• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to understand stuff

Cataibhach

Hi, greetings :) I'm newww

I'm very interested in Shamanic cultures, and shamanism. I'd like to visit a Sami tribe in Norway (or Sweden) one day to experience it for myself.

I actually read a great book: The Mystery Of The Crystal Skulls' which explained to me much about the shaman's/indigenous peoples' view of the universe, which to me makes more sence.

Can I ask something about reality? I love science, although it's annoying at times, most scientists seem to follow what everyone else is doing rather than daring to promote some unexplainable ability. Thing is, some of this stuff appears to have been explained scientisfically, at least to an extent.
What I'm refering to is when magnetic fields, or simply small discharges of abnormal energy: affect people, and make them apparently 'hallucinate' etc. Now, whereas we would say that changes in the earth's magnetic field help us to see into different 'dimentions' so to speak, scientists seem to think that these events cause us to imagine stuff. Why is it, for example, that one person would see The Virgin Mary, whereas another might see a Hindu God etc, is their imagination covering up the truth or whatt?
Now, Ley Lines appear to built upon these strange areas of our planet which can change our perception. But how does one tell what is imagination from what is being 'channeled' through? The same goes for hallucinations after taking funny mushrooms etc. Would we be seeing the spirit of a dead loved one, or is it our subconsciouss? Or perhaps it's something to do with the power of attraction... I don't knooo :S:S:S

Am I just not getting something, it feels like that lol.

Any replies greatly appreciated

sonno

It seems like the shamanic scene here is pretty dead. I'd say with hallucinations that they're our perception of energy. The origin of that energy is a little murky in my concept of it, though.

Mr Cheese

you need to be more specific....I have lived near a ley line..I know of their energy and power...

but what are you asking?

Shaminism is "cool" but well it depends on what you are drawn to

Mr Cheese

Why is it, for example, that one person would see The Virgin Mary, whereas another might see a Hindu God etc, is their imagination covering up the truth or whatt?
Now, Ley Lines appear to built upon these strange areas of our planet which can change our perception. But how does one tell what is imagination from what is being 'channeled' through? The same goes for hallucinations after taking funny mushrooms etc. Would we be seeing the spirit of a dead loved one, or is it our subconsciouss? Or perhaps it's something to do with the power of attraction... I don't knooo :S:S:S

Am I just not getting something, it feels like that lol.

Any replies greatly appreciated

ah let me see

why does one see the virgin mary and another see Vishnu?

Well simple answer thing of it like this

Some people gain nourishment from potatoes others from beef.

We "see" what we are capable and ready to see, wherever we "are"

How does one tell what is imagination and what is real?
The simplest answer is one can travel back to a place REPEATEDLY

hope this helps.....

its difficult to discuss such things...

I can go further if you like

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Hallucinogens have had a major role in all religions iconology and mythology through visions and experiences. Its not that your local 14th century monk went down to the local dealer to buy some tabs. In the mini iceage of the middle ages crops, especially rye suited to colder climates was often contaminated with ergot, (from which LSD-25 is made). The extremely real hallucinations this produces would have a profound perceptual effect on the unknowing victim allowing him/her to see devils fairies imps ogres witches deamons and a myriad of other anomalies as the drug shifts the visualization of our "reality." Thus reinforcing the learnt concepts of aura's, energy and spiritual ideology of the individual.

Aztec Heiroglyphs are obviously mushroom inspired to anyone who has endulged. Fasting starvation and thirst can also induce these distortions of the perceived world.

Cheers

Kind of a loaded question with psychological and spiritual undertones, eh

Why do angels appear to some, djinns to others, kappa, coyote, what-have-yous: it is what their mind will accept. If you are a devout follower of a religion or pantheon, your mind will accept those images. Now, if you are subjected to stimuli that will "open your senses" to some ultra-dimension energy, you will experience only what your mind is capable of; you can only acknowledge that which you have at least the slightest grasp of. The message may be the same to a Christian follower and an Asatru follower, but they would receive the messages through messengers they can accept, messengers whose frequencies they are attuned to, so to speak. What we see, the voice we would hear is influenced by our sub-conscious, even though it may be a higher power reaching to us, or just an hallucination.

I have studied shamanism for years, it has spoken to something inside of me. And though my path strays often from it, I still find my way back. If you have some questions or just want to banter, hit me up sometime.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Can I ask something about reality? I love science, although it's annoying at times, most scientists seem to follow what everyone else is doing rather than daring to promote some unexplainable ability. Thing is, some of this stuff appears to have been explained scientisfically, at least to an extent.
Science is about the measurable physical world... how does one measure the "supernatural"? Once you measure it, it's just natural. ;)

What I'm refering to is when magnetic fields, or simply small discharges of abnormal energy: affect people, and make them apparently 'hallucinate' etc. Now, whereas we would say that changes in the earth's magnetic field help us to see into different 'dimentions' so to speak, scientists seem to think that these events cause us to imagine stuff. Why is it, for example, that one person would see The Virgin Mary, whereas another might see a Hindu God etc, is their imagination covering up the truth or whatt?
The brain is a many splendored thing... As has already been said, culture and experience play a major role in what one experiences.
The subconscious is the source for visions and the like, you get what you "need" so to speak.

wa:do