• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Muslim moderates demand that their religious festivals become bank holidays

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400605&in_page_id=1770

In a recent meeting between Communities Minister Ruth Kelly and a number of liberal Muslim leaders, the latter group demanded that, if Muslim youth were to feel that they were being treated equally, Muslim festivals would need to be made into bank holidays for Muslim citizens in the UK and Sharia law would have to be implimented in family cases in which Muslims are involved.

Now, forgive me at being rather incredulous at this. Non-Muslims (Zimmis) in an Islamic state are completely subject to Shariah, so why should Muslims in non-Muslim communities be given special dispensation to adhere to different laws than the rest of the populace? Does this not speak an inherent hypocrisy and derogatory opinion of non-Muslim religions within the view of the community leaders who suggested this adjustment?

As Muslims in the UK and other predominantly Christian nations have far more rights (in that they can proselytize, build new places of worship and print their holy texts) than non-Muslims in Muslim nations, I consider the view that Muslims living in western countries are being "oppressed" is completely ludicrous.

If these sections within the Ummah are so determined to have their own rules, then perhaps they should remain within countries that share their worldview.

c0da

It can create tensions if you have a 'one law for some, another law for others' policy.

I think if Muslim holidays are going to be made Bank Holidays, it should be for all UK citizens, not just Muslim citizens. Although, to be honest, I don't see why a working Muslim person doesn't just book the specific days off as holidays. Thats what I did back in May when the Buddhist Vesak came around (although I think getting the day off was motivated by fact that it was FA Cup final day almost as much as it was for religious reasons!:D)

If these sections within the Ummah are so determined to have their own rules, then perhaps they should remain within countries that share their worldview.
What you have to remember is that plenty of the Muslims calling for the terms stated in the article you posted will be British born Muslims.

Booko

Deviled Hen
c0da said:
What you have to remember is that plenty of the Muslims calling for the terms stated in the article you posted will be British born Muslims.
I'm an American-born Baha'i, but it hasn't occured to me to demand that my holy days be declared bank holidays. :confused:

The kids can take off school without penalty (other than having to get caught up on the homework), so that's fine.

c0da

I'm an American-born Baha'i, but it hasn't occured to me to demand that my holy days be declared bank holidays. :confused:

Of course, I was only pointing out that some of the Muslims making the calls cannot "remain in countries that share their worldview", as was suggested in the OP, because they have always lived in Britain.

If I was to start making demands about having my religious days off it would purely to score a cheap shot against my boss at work!:p Just Kidding:)

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Ah yes... I do apologise about the "remain in... etc" remark. Perhaps they should emigrate?

I think most religious groups tend to be flagmatic about this - opting for a very "When in Rome" sort of view. So long as they can take days off when they need to celebrate a festival, they don't mind. It does rather irk me that some Muslims seem to be asking for extra.

I agree about the potential divisiveness of making rules only apply to a specific faith community. It's problematic certainly.

Booko

Deviled Hen
jamaesi said:
Why not have no religious holidays off? That would be fair to everyone.

Give everyone a number of days off, and they can spend it on whatever religious event they like, even World Cup? :D

That would work for most things, but I can tell you from experience you don't want to rock the boat and suggest that in a lot of places. You will be considered an uppity cultist and might even get yourself fired eventually for daring to suggest there are other religious holidays that might be of importance.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Give everyone a number of days off, and they can spend it on whatever religious event they like, even World Cup? :D
Now now, most people take that off as a sick day already! Of course, I'm sure they feel religious holiday is more suiting- unless their team looses... :eek: :cover:

That would work for most things, but I can tell you from experience you don't want to rock the boat and suggest that in a lot of places. You will be considered an uppity cultist and might even get yourself fired eventually for daring to suggest there are other religious holidays that might be of importance.
It's a pity that's how it is now, your idea would work quite well.

kai

ragamuffin
jamaesi said:
Why not have no religious holidays off? That would be fair to everyone.
thats exactly what annoys a lot of people ,do away with christmas and easter holidays in case we offend the Muslims change British foreign policy because it is offending the Muslims ,why is it always the Muslims i dont hear the sikhs or hindus complaining all the time about how bad it is to live in britain or they want this or they want that. The chinese celebrate their new year without complaining. this country is bending over backwards in fear of upsetting muslims i beleive they will even do it

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think any law must be applied on all over UK.

By the way, due the fact that i don't live in the west and i havn't been there, i have a question.

Do Christians and Jewish have their own festivals bank holidays?

Thanks .. :)

kai

ragamuffin
The Truth said:
I think any law must be applied on all over UK.

By the way, due the fact that i don't live in the west and i havn't been there, i have a question.

Do Christians and Jewish have their own festivals bank holidays?

Thanks .. :)
in the UK all religions can celebrate festivals or close their businesses for a holiday or basically do as they wish .a bank holiday is a national holiday when all banks shops etc are closed although these days a lot of shops do open
these are the bank holidays in England and wales , those in scotland and N ireland are slightly different
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Year's Day, [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easter Monday, [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May Day (not necessarily 1 May),[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spring Holiday[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] at the end of May [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Late Summer Holiday at the end of [/FONT]August, and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boxing Day (26 December or the Monday nearest) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Common Law Holidays (National holidays)[/FONT]​

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Year's Day, [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easter Monday, [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May Day (not necessarily 1 May),[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spring Holiday[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] at the end of May [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Late Summer Holiday at the end of [/FONT]August, and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boxing Day (26 December or the Monday nearest) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Common Law Holidays (National holidays)[/FONT]​

Thanks dear kai, i guess most of is national or Christian celebrations. Is it?

c0da

Aren't thier more Muslims then believing anglicans in England now?

There was an article in the Hindustan Times year or so back that said a few thousand more Muslims attend worship than Anglicans. This led to some Muslim's claiming they deserve more representation in the House of Commons because of the findings. And there was silly old me thinking there was such thing as seperation of church and state.:sarcastic

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
c0da said:
There was an article in the Hindustan Times year or so back that said a few thousand more Muslims attend worship than Anglicans. This led to some Muslim's claiming they deserve more representation in the House of Commons because of the findings. And there was silly old me thinking there was such thing as seperation of church and state.:sarcastic

Unfortunately, Anglicans are still tied up being the "state church". I personally am in favour of dissestablishment - then we could go and do our own thing without having to consult the government :-/

However, 71% of people in the UK still name themselves Christians. With this being the case, I suspect that if the Muslim community did try to get their religious representatives in gov. instead of, or even in addition to, Anglican bishops, most Anglicans and secularists would be up in arms.

I personally am in favour of seperation of Church and state - when governments control churches it usually sucks the life out of them :(

Thanks dear kai, i guess most of is national or Christian celebrations. Is it?

Well only two. Easter Monday has no religious significance that I know of, May Day is a pagan festival and Boxing Day is just when the servants in posh households used to get presents (or so I'm told.)

Christmas Day is not even the most important Christian festival - one might even say that it has ceased to be an exclusively Christian festival and is now a secular holiday - most people in the UK celebrate Christmas even if they are not Christian. Good Friday is the only overtly religious holiday and besides, Christians are in the majority (even if it is in name only.)

Due to the influence of Pelagius, popular Christianity in England has always been a case of do good and God will be pleased, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Elvendon said:
Well only two. Easter Monday has no religious significance that I know of, May Day is a pagan festival and Boxing Day is just when the servants in posh households used to get presents (or so I'm told.)
Easter Monday is a holiday in lieu. May Day a synonym for labour day as far as I'm aware, and Boxing Day is the day you put the naff and faulty gifts back in their boxes and return them to the stores they came from.:p

Booko

Deviled Hen
c0da said:

:confused: Uh, if people voted for MPs accordingly, wouldn't there be more representation already?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Elvendon said:
I personally am in favour of seperation of Church and state - when governments control churches it usually sucks the life out of them :(

And vice versa. :yes:

I would've thought four. Let's face it, if it weren't for Easter, would you have Easter Monday off? If it weren't for Christmas, would you have Boxing Day?

Christmas Day is not even the most important Christian festival - one might even say that it has ceased to be an exclusively Christian festival and is now a secular holiday - most people in the UK celebrate Christmas even if they are not Christian. Good Friday is the only overtly religious holiday and besides, Christians are in the majority (even if it is in name only.)

Christmas is and is not a secular holiday.

There are plenty of people who are not religious who celebrate it -- but they pretty much all come from Christian backgrounds.

Observant Jews and Muslims around here do not celebrate Christmas. We only celebrate Christmas to honor our one remaining parent. When she goes, it'll be just another day off. Many Baha'is here are in similar situations.

Some of the Hindus in my area put up big light displays in December, because it reminds them of Diwali and they think it looks cool, which it does. If my neighborhood had an organized thing about putting up lights, as some do, then I would put up lights just out of community spirit.

We put up lights in the house in late February for our holidays.

kai

ragamuffin
Booko said:
:confused: Uh, if people voted for MPs accordingly, wouldn't there be more representation already?
we dont usually vote for our mps on a religious basis but on party policy