• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarians

Fluffy

A fool
What is the difference between straightforward Unitarians and the extra crunchy UU variety :D?

You were right Maize there are no UU congregations in the UK that I can find so I'll have to look for a Unitarian Church to go to but I'd need to know more about them first :).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
What is the difference between straightforward Unitarians and the extra crunchy UU variety :D?

You were right Maize there are no UU congregations in the UK that I can find so I'll have to look for a Unitarian Church to go to but I'd need to know more about them first :).
Ah Grasshopper, that was my problem when I wanted to try U.U.:biglaugh:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Briefly, Unitarians tend to hold to more of the Christian belief system, mainly only questioning the doctrine of the Trinity. They will generally be more traditional in the Christian-sense and are considered a Christian denomination. UUs have moved away from the Christian tradition and are not a Christian denomination and we incorporate religious ideas from all religions an from the secular as well, into our services and beliefs.

From the Overview:

History
Traditionally, Unitarianism was a heretical doctrine emerging out of Christianity that rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. Although this belief was rejected by orthodox Christians, it did have a following in Transylvania in the sixteenth century. Michael Servetus, a Spanish Unitarian, was burned at the stake in Geneva, Switzerland in 1553 on the orders of John Calvin. In the United States, Unitarian churches were formed after a split in the Congregationalist church in New England. Each small town in the region typically had a congregationalist church at the town square. After the split, some of those churches remained congregationalist, while others became Unitarian.

Universalism was traditionally a doctrine emerging out of Christianity that rejected the doctrine of hell; instead, it believed that salvation was universal.

These two religious bodies always had a great deal of commonality and communication between them, and were often associated in the public eye. One observation made years ago about Unitarianism and Universalism, long before their merger, was that (paraphrase) "Universalists believe that God is too good to condemn man, while Unitarians believe that man is too good to be condemned by God."

Both Unitarianism and Universalism evolved over time into inclusive, tolerant religions, without strict dogmas. In 1961, American Unitarian Association (AUA) merged with the Universalist Church of America (UCA), thus forming the Unitarian Universalist Association.

Does that help? I will try to be more specific if need be.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Fluffy said:

If you try this site you will find a link to uu churches in the UK. Hope this is some help.
http://www.unitarian.org.uk/

Terry_______________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
Unfortunately no UU churches, only Unitarian Churches. The thing that attracts me is the non-denominational aspect... something which Unitarian Churches lack.

Well, it's not that we're non-denominational - we're an entirely different religion. Yes, we have a Judeo-Christian background and recognize that, but we no longer consider ourselves to be Christians as an organization or a Christian denomination. But individuals may identify as Christian.

Fluffy

A fool
Well, it's not that we're non-denominational - we're an entirely different religion. Yes, we have a Judeo-Christian background and recognize that, but we no longer consider ourselves to be Christians as an organization or a Christian denomination. But individuals may identify as Christian.
Yeah that is the kind of thing I meant, but I lacked the words :). The main thing that prevents me from going to other places of worship is that I do not wish to mix with people who are of identical beliefs to me or only vary slightly. I want to be part of a community which shares some ideals, nicely summed up in the essentials of UU, but which does not ascribe to a specific religious denomination outside of itself. I want to be part of a place where a Muslim, a Jew and a Heathen would feel equally comfortable praying and worshipping and learning around me as I would around them.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
I want to be part of a place where a Muslim, a Jew and a Heathen would feel equally comfortable praying and worshipping and learning around me as I would around them.

Yeah.. you might try to find some sort of Interfaith church or community in your area.

Davidium

Well, it's not that we're non-denominational - we're an entirely different religion.
Maize,

I know what you are saying, but she's got a point. Conrad Wright (UU Historian and govenance guru) claims that UU is not a denomination at all... that we are a completely different kind of structure that many people, in and out of UU, confuse with a denomination. In fact, we are an association of congregations. Denomination implies a kind of heirarchy that is not part of our tradition. The UUA is not above the autonomous, interdependent congregations in any way... if anything, it is the other way around.

To most people, this is a pretty esoteric point, but it is essential to realize that one of the things that makes UU different is that we are organized very differently than many other churches. And the only reason I am thinking of it is that I am up at my seminary right now taking a course on UU Polity (structure and governance). :) Otherwise, I probably wouldnt be worried about it either!

Yours in faith,

David

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Davidium said:
To most people, this is a pretty esoteric point, but it is essential to realize that one of the things that makes UU different is that we are organized very differently than many other churches.

I get what you're saying and see your point, we are very differently organized, which is part of the reason why I try to stay away from the 'denomination, non-denominational' labels altogether. To me it implies being one part of a greater whole religion. We are the whole religion and for someone to lump us into a group of non-denominationalist churches is very inaccurate.

But you made me think, thanks. :) I could use a course in "UU Polity for dummies." I know it shouldn't be, but it is largely uninteresting to me.

Davidium

Maize,

You know, Polity should be uninteresting to most people... :) But perhaps I find it facinating right now, because I am here in Chicago with a dynamic group of UU ministers in training, engaging on the issues, with a wonderfully engaging instructor, in a setting that is so deeply tied into our movement's history. I mean, the halls I am walking this month were trod by James Luther Adams. The UU church across the street (which the seminary uses) was a part of the underground railroad. The last time I was in this particular classroom to "sit in" on a class it was taught by Thandeka. Rev. David Baumbaugh, another huge name in our movement, will be conducting my preaching class in two weeks...

Old stone and passionate students... I guess what I am saying if there was ever a setting that could make you passionate about church governance, at least for a little while, this is it.

Yours in Faith,

David

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Davidium said:
Old stone and passionate students... I guess what I am saying if there was ever a setting that could make you passionate about church governance, at least for a little while, this is it.
I'm a little envious, David! I'm glad you're having a wonderful, stimulation experience! :)

Nozem

I was interested in the debate concerning the lack of Unitarian Universalists in the UK; I live in the city of Brighton and Hove, on the south coast of England, and count myself as a Unitarian Universalist, but the fact that Unitarians here seem reluctant to adopt the 'Universalist' title is noticeable. The first time I heard the term 'Universalist' as a self definition was from a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers) rather than a Unitarian.

Smoke

Done here.
Fluffy said:
Unfortunately no UU churches, only Unitarian Churches. The thing that attracts me is the non-denominational aspect... something which Unitarian Churches lack.
Actually, the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches doesn't sound that far from the Unitarian Universalist Association:
The Unitarian movement arose and evolved in the Christian tradition. Today, most Unitarians in Britain are happy to acknowledge this living relationship in some way. Many are glad to call themselves Free or liberal Christians.

It is recognised, though, that there are many people who find difficulty with the Jewish-Christian tradition. Unitarians are concerned to provide fellowship and worship which, while respecting the liberal Christian tradition, will have meaning for them too. Among Unitarians, there are those who find the focus of their faith elsewhere than in liberal Christianity, for example in religious humanism or Creation Spirituality.

Smoke

Done here.
Nozem said:
I was interested in the debate concerning the lack of Unitarian Universalists in the UK; I live in the city of Brighton and Hove, on the south coast of England, and count myself as a Unitarian Universalist, but the fact that Unitarians here seem reluctant to adopt the 'Universalist' title is noticeable.
There is at least one congregation that has adopted it:
Salisbury Unitarian Universalists, meeting at the United Reform Church, Fisherton Street, Salisbury

Tel: (01722) 335199

Nozem said:
The first time I heard the term 'Universalist' as a self definition was from a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers) rather than a Unitarian.
The Fellowship of Universalist Friends isn't a denomination, but has an interesting website: http://www.universalistfriends.org/

Nozem

Well spotted, I had forgotten that Salisbury has Unitarian Universalists - I think that they are quite a small group, they meet monthly rather than each Sunday. Will visit them if I am ever in Salisbury.I imagine that it takes a lot of dedication to run a group without having your own building.
The Unitarian chuch I belong to Brighton and Hove also has strong connections with the Worthing Unitarian Fellowship; Worthing is about 16 miles from us, and this Fellowship meet at the Friends Meeting House. There could well be other examples of some sort of affinity betweeen the Unitarians and the Society of Friends.
www.brightonunitarianchurch.org.uk

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Nozem said:
Well spotted, I had forgotten that Salisbury has Unitarian Universalists - I think that they are quite a small group, they meet monthly rather than each Sunday.
That's very cool!

I imagine that it takes a lot of dedication to run a group without having your own building.
A lot of UU churches will rent out buildings or space somewhere until they have enough money to build their own church. Especially new ones that spring up out of larger, more established UU churches. Most of the time, I think the new congregations are formed because the older church just doesn't have the space for all the people that want to attend. So, a group will break off and start a congregation in an area that is most needed population-wise. This is what my church did.

Nozem

The advantages of having a church building are manifold. It is great to have a designated space for Unitarian worship, to have a permanent presence in the town centre, where people can wander in and take Unitarian literature to read or just casually drop by for a service without any obligation to turn up ever again. Also having the building which we can rent out for community events shows that we can offer something to the community and hopefully like minded people who may be drawn to Unitarianism will get that further opportunity to be made aware of our existence.We are not knocking on peoples' doors or trying to grab people to talk to in the streets, so a permanent building helps to remind folk that we are about. I think that I'd have taken far longer to get round to attending a Unitarian service if I felt that I would be with a small group of people, rather than creeping in at the back of the church. Having said all that I would try out a small group-maybe around someone's house-if invited to do so.