• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Body

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What does the form look like?

A big volume with a hundred billion or so galaxies, each with about 2 or 3 or 4 hundred billion stars and a lot of space between. Other than that, it has volume so it must have form, but to ask what form it takes doesn't really make sense from the inside.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What does the form look like?

Why do you think a visual description is the most relevant?

We don't know the large scale shape of the universe (whether you want spatial cross sections of the whole four dimensional structure). But, locally, space seems to be very close to flat except for effects of gravity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And what is it's form?

What do you mean by the term 'form'? if you are using Aristotelian logic, you will have serious difficulty with modern science.

Are you expecting the shape of the universe to be three dimensional?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
A big volume with a hundred billion or so galaxies, each with about 2 or 3 or 4 hundred billion stars and a lot of space between. Other than that, it has volume so it must have form, but to ask what form it takes doesn't really make sense from the inside.
so a form is only understood by something outside? Do you allow people to define, form your being?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What do you mean by the term 'form'? if you are using Aristotelian logic, you will have serious difficulty with modern science.

Are you expecting the shape of the universe to be three dimensional?
I have no expectations of a form. Quite the contrary in a dynamic state but still physical

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no expectations of a form. Quite the contrary in a dynamic state but still physical

Well, there are a number of different characteristics that could be considered the 'form' of the universe. Topological properties, metric properties, whether you use three dimensional cross sections or the full four dimensional structure, etc.

ChristineM

Premium Member
so a form is only understood by something outside? Do you allow people to define, form your being?

People are not inside me.

Does a stomach microbe know the form of the body it inhabits?

If you were blindfolded and led into a small room in a large building the the blindfold removed and you were asked what form the building takes, could you honestly and accurately answer?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

If you were blindfolded and led into a small room in a large building the the blindfold removed and you were asked what form the building takes, could you honestly and accurately answer?

To be fair, it *is* possible to determine aspects like topological or metric structure from 'inside' if you have free range. If not, it is considerably more difficult.

For the universe, we can only tell what things look like 'locally': within the nearest 13 billion light years or so, with some guesses past that.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Lol I never made any claim of people inside you but some carry parasites that alter their being.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
To be fair, it *is* possible to determine aspects like topological or metric structure from 'inside' if you have free range. If not, it is considerably more difficult.

For the universe, we can only tell what things look like 'locally': within the nearest 13 billion light years or so, with some guesses past that.
that is only possible through contrast and the illusion of separateness

ChristineM

Premium Member
Lol I never made any claim of people inside you but some carry parasites that alter their being
[/QUOTE]

Ok thats my misreading, dyslexia does that sometimes, sorry

But do the parasites know what the form looks like? (Which is ehat you asked not can they alter the form)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why do you think a visual description is the most relevant?

We don't know the large scale shape of the universe (whether you want spatial cross sections of the whole four dimensional structure). But, locally, space seems to be very close to flat except for effects of gravity.
Because we know there is a mind but it really doesn't have a firm but we know how it behaves