krishna to humanity! Whatever is needed by human beings to reach stage of enlightenment... all is contained in Bhagavad Gita! The sacred Bhagavad Gita is not devoid of any jnana wisdom!

I am not saying BG is worthless,but I feel some sects use BG to project Bhakti Yoga (and Vishnu) to be superior over Jnana Yoga(and other gods like Shiva).They rarely use any information from the Upanishads.IMHO,none of those yogas are superior to one another.

godrealized

Man who Realized God
Anti-religion... you are taking it literally and personally! What I meant was... contents of Bhagavad Gita... the teachings of Bhagavad Gita suffice in themselves! Apart from Bhagavad Gita one need not refer to any other scripture as Bhagavad Gita is devoid of any impurity! In the maze of loads of scriptures what I only want to say was... present earthly sojourn of 70 to 80 years is insufficient to gain wisdom contained in Bhagavad Gita... whence the time for other scriptures!

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Anti-religion... you are taking it literally and personally! What I meant was... contents of Bhagavad Gita... the teachings of Bhagavad Gita suffice in themselves! Apart from Bhagavad Gita one need not refer to any other scripture as Bhagavad Gita is devoid of any impurity! In the maze of loads of scriptures what I only want to say was... present earthly sojourn of 70 to 80 years is insufficient to gain wisdom contained in Bhagavad Gita... whence the time for other scriptures!

Uh...

"14. From food come forth beings, and from rain food is produced; from sacrifice arises rain, and sacrifice is born of action."

This isn't scientifically true. Rain is not connected at all with yagna. (Translated as "action" in this one.)

I love the Bhagavad-Gita; I call it Srimad, for sure! But, let's face it: this is one of a couple of things that are simply not true.

Satsangi

Uh...

"14. From food come forth beings, and from rain food is produced; from sacrifice arises rain, and sacrifice is born of action."

This isn't scientifically true. Rain is not connected at all with yagna. (Translated as "action" in this one.)

I love the Bhagavad-Gita; I call it Srimad, for sure! But, let's face it: this is one of a couple of things that are simply not true.

Science is limited too- what is "scientific today" can change tomorrow. Believe it or not, but even today in India when there is famine, people conduct Yajnas for rain....science and faith do not always match. Faith begins where the mind ends. Many of us also have experienced "miracles" of faith which are not explained by science.

Regards,

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Science is limited too- what is "scientific today" can change tomorrow. Believe it or not, but even today in India when there is famine, people conduct Yajnas for rain....science and faith do not always match. Faith begins where the mind ends. Many of us also have experienced "miracles" of faith which are not explained by science.

Regards,

Science is limited to the laws of the Material world. But it works very well within those limitations. What is science today does change tomorrow, but not in the sense that the "old" science is completely discarded; it's rewritten. Newton's laws still apply, but what was found to be somewhat inaccurate (different from "wrong") was rewritten to fit that which was realized later. Same thing happening now with Quantum Theory (which is, ironically, based on the Vedas, apparently. lol)

I'm not surprised at all that people conduct Yagnas for rain when there's famine. That's fine. People here in the US pray for similar things, for certain. (California is currently in a drought; I have no doubt whatsoever that many people are praying for rain, and I suspect some Hindu families are performing Yagnas to Indra.) But don't expect me to participate.

Satsangi

Science is limited to the laws of the Material world. But it works very well within those limitations. What is science today does change tomorrow, but not in the sense that the "old" science is completely discarded; it's rewritten. Newton's laws still apply, but what was found to be somewhat inaccurate (different from "wrong") was rewritten to fit that which was realized later. Same thing happening now with Quantum Theory (which is, ironically, based on the Vedas, apparently. lol)

I'm not surprised at all that people conduct Yagnas for rain when there's famine. That's fine. People here in the US pray for similar things, for certain. (California is currently in a drought; I have no doubt whatsoever that many people are praying for rain, and I suspect some Hindu families are performing Yagnas to Indra.) But don't expect me to participate.

In the field of medicine, what was thought to be true yesterday is FALSE today. Even the "laws" of science are not 100%. The analogy of praying or Yajna for rain can be compared to doing Sadhana for God or enlightenment. Both are not "scientifically proven facts" and never will be. Still everyone pursues them.....and rightly so.

Regards,

Riverwolf

Premium Member
In the field of medicine, what was thought to be true yesterday is FALSE today.

Depends on the "scientist" who proposed the so-called "medicine."

Even the "laws" of science are not 100%.
Nothing is. But I'll trust modern science over ancient science. The ancient scientists knew much, don't get me wrong; what I've seen (very little) of early Vedic astrology is amazing.

The analogy of praying or Yajna for rain can be compared to doing Sadhana for God or enlightenment. Both are not "scientifically proven facts" and never will be. Still everyone pursues them.....and rightly so.

Regards,
I don't, and I fail to see the point, as it's still praying for something which is, though less selfish, still material. (Not to mention I don't believe it's even effective: rains will eventually come in drought; famines will eventually be satiated, and it will happen whether or not people are praying or performing yagna.)

When I pray or perform a simple (mostly improvised) ritual, it's for God's sake alone, or for inner strength like the wisdom to know what's right (somewhat selfish, I know.) I don't pray for the drought to end because I know it eventually will end, anyway.

The only time such a prayer would be appropriate, in my opinion, is when it's used as a form of expression, so an emotion or feeling doesn't get suppressed, which is mentally unhealthy at best and dangerous at worst.

Now, as an analogy, it could work, but the text REALLY has to be stretched, and it doesn't really fit the discussion at hand.

Metempsychosis

Nothing is. But I'll trust modern science over ancient science. The ancient scientists knew much, don't get me wrong; what I've seen (very little) of early Vedic astrology is amazing.

Vedic astrology made me gave up atheism.I had to concede the defeat of atheism.:)

Metempsychosis

it said something good about you to feel proud i guess. :D

No,it is telling the truth,unfortunately it cannot come 100% right :D...IMHO,among the theories atheism has the lowest chance of coming out true .:eek:.Unfortunately,abrahamic religions think astrology to be Satanic..

Last edited by a moderator:

nameless

The Creator
No,it is telling the truth,unfortunately it cannot come 100% right :D...IMHO,among the theories atheism has the lowest chance of coming out true .:eek:

i was just joking !
Definitely these are pure logical, had spent lot effort reading online stuffs on these in earlier days.

Satsangi

I don't, and I fail to see the point, as it's still praying for something which is, though less selfish, still material. (Not to mention I don't believe it's even effective: rains will eventually come in drought; famines will eventually be satiated, and it will happen whether or not people are praying or performing yagna.)

When I pray or perform a simple (mostly improvised) ritual, it's for God's sake alone, or for inner strength like the wisdom to know what's right (somewhat selfish, I know.) I don't pray for the drought to end because I know it eventually will end, anyway.

The only time such a prayer would be appropriate, in my opinion, is when it's used as a form of expression, so an emotion or feeling doesn't get suppressed, which is mentally unhealthy at best and dangerous at worst.

Now, as an analogy, it could work, but the text REALLY has to be stretched, and it doesn't really fit the discussion at hand.

About the medicine and scientist- I am talking about the "allopathy" the western medicine and its researches published in reputed scientific journals.

Believe it or not, the modern medicine does not have cure for may chronic illnesses which apparently get cured by either Ayurveda or Homeopathy.

You pray for inner strength because u have faith in God and thats great. Similarly, rain is the life force for many; otherwise they are dead or hungry- as simple as that. Hence, they exercise their faith (may sound stupid from where we stand though.)

Regards,

Riverwolf

Premium Member
About the medicine and scientist- I am talking about the "allopathy" the western medicine and its researches published in reputed scientific journals.

Believe it or not, the modern medicine does not have cure for may chronic illnesses which apparently get cured by either Ayurveda or Homeopathy.

Any reputable scientist would be aware of that, and any good doctor would recommend natural medicines.

You pray for inner strength because u have faith in God and thats great. Similarly, rain is the life force for many; otherwise they are dead or hungry- as simple as that. Hence, they exercise their faith (may sound stupid from where we stand though.)

Regards,

I pray for inner strength not from an external divine force. I follow Advaita.

I do believe I said it is okay to pray for rain. They aren't "lesser" for doing so; on the contrary. I'd say a person who, with full love and devotion, prays for rain is a better bhakta than a person who prays for things like inner strength for selfish motives.