• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Church of God

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
ok so i'm a christian that believes in keeping the sabbath and food laws..... i most identify with the united church of God as far as christian denominations go. do any of you think that is close to messianic judaism? they keep the feast days also. just wondering if it's basically the same thing except the church of God consider themselves christians.

Fundamental Beliefs > United Church of God, an International Association.

this is the doctrine. is this close to what the messianic jews believe. i have seen messianics attend the services before.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
... do any of you think that is close to messianic judaism? ...

Not at all. Seems just like any other Christianity to me, TBH. Observing some laws in a similar fashion as Jews does not make this Judaism, sorry.

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
Not at all. Seems just like any other Christianity to me, TBH. Observing some laws in a similar fashion as Jews does not make this Judaism, sorry.

you don't have to say sorry... i was just wondering if it was similar.... because i know messianic that have went to the service...

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Well, keep in mind that there are also 'Hebrew Christians' (their term for themselves, not mine) who alternately identify themselves as Messianic Jews. As I have explained on other threads there, while they are also Jews (by birth at least) they have a very different mindset than those who self-identify as M.J. and are more likely to be found in gentile churches. Not that I've never done this, I remember a period where I attended a 7th Day Adventist church quite a bit. Had some interesting encounters and experiences, to say the least. Interesting to see how people without oral Torah make of mitzvot. I remember one family, instead of a Mezuza, wrote the Shema actually ON the doorposts of their house. Not making fun, mind you, just to note the creativeness I saw. In the end I had too many issues with prayer directed at Yeshua in such gentile churches and ceased visiting them. I am not against them, not at all, it's just that as a Jew I can't really fellowship with them.