• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says Iran made ‘big mistake’ by taking down US drone

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Remember when a corrupt government and military spending caused the Soviet Union to collapse? Well, that looks the USA of 2019 to me.
Just exactly as Bin Laden planned, as he knew, much like Soviet Russia, he could never defeat America militarily on the battlefield. But its literally been known since ancient times that long wars are economically devastating and crippling back home for the "away team. The " War on Terror" broke and about bankrupt America. We literally just cannot afford to do it again in Iran. It's like we're also having to explain budgetting to addict who wants to go on a weekend bender after doing one last weekend but insist they live frugally and spend thriftily. Their booz/bomb receipts suggest otherwise, and they're about to spend themselves into homelessness.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
US debt was a problem before the wars. Again if there is no war how is debt relevant?
Actually, during the Clinton administration the debt was dropping. It was the Bush Republicans who shot it through the roof.

You keep saying that there won't be a war? How can you be that confident about what the Iranians will decide to do?
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
No, by Trump starting a war.

It hasn't happened yet.

We had a peace deal. Trump tore it up. We're now headed towards a war.

Speculation.

The Deal was junked and not ratified.

Iran wants to protect itself from their long time enemy, the USA.

That is only one part. Iran has committed acts such as it terrorist funding which becomes protected under the same power of nukes. Iran does not have clean hands.

The status quo is the USA toppling Iranian democracy, attacking them over and over for taking back their country, stealing their cash, and imposing sanctions because they want to defend themselves.
That's the status quo.

This happened in the 50s. Iran does not have a democracy now. It has the facade of one. Look up the Cleric Councils selection process.

But neither the USA nor Iran are what they used to be decades ago. Iran isn't willing to put up with the status quo any more, and they don't have to.

It can stop funding terrorists to start with.

Remember when a corrupt government and military spending caused the Soviet Union to collapse? Well, that looks the the USA of 2019 to me.
Tom

You are ignoring the USSR is not the economic powerhouse the US is.

Shad

Veteran Member
Actually, during the Clinton administration the debt was dropping. It was the Bush Republicans who shot it through the roof.

The debt increased under Clinton. You are confusing budget deficit with debt. Clinton was better with his budget. The debt was vastly increased by total and per year by Bush but Clinton added 670 billion to it. Bush added trillions. Trump is on par for around 6 trillion, more if reelected.

You keep saying that there won't be a war? How can you be that confident about what the Iranians will decide to do?
Tom

Amusing that you are questioning my confidence when all your argument hinge upon a war that is not happening. I am going with the current status while you are speculating about what ifs.

Shad

Veteran Member
Not yet.

Do you really think that tearing up the peace deal was "for peaceful purposes"?
Tom

I think for Trump and the GOP it was thumbing their noises at Obama and keeping more options open than just to starting a war. A lot of POTUS have a habit of removing policy which their party is against when taking office. They also clear out appointment to Fed agencies.

Shad

Veteran Member
Trump tearing up the peace deal happened in the 50s?
Tom

You were taking about democracy. Iran does not have one right now so your point about it was false. The deal had nothing to do with democracy in Iran nor the US for that matter as it wasn't ratified.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You are ignoring the USSR is not the economic powerhouse the US is.
Have you looked at the economic reality around you lately?
We don't make much of anything, we import it. Ford couldn't build a car without their international supply chain.
We've mostly outsourced manufacturing, except for war materials, and now we're starting trade wars with the people who make them for us.
Really, you seem to think that this is still the 50s.
It's not.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
Just exactly as Bin Laden planned, as he knew, much like Soviet Russia, he could never defeat America militarily on the battlefield. But its literally been known since ancient times that long wars are economically devastating and crippling back home for the "away team. The " War on Terror" broke and about bankrupt America. We literally just cannot afford to do it again in Iran. It's like we're also having to explain budgetting to addict who wants to go on a weekend bender after doing one last weekend but insist they live frugally and spend thriftily. Their booz/bomb receipts suggest otherwise, and they're about to spend themselves into homelessness.

WW2 created a massive debt. You need to consider the factors in recovery nor merely the fact there is a war or not.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think for Trump and the GOP it was thumbing their noises at Obama
Cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Trump did promise conflict with everybody from our trading partners to NATO to Iran, and we'll see how well that works out. But at least the rich people got their tax cuts.
Tom

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
BS.
We could stay and support peace, justice, and prosperity for all.

But you and the Christian community as a whole aren't interested in that.

But don't tell me that I'm beating the drums of war because I'm not. I find that incredibly insulting, especially coming from a "Christian".
Tom
That's what we're doing.

Bullpuckey

Yes, you are even if you don't mean to do so. Obviously you the equivalent of Neville Chamberlain. I'm no "Christian" you've ever seen.

Shad

Veteran Member
Have you looked at the economic reality around you lately?

Yes. The US is still on top when the Soviets were never in that position at their peak let alone in the 80s. You have to consider if the economy can support a level of spending or not. You never bother to do so.

We don't make much of anything, we import it. Ford couldn't build a car without their international supply chain.

Production is not the end all be all of an economy. USSR was a massive domestic producer but never was the economic superpower without the ability to trade those products globally.

We've mostly outsourced manufacturing, except for war materials, and now we're starting trade wars with the people who make them for us.

Those nations need the US and are not Iran. Beside the US can easily create/recreate manufacturing even if it will be painful for the customer for years. The sleeping giant.

Really, you seem to think that this is still the 50s.

No just the democracy part which I have been specific about.

It's not.

Never said it was. You made a false point and I corrected you. Now you are ignoring the context of what was said

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I dont support those countries, and US has been bombing or otherwise politically and/or militarily interferring with Iran and other places that call America the Great Satan for about that long now (it goes back further with the British and other European powers).
LOL. I'm still chuckling over your assertion we've been "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" constantly for 30-40 years.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
WW2 created a massive debt. You need to consider the factors in recovery nor merely the fact there is a war or not.
Bin Laden did take those things into consideration. He wasnt dumb. He knew a long, drawn out and expensive war has the potential to rip America apart at the seams. And here we are, our country massively in debt and very deeply divided.

Shad

Veteran Member
Cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Obviously. However the creator of the deal also bares blame for creating something that can be revoked by the next POTUS.

Trump did promise conflict with everybody from our trading partners to NATO to Iran, and we'll see how well that works out. But at least the rich people got their tax cuts.
Tom

Conflict does not mean war. Most of NATO is a joke. It was about time someone in office pointed it out.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
LOL. I'm still chuckling over your assertion we've been "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" constantly for 30-40 years.
Good going at misquoting me and attributing to me what was actually said by Senator John McCain. As for the rest, Ill just assume you think weve been entirely at peace in the region since the later years of the Cold War.

Shad

Veteran Member
Bin Laden did take those things into consideration. He wasnt dumb. He knew a long, drawn out and expensive war has the potential to rip America apart at the seams. And here we are, our country massively in debt and very deeply divided.

Assertion. Link me the economic projections of Osama. I will wait.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh yeah.
I've seen lots of Christians like you.

Especially in the lead up to the invasion of Iraq.
Tom
Isn't funny how "free spirits" and "nonconformists" and everyone else claiming to be unique is the least unique carbon copy of thousands of other people who all fit nice and neatly in the same interchangeable molds?