• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Creation Stories

idea

Question Everything
Why are there 2 creation stories? How could God create the same thing twice? What is the point for Genesis 1 and 2????

in case no other LDS posters have been on here yet..there are two different creative periods:

- one in heaven “the generations of the heavens”
- one on earth

our spirits, everything in fact, was organized in heaven before it was placed onto the earth...

chapter 2 is discussing formation/organization in heaven, "the generations of heaven" before spirits were placed in the Earth… see vs 5. … first He forms Adam’s spirit, then He places the spirit in a formed body in Eden…

4 ¶ These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
God has created worlds without number.... I believe that a new world, or a new age as some would say, started here ~6,000 years ago when a new set of spiritual beings decended from heaven (from Eden) and joined this spiritually dead world.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe in God; I just think there are a lot of stories in the Bible that are adaptations of other mythologies.

There are various hypothesis of the two creations stories. One is that there were two versions written by two different authors and when the bible was canonized they were left in. Another was that the second story is a expansion of the first.

There is a more recent version...that strips the name of Moses and the title of Genesis from the first page.
It is a 'creationist' bible and begins Chapter Two declaring Chapter Two to be a retelling of Chapter One.
I believe that to be a deliberate lie.

Yes I agree that most Christians as well as other religions believe everything that is written in the bible word for word story for story. However, that does not mean that there are other explanations for what it written. One must have a open mind and explore other possibilities. One can do that without destroying their belief in God.

In my explanation...no one surrenders any belief.
Want your evolution?...Chapter One...Day Six.
Want your science?...Chapter Two....

No doubt....
When the decision about what to leave in the book and what to take out was made....
everybody argued.

But I think they succeeded on composing what was needed.

No need to read between the lines.
Just use that open mind you mentioned, and read again.... this thread.