• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Union with Shiva

Srivijaya

Any and all poems, selected quotes, dissertations, talks, movies, etc. that are uplifting in nature, and suggest merging with Absolute reality that is Shiva are welcomed in this minute mind.
This comment made me recall a very useful vid I found on this subject. It's quite deep, content-wise, though presented in a new-age kind of way.

The 52 verses of the Yoga Spandakarika by Vasugupta are really worth spending some time with.

Shantanu

Yeah, it's pretty heavy going but worth it.
If you post something, in the Forum you are expected to discuss what you are posting. Otherwise it means nothing to the reader.

Are you saying that Shiva and Shakti is a particular conception of the Nature of God?

Srivijaya

If you post something, in the Forum you are expected to discuss what you are posting. Otherwise it means nothing to the reader.

Are you saying that Shiva and Shakti is a particular conception of the Nature of God?

I'm certainly willing to discuss the video if anyone wishes to raise any points.

Regarding the concept of the divine in Kashmiri Shaivism, there's more information here:
Kashmir Shaivism - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Kapalika

Premium Member
Thank you for sharing this :D

For those who don't know, this was written by Vasugupta in the 800's CE after he had already written the Shiva Sutras kind of as a commentary or follow up.

As a side note, I wanted to ask you @Srivijaya and perhaps this is just me but I found it would sometimes cause misunderstandings when I would say Kashmir Shaivism so I tend to prefer the term Trika now days. Do you have any experience with this?

I can't speak for the original poster but as a believer in Trika I can say that I believe we are Shiva and that Shakti is the expression of Shiva in the material. Shivagama is to attain the status of Shiva.

To quote Swami Lakshman Joo, who helped revive Trika:

"God and the individual are one, to realize this is the essence of Shaivism."

In Trika this is done by way of Shakti hence the focus in this text on the femininity. The Triad Shiva, Shakti and Tantric (Anu) is a reflection of this as Anu (individual, limited self) finds way to Shiva (transcendent) through Shakti. This is also reflected in our other triad, ParaShakti, ParaParaShakti and AparaShakti.

Shiva is the transcendent above all, Shakti is that expression... so Shiva and Shakti are, as you say, conceptions of the nature of god yes, but also in this system the way by which one realizes that inherent nature.

I hope that explains what Shiva and Shakti is meant by here.

Regarding the concept of the divine in Kashmiri Shaivism, there's more information here:
Kashmir Shaivism - Wikipedia

I also find the Wikipedia article to be kind of inadequate. There was some edit wars over a year ago and a lot of good information is now not on the current page. That said, it's at least a start.

Srivijaya

As a side note, I wanted to ask you @Srivijaya and perhaps this is just me but I found it would sometimes cause misunderstandings when I would say Kashmir Shaivism so I tend to prefer the term Trika now days. Do you have any experience with this?
@ Kapalika,
I think the biggest problem I have encountered is a general lack of interest or awareness about it within dharma traditions. It's tragic, as it is an amazing system. I encountered it from my background in Vajrayana Buddhism and found it mind-blowing. I think it perfectly complements Mahamudra and Dzogchen teachings within Tibetan traditions.

I can't speak for the original poster but as a believer in Trika I can say that I believe we are Shiva and that Shakti is the expression of Shiva in the material.
That's my understanding too; the volitional movement of Shiva.

That said, it's at least a start.
Better than nothing.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I encountered it from my background in Vajrayana Buddhism and found it mind-blowing. I think it perfectly complements Mahamudra and Dzogchen teachings within Tibetan traditions.

I've found a lot of similarities too with Vajrayana. From what I understand this was due to some mutual influence long ago (Trika was also influenced by parts of Shakta). One time I tried to bring this up with a Tibetan monk in person and sadly he wasn't aware what I was talking about. It seems people are just generally not aware of Trika and sometimes not much out of what they themselves practice.

Srivijaya

I've found a lot of similarities too with Vajrayana. From what I understand this was due to some mutual influence long ago (Trika was also influenced by parts of Shakta). One time I tried to bring this up with a Tibetan monk in person and sadly he wasn't aware what I was talking about. It seems people are just generally not aware of Trika and sometimes not much out of what they themselves practice.
This is my impression too. I think northern India/Kashmir was once a melting pot of ideas and practices and with some historical masters it isn't clear whether they were Shaivite or Buddhist - I suspect they didn't themselves make that distinction. Tantra, of course, is Hindu as well as Buddhist, so again, the lines are blurred. With internal yoga based on the subtle mind/body the practice is de-facto the same. It can be labelled differently and be quantified in unique and distinctive ways, but the underlying process does not differ.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The lines are blurred in Tantra and the lines are blurred even between Hinduism and Buddhism. The Indian religions did not start as separate religions from Hinduism but as sects (Mata or Pantha).