• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trusting the Bible

jojom

Describe for us how translating can be done perfectly.
God would make sure they did it right. I'm sure he could figure it out.

Would The Lord not have to enter the person, take away his freedom for a time, control his thinking and his writing, at the same time making no mistakes in penmanship.
Yup. He's certainly done far more to people, both good and bad.

And how many times and with how many people would this need to happen?
My guess is every time a language changed sufficiently to render the current version unintelligible, and when it's given to people of a different language.

jojom

Not such a far cry. And as I don't use Christian translations, I'm not familiar with the various renderings of Isaiah 45:7. The verse itself is pretty straightforward in the Hebrew, so I'm not sure how many ways there could be to read that.
As I pointed out in post 40, "evil" is also rendered as sorrow, doom, woe, trouble, calamity, and disaster.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God would make sure they did it right. I'm sure he could figure it out.

Yup. He's certainly done far more to people, both good and bad.

My guess is every time a language changed sufficiently to render the current version unintelligible, and when it's given to people of a different language.
Are you saying you believe God gets into a person to make sure they do not make a mistake?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No matter where the inaccuracy lies, in the translation or as a figure of speech, if a mistranslation leads to a misunderstanding in a single verse, then the Bible cannot be considered to be infallible. Christians relie on the Bible they're reading to convey the truth, and if an error occurs than the truth could be compromised, and if it is then the Bible would be fallible. And as i said, If small, insignificant verse #6 is wrong, then how can you put your faith in the belief that immensely important verse #22 is right? I don't see how you can,
In post 101 you say God can make sure it is right. So? What are you talking about?

jojom

In post 101 you say God can make sure it is right. So? What are you talking about?
No, I'm saying God would make sure they did it right. I'm sure he could figure it out. When one considers all the various translations that have popped up it's obvious this never happened.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, I'm saying God would make sure they did it right. I'm sure he could figure it out. When one considers all the various translations that have popped up it's obvious this never happened.
According to you God would do something and that something was not done so.....there is no "GOD". Am I reading you right?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So are you saying god is incapable of making a person do a specific thing or simply wouldn't do it?
It is not in harmony with divine justice to make someone write what words God wants but not make people quit sinning.

jojom

According to you God would do something and that something was not done so.....there is no "GOD". Am I reading you right?
Not at all. I'm saying that had god cared about his word being understood he would have made sure it wouldn't be misinterpreted and misrepresented. The evidence indicates he didn't/doesn't.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not at all. I'm saying that had god cared about his word being understood he would have made sure it wouldn't be misinterpreted and misrepresented. The evidence indicates he didn't/doesn't.
I agree. It is not for everyone to understand it all.

jojom

It is not in harmony with divine justice to make someone write what words God wants but not make people quit sinning.
Yeah, that is a bugger, isn't it. Here's an all powerful being who can do absolutely anything he wants, and one of the things he wants is for people live in sin and suffering. Gotta say, I know of a whole lot of people, myself included, who are a lot nicer.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, that is a bugger, isn't it. Here's an all powerful being who can do absolutely anything he wants, and one of the things he wants is for people live in sin and suffering. Gotta say, I know of a whole lot of people, myself included, who are a lot nicer.
God causing men to write perfect words would prove he wants people to sin and thus suffer because interfering would be OK and God doesn't interfere in people's choices. But God doesn't cause men to write perfect words. It is a disgusting lie they tell.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Explaining stupid is so very difficult.

God does not interfere in Earth business. The Earth God gave to humankind to have it in subjection.
God does not subject any person to do the will of God. It is each person's prerogative to do or not to do.
God does not prevent crime against innocence. God does lead a person in wisdom to avoid sinning and being sinned against.

THEY say God does interfere in the writing of Scripture. They have no proof of it.

There is a problem with believing God will control a person to write some words but won't control a person to prevent genocide. Is there an answer to the problem?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to the belief that it is obedience to God's word, The Bible which saves a person, the writing of it had to have been done by control because it must be all right. So God controlled the writing of it. Is this to be believed?

Control: the power to direct a person for the right course of events.

They say God does that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Another problem. Touch nothing holy for if you do then it becomes unclean. Is this correct?

Control needs contact. The Holy God contacts a person to make him write what God will have him write. BUT why is holy not made unclean in that situation?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why is the teaching that God preserves a perfect written word disgusting?

It is because God DOESN'T preserve human innocence.

I call your god a god who makes bad choices.

It is better, according to you, for a word to be just right than it is for a child to be fed and well cared for.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People who trust the Bible won't know when to trust God imho. People who trust God will know how to trust God's word.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't exactly agree. If a lot of people are saying something is true, the first step would be to double check oneself, rather than the majority.
I hear you saying "trust the majority". Do you think I should trust the majority in everything? Why or why not?

What about slavery? There was a time that slavery was agreed upon by the majority. If your rule is right then there would still be slavery, which there is, but just not by the majority......amd how do you think THAT happened? ;)

Last edited: