• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK Census

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why? I don't identify as British, my current passport is European
This has nothing to do with one's passport. At least for me it's about my history, my language, my culture, my education - all those things are British, and primarily English at that. Whether I like it or not isn't the point.

Altfish

Veteran Member
This has nothing to do with one's passport. At least for me it's about my history, my language, my culture, my education - all those things are British, and primarily English at that. Whether I like it or not isn't the point.
Fine, you put British.
I have German ancestors only about 4 generations back. As I say, I identify as European

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The next census of the population of the UK takes place on 21st March this year. The UK does this every 10-years.

There have been plenty of campaigns to get people to vote in 'inventive' ways previously. Most famously was /is the religious section where in 2001 people were encouraged to put 'Other' and then write in "Jedi Knight" - something like 330,000 people followed the advice.

The Humanists always argue that if you don't go to church, you should put "No religion" rather than the religion you were raised in.

This year a pro-European group are suggesting in the Nationality Question, which asks "How do you define your National Identity?
The options you are given are ..
  • British
  • English
  • Scottish
  • Welsh.
  • Northern Irish
  • Other

The pro-European group are suggesting that you tick "Other" and in the box available you write "European"

I think I will do that

I'd suppose it is possible to have no national identity. It's mostly about how you feel anyway.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But British automatically includes European. You cannot be British without being European. That's like saying you're Texan but not American. So by saying you're Texan, that also includes American; you don't need to say that.

Meh...you could call yourself Liverpudlian, English, British, European or an Earthling.
Each is correct, and by doing it at a lower level (eg. Liverpudlian) you are technically associating yourself with each overarching level too.

But it is somewhat informative if you identify as British, rather than English. Or European rather than British.

Orbit

I'm a planet
What are the practical ramifications of checking one box over another? Does it affect resource allocation or government funding/representation?

Altfish

Veteran Member
What are the practical ramifications of checking one box over another? Does it affect resource allocation or government funding/representation?
It can do, but not I think with this question.
But the likes of the 'How many children have you?" - will lead to planning of new schools

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The next census of the population of the UK takes place on 21st March this year. The UK does this every 10-years.

There have been plenty of campaigns to get people to vote in 'inventive' ways previously. Most famously was /is the religious section where in 2001 people were encouraged to put 'Other' and then write in "Jedi Knight" - something like 330,000 people followed the advice.

The Humanists always argue that if you don't go to church, you should put "No religion" rather than the religion you were raised in.

This year a pro-European group are suggesting in the Nationality Question, which asks "How do you define your National Identity?
The options you are given are ..
  • British
  • English
  • Scottish
  • Welsh.
  • Northern Irish
  • Other

The pro-European group are suggesting that you tick "Other" and in the box available you write "European"

I think I will do that

I'm going to vote "other", and hope they get enough MPs. :p

Martin

It can do, but not I think with this question.
But the likes of the 'How many children have you?" - will lead to planning of new schools

I do wonder about the relevance of a census in the" information age". Most of this information is already held by government departments, and is regularly collated, analysed and reported by ONS. And of course Google is a mine of information.

It's already obvious for example that there's a housing shortage in the UK. You don't need a census to tell you that.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
I do wonder about the relevance of a census in the" information age". Most of this information is already held by government departments, and is regularly collated, analysed and reported by ONS. And of course Google is a mine of information.

It's already obvious for example that there's a housing shortage in the UK. You don't need a census to tell you that.
The Census gives a full survey of ALL the population. All other surveys are samples.

It is also handy in 100-years time to genealogists

Martin

The Census gives a full survey of ALL the population. All other surveys are samples.

It is also handy in 100-years time to genealogists

I wasn't thinking of surveys, I was thinking about the comprehensive information held by agencies like the NHS, Dept. of Work and Pensions, Education Dept., etc.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I wasn't thinking of surveys, I was thinking about the comprehensive information held by agencies like the NHS, Dept. of Work and Pensions, Education Dept., etc.
If only the UK had joined up thinking - it doesn't

Not sure how you'd find out 'religious' affiliations and the likes though.

Martin

Not sure how you'd find out 'religious' affiliations and the likes though.

Is there a solid argument for using taxpayers' money to find out peoples' religious affiliation, for example? And can information like this be put to any constructive use? I'm not convinced.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is there a solid argument for using taxpayers' money to find out peoples' religious affiliation, for example? And can information like this be put to any constructive use? I'm not convinced.
Remember the UK doesn't have separation of state and religion - we have religious schools funded by the state.
So it is vitally important that we know the religious breakdown of the country.