• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Laws in the New Testament

Many Sages One Truth

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't the New Testament seem to speak about two laws? It speaks of the law of sin and death, and the law of Christ/love. What do you think this means, that there are two laws, and what are their connections with each other?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You may be thinking of this:

37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” - Matthew 22:37-40

Many Sages One Truth

No I'm thinking of something that Paul said:

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, I see. I never paid too much attention to Paul or the writings of the other disciples, only to what Jesus said. Sorry I was no help. :(

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't the New Testament seem to speak about two laws? It speaks of the law of sin and death, and the law of Christ/love. What do you think this means, that there are two laws, and what are their connections with each other?
Paul's reference to "the Law of sin and death" is a reference to the Old Law (the Law of Moses). He is talking about how in Christ we have been freed from the Law of Moses.