• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U.S. bishop calls for more pressure to stop violence in Darfur

Scott1

w.gif
ASHINGTON (CNS) -- International pressure must be applied to the Sudanese government and rebel forces in order to end the violence and suffering in the Darfur region, said the chairman of the U.S. bishops' international policy committee.

A larger presence of African Union troops in Darfur was needed for a sustainable peace, said the chairman, Bishop John H. Ricard of Pensacola-Tallahassee, Fla.

The bishop offered his support for a U.S. House resolution, the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act, which calls for an increase of African peacekeeping troops in Darfur and for the perpetrators of violence in Darfur to be brought before the International Court of Justice.

The act also calls for a stronger mandate for international troops and for an increase in logistical support for the troops from the international community.

"We believe this legislation will give added momentum to the search for a genuine peace in Darfur and relief for its suffering people," Bishop Ricard said in an Aug. 10 statement.

Bishop Ricard, who visited Darfur in August 2004, said the United States and international community "can and must do more to end this moral and humanitarian crisis."

"During my own travels to Sudan and Darfur, I have seen the untold human suffering and other assaults upon the human dignity of our innocent brothers and sisters. We cannot stand idly by while human life is threatened," he said.

After returning from his 2004 trip to Darfur, Bishop Ricard told Catholic News Service that there was "no question" that the killings in Darfur represented ethnic cleansing.

U.N. officials say more than 180,000 people have died in the last two years because of armed conflict in Darfur. Human rights advocates place the death toll as high as 400,000.

www.catholic.org

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
That's great Scott; unfortunately it is a tip off an iceberg........

http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/sovereign/failed/2004/0330crisis.htm demonstrates the sad fact that virtually every African state is in a perpetual state of civil war, ethnic cleansing......:(

That money and help is given to the victims in Darfur is great - but it will do nothing much more (from my own knowledge of the 'African problem') than prolong the agony of those it is there to help.

Of course, before you even think the thought - I am not saying "The money is wasted on these guys, they may as well be left to die sooner rather than later" - I hope you know that I would not think that way - I am more concerned that the root problems are not being addressed - there is little validity in putting plasters over a septic wound.........:(