• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding the ethics of veganism.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I am considering becoming vegan, for ethical reasons.

However, I am unsure if veganism is the ethical choice, and for what reasons.

If I reason that I shouldn't contribute to the slaughter of animals because they are alive and sensitive and conscious, I can also extend that reasoning to plants. Perhaps that may seem like a silly jump to some people.

Just, we generally don't eat other humans. Why? There is a line somewhere that we drew that we won't cross. That line is different for everyone. Most people will eat animals. Even more have no qualms about eating plants. Where do we place this line?

If it's ok to eat plants, a living organism, then is it ok to eat animals? And if it's ok to eat animals, is it ok to eat humans as well?

Humans are "more conscious" than animals? That can't be it, we are just conscious in different ways. Same with plants.

Most won't eat a puppy, yet they'll eat a cow, so clearly the line is blurry and inconsistent. How do we decide what species are doomed to be mass produced to be slaughtered?

Do I judge the lion for eating the gazelle? No. But humans do not need to eat meat. By choice we can rise above carnivorism and survive without killing other animals. So there is a distinction drawn between humans and other animals, a standard that only perhaps we are capable of reaching (rising above our carnivorism).

Idk yo