• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Consciousness

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Does the universe have consciousness?

I have my doubts that the physical Universe itself has Consciousness, but there is something that pervades all things, omnipresent, it just is not "conscious," imo.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The universe has some minimal consciousness through us. I wouldn't call it universal, though, since it seems to be limited to one small planet orbiting one small star.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The universe has some minimal consciousness through us. I wouldn't call it universal, though, since it seems to be limited to one small planet orbiting one small star.
What is us? So you're claiming the universe has minimal consciousness, or humans and animals have some consciousness? Or both?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, unless you can prove you are separated from the universe

A cell in my stomach can emit hydrochloric acid, but I don't.

An ant in a colony can perceive a threat, but that doesn't mean the colony does.

Not all properties translate from individual to communal.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I have my doubts that the physical Universe itself has Consciousness, but there is something that pervades all things, omnipresent, it just is not "conscious," imo.
You're not conscious and part of the universe?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What is us? So you're claiming the universe has minimal consciousness, or humans and animals have some consciousness? Or both?

Humans and some animals are conscious. That doesn't mean that the universe as a whole is conscious.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
A cell in my stomach can emit hydrochloric acid, but I don't.

An ant in a colony can perceive a threat, but that doesn't mean the colony does.

Not all properties translate from individual to communal.
So you're not fully conscious of yourself?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So the flea on a dogs back is part of the dog?

I repeat
The question was, does the universe have consciousness not do i have consciousness.
The two can't be separated, they are interdependent and only dualistic thinking would continue to hold such a viewpoint

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, unless you can prove you are separated from the universe

So a very small part (or a few small parts) of the universe have consciousness, but once you move away from those, there isn't consciousness.

So, is the whole conscious or not? That is a matter of definition, but I would say not.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The two can't be separated, they are interdependent and only dualistic thinking would continue to hold such a viewpoint

I disagree. The vast majority of the universe is non-conscious. Consciousness, as far as we can tell only exists in one vanishingly small part of the universe. To say that the whole is conscious because of one small part seems, well, unusual.